• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 salkind

salkind

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 07:12 PM

As far as I know, if I am looking a person in RM, and I want to see the data stored in either Ancestry or FamilySearch for that person, I have to do the following:

. For FamilySearch:  Go to one of the main views and click on the FamilySearch icon, wait for it to load, and then click the "Show on FamilyTree" button

. For Ancestry:  Go to one of the main views, click on the WebHints icon, and then click the "Show on Ancestry" button

This is a very common operation for me, and I would like to save the extra clicks and loading time.  Would it be possible to have a direct way of accessing these sites from the main views without all the extra clicks and reading overhead?  One way of doing this in RM7 is to add entries when right clicking on the Person in a main view such as Go To>FamilySearch and Go To>Ancestry.  It would also be nice if there were similar shortcuts from the Person editing screen.

Since RM8 is soon to be released, I am guessing there a more natural way to achieve the same effect there.  But it would be great to be able to go to the web pages of these external services without extra clicks and reading overhead.

#2 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 06:32 AM

Have you tried using the "WebSearch" tab for this?

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8779 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 02:44 PM

While on the Edit Person screen you can use Options>Put FamilySearch ID on clipboard" and then use a browser bookmark to open to FamilySearch's Find tab - https://www.familyse...rg/tree/find/id and paste the FSID there to search. It's a lot faster than waiting for FamilySearch to load.

For the Ancestry Tree a shortcut would be to make a custom search provider in WebSearch. Go to the Ancestry tree online and click on Tree Search and then the "List of all people". Enter John Doe in the search box and use the URL that is returned on the search for the WebSearch Search Results URL.  Use the external browser option in WebSearch if you want it to open in the browser. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 salkind

salkind

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 02:47 PM

A good thought, but it puts me on the wrong page.  For ancestry, I would like it to go to the person's profile page instead of the search records page.  Similarly, I would prefer the main user page for FamilySearch.

#5 salkind

salkind

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 12:06 AM

While on the Edit Person screen you can use Options>Put FamilySearch ID on clipboard" and then use a browser bookmark to open to FamilySearch's Find tab - https://www.familyse...rg/tree/find/id and paste the FSID there to search. It's a lot faster than waiting for FamilySearch to load.

For the Ancestry Tree a shortcut would be to make a custom search provider in WebSearch. Go to the Ancestry tree online and click on Tree Search and then the "List of all people". Enter John Doe in the search box and use the URL that is returned on the search for the WebSearch Search Results URL.  Use the external browser option in WebSearch if you want it to open in the browser.

While this works, it still takes multiple clicks or keystrokes. Providing one click shortcuts from the main and edit person windows to launch the appropriate web page still seems like a worthwhile enhancement to me.