9 replies to this topic

#1 gerwally

gerwally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 06:15 PM

Does anyone know if married women whose maiden names are unknown will be indexed by their married names in RM8 rather than just by their first names?  I have many women by the same first name at the beginning of the index but do not know who they are without opening up their page.

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1582 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 09:59 AM

I handle this in RM7 with extensive use of Alternate Names. I document EVERY variation of a person's name found in various records, so that women with 3 or more marriages typically have 10 or more Alternate Names. I use the Sort Date to cluster them together at the bottom of the Edit Person screen, lumped basically chronologically. Since RM has a dropdown to identify Alternate Names as "birth, maiden, married, etc." but makes NO provision to use those selections in any reports, I routinely just set all of them to AKA.

Here's an example of one Edit Person screen.

RM-alternate-name-list.png

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 11:03 AM

We users don't know unless we are beta testers in which case we agreed to a NDA.

You could change the primary name to the married surname or a string that declares it. Having the married surname there can help with WebSearch and WebHints.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 11:09 AM

A SQLite script could batch convert those Primary names with blank surnames to have the husband's surname. It could be based on this script https://sqlitetoolsf...es-add-married/

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 10:20 PM

When I don't know a woman's birth name I've found it useful to use her spouses surname surrounded by square brackets and to add "Mrs." in the prefix field. I also add an alt married name, using the husband's surname in the surname field. The bracketed names all sort together at the beginning of the RM index list whicxh is convenient for research purposes  and the alt married name sorts alphabetically in the normal parts of the index.

This practice works very well with GedSite. See the index tab of my web site at https://genarchives....ns/up/index.htm.

#6 gerwally

gerwally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 11:22 PM

Does SQLite Tools work with RM7 running under Parallels on a Mac in Windows.  I downloaded the above link to my Mac but do not know how to get it to work with my database.  Thank you for any help you can provide.

#7 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3505 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 04:43 AM

Does anyone know if married women whose maiden names are unknown will be indexed by their married names in RM8 rather than just by their first names?  I have many women by the same first name at the beginning of the index but do not know who they are without opening up their page.

If I do not know information I leave the field blank, I believe that is correct. As regards indexing the married name did you know these also appear in the index providing you turn on Show Alternate Names under options so in the case above by zhangrau Lota will appear in the Index 19 times under the various name variants.

When I highlight those individuals with no birth surname I see in Family View alongside the association to others, it would be very unusual to have someone in my database with no Surname and no family association.

Like zhangrau, I use Alternate Names for Other Spellings but not as extensively, I always record the name as recorded at birth but where that differs from the most common spelling variation the the Name I add that as Alternate Name > Other Spelling so all the Johns etc will group together in the Index regardless of their Surname spelling at birth.

I believe the need for adding something to the Surname or Suffix field to obtain sorting is now redundant although some users have still not broken away from it.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do - demand better

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 12:30 PM

Does SQLite Tools work with RM7 running under Parallels on a Mac in Windows.  I downloaded the above link to my Mac but do not know how to get it to work with my database.  Thank you for any help you can provide.

SQLite Tools for RootsMagic is a website. On it you can find a few small utility apps for Windows along with many SQLite scripts that require an SQLite manager app for them to run. If the utilities and managers can be installed under Windows and can access the RM database the same way as RM itself can, then they should work.

There are also SQLite manager apps that work under the MacOS. If they can access the RM database file then the scripts on the website will also work.

To get started using SQLite with a RM database, visit https://sqlitetoolsf...agic.com/learn/.

#9 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1074 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 08:08 AM

When I don't know a woman's birth name I've found it useful to use her spouses surname surrounded by square brackets and to add "Mrs." in the prefix field.....

We've discussed this once or twice, over the years, and this is what I do as well. I've used a prepended asterisk "*" and other annotation but found that enclosing the married name in square braces "[]" worked best. 

#10 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 11:55 AM

Thanks, Don. I'm glad to learn that the practice is useful to others. Although I don't recall clearly, I may even have gotten the idea from the earlier posts you mention.  As I remarked in my earlier post, the square bracket scheme plays especially well with GedSite.

— Robert