10 replies to this topic

#1 strathglass

strathglass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 05:57 PM

I was trying to edit a source: on the Citation tab I see the editable "Master Source" name.

But to the right of that is an area of text that I cannot edit: see image.

(This is some legacy text it appears from my old TMG setup.)

How can I edit this?? (Need to delete the headings with subtext for: Footnote, Short Footnote, and Bibliography.)

Image:

49902905198_9ce882ea99_h.jpg

#2 strathglass

strathglass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 06:01 PM

I should add the text under "Source comments" at the right is correct, but that text CAN be edited - it is listed in the Source Comments field in the "Master text" tab.

It is the other text shown above that I need to edit (delete), but cannot.

#3 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1588 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 07:09 PM

Can't view you image, I get a black screen with a "not" symbol ʘ (an O with a bar inside)

You dont really say what you've done to get to the screen you're wanting to describe

Lists > Source List

navigate to your Master Source and highlight it

[Edit] button

You're now looking at the template for your Master Source, and things you edit in the left panes will auto-update in the right pane

Is that what you're after?

#4 strathglass

strathglass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 08:14 PM

Hopefully image is now visible in original post.

I did indeed click EDIT on the desired source in the Source List (Lists-->Source List).

I don't know why that would be the TEMPLATE for the master source...that SHOULD be the master source itself.

(Maybe there is something weird about the program if that is the case! I was in the Source List after all, not the Template List!)

#5 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1588 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 09:38 PM

This is what I see. Looks like you are on the correct dialog, except that for some reason your dialog is incomplete.

Do you have your database stored in a protected folder?

Is your database ReadOnly?

RM-edit-source.png

#6 strathglass

strathglass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 10:56 PM

Neither read-only nor protected.

Maybe this has to do with the fact that when I started with RootsMagic (when TMG went under) I imported data from TMG, and included the sources (and source templates) I had in TMG.

For some sources I see the same as your sample, where the text on the right has a corresponding editable field on the left.

But for this one at least, it looks like there is a problem.

I will have to see how many such problems there are: if just a few, I can probably just delete the old source and recreate a new one:

In that case, is there a way to do that and easily update all records that point to the problem source and make them use the new source instead?

#7 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 05:14 AM

Looking at the text in strathglass's image it appears that the magnification is more than 100% when compared with zhangrau's, which could cause some text to be hidden.

#8 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1588 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 07:49 AM

I will have to see how many such problems there are: if just a few, I can probably just delete the old source and recreate a new one:

In that case, is there a way to do that and easily update all records that point to the problem source and make them use the new source instead?

When I decided that I was determined to get my Repositories listed in my Bibliography, I learned that:

-- step one was to modify my original source template (actually, I was using the built-in Book, Basic format template)

-- that involved making a copy of the Book, Basic format template, then learning the Sentence Template Language to add my 4 new fields for repositories and places, and incorporating those fields into the Bibliography sentence

-- step three was to use that new template to create a NEW Master Source, mimicking the original (with the new info added)

-- step four was to merge the OLD Master Source into the NEW Master Source

Task accomplished !!! The new Master Source has the new revisions, and points to everywhere that the old Master Source pointed.

Do this, over and over, for thousands of old Master Sources....

#9 strathglass

strathglass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 06:00 PM

Resizing did not reveal anything unfortunately.

But I was unaware of the source merge feature: after creating a new source with the desired details that didn't have the problem...the merging of the two sources into the new one solved the problem -thanks!

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6443 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 02:50 AM

Sounds like uncommon usage of a source in TMG having no source template but having some description field that RM does not. Only way to tell and to fix en masse is by inspecting and operating on the database with SQLite and an understanding of XML.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8767 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 05:06 PM

Curious about what the source template looks like. The name is in the upper right corner of the Edit Source screen.

Renee
RootsMagic