5 replies to this topic

#1 Johnj_au

Johnj_au

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 08:21 PM

I'm using a scripting program (Automator on a Mac) to automate some RM7 routine tasks, which emulates the keyboard to enter a set of commands and text.

I get that the scripting needs to allow for processing delays - for example it takes RM7 a finite amount of time to convert a date field to the specified format.  So the script needs to wait while this is done before proceeding to the next task.

But I'm finding that sometimes RM7 seems to go AWOL for quite a few seconds.  Also it seems using the Enter key to navigate between citation fields means RM7 responds faster than using the Tab key.

Does anyone have any understanding or experience in the way RM7 responds to user input, particularly the Source Citation screen, as it might affect RM7's responsiveness to keystrokes?

TIA ... John

#2 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 01:35 AM

I am assuming you are discussing RM for Mac. I can’t comment directly as I use RM under full CrossOver, but I have noticed that that seems much more hesitant after input using CrossOver 19 on Catalina compared to the previous levels of CrossOver and MacOS. Noticeably so, as it is something I’m pretty sure I hadn’t noticed at all before. 

As I’m using it for several hours most days - not much else to do here in the UK at the moment when us oldies are being encouraged to stay as isolated possible - so will try to observe more closely where it seems most obvious and comment if I have anything sensible to say.

Edit: changed CrossOver 18 to the correct Crossover 19 - sorry.

Edited by J P, 17 May 2020 - 05:29 AM.

#3 Johnj_au

Johnj_au

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 05:04 AM

Thank J P - yes I am using RM on a Mac under the Wine wrapper.  Like you, I don't remember some of the quite noticeable delays in processing input before now - I am interested in whether there's any logic behind these delays I could factor into my script.

Cheers ... JohnJ

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 05:45 AM

Using keystroke automation is fraught with tripwires. I wonder if your time would be better spent learning how to use SQLite on the RM database.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Johnj_au

Johnj_au

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 12:56 AM

Thanks TomH.  I've seen traffic on SQLite but never got up the courage to use in anger.  Is there a newbie how-to guide that could get me started with minimal risk of corrupting the database?

Thanks ... JohnJ

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 02:52 AM

You could start with https://sqlitetoolsf...agic.com/learn/

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.