#1 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 04:07 PM

Could use some help.

I have come across an unusual case. I'm sure it is not unique, but pobably somewhat rare. I need to post a person who was a "fiance" of a family member to my tree, but I have not found any guidance on how to do this. The couple had been dating for several years and planned to marry in the near future. However, the fiance became very ill and passed away before the wedding could take place. Although they never married, I still want to record the relationship because the person had become very close to the family. Currently, I just have it captured as a note.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3978 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 09:42 PM

There is an Engagement fact that should work for you. It is a standard, built-in fact type. The note could say they were never married because of the death.

Jerry

#3 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 08:18 AM

There is an Engagement fact that should work for you. It is a standard, built-in fact type. The note could say they were never married because of the death.

Jerry

Thanks Jerry.

My bad. With all that is going on these days, I guess I just missed it in the list. That will work fine.

Rick

RickL

#4 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1075 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 01:42 AM

You just have to get over the usual meaning of "spouse". Essentially, it's any relationship strong enough to produce either a paper trail (e.g. marriage license, engagement announcement) or a child.

#5 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 07:29 AM

You just have to get over the usual meaning of "spouse". Essentially, it's any relationship strong enough to produce either a paper trail (e.g. marriage license, engagement announcement) or a child.

Got it....I think that was my problem. That and I had overlooked the "engagement" fact type.

Thanks

Rick

RickL