#1 keithcstone

keithcstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 12:20 PM

or possibly an issue with the download. 

In any case if I leave RM open and idle for any period of time (say to have lunch) it will start consuming large amounts of CPU, basically locking up the machine (and I have an I7 MacBook Pro). The only way out is to Force Quit. I also see the same effect after a long work session, but it seems to happen most often when I go away from the machine and come back without closing RM.

I've followed the full deinstall and install process (a couple times) but in subsequent (after the first) installations I downloaded from the normal Mac download page assuming you'd put the wrapper in the standard package. I'm not on Catalina, but wanted the new wrapper to clear up issues with TreeShare (which it seems to have fixed a couple bu not all).

#2 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 01:43 PM

Welcome to the RootsMagic  Mac Twilight Zone. You hare experiencing typical behavior and it happens even with the latest beta version of Mac OS. It is not you or your computer.

#3 keithcstone

keithcstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 06:47 PM

Welcome to the RootsMagic  Mac Twilight Zone. You hare experiencing typical behavior and it happens even with the latest beta version of Mac OS. It is not you or your computer.

I understand that, I’ve been using RootsMagic on a Mac for years. It’s actually been quite stable with the exception of some Treeshare quirks (delete and unlink not working). This problem is something related to the new wrapper, as I never had the issue previously. Part of the issue may be that I also have Family Tree Builder, which also uses a wrapper, but they haven’t done a 64 bit update yet. When I check the system report It says RootsMagic is 64 bit.

#4 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 02:46 PM

Keith;  you might do better with RM7 (definitely in the twighlight zone) under catalina if this is not an issue with other 32 bit apps. RM7 has many problems under mojave especially with family search. It all depends on what features you try to use.

I updated to Catalina 10.15.4 a few days ago and found it much smoother and faster than mojave on my mid 2014 MBP 13. However, like most mac users I have abandoned RM7 so don't know of specific OS problems there.

#5 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 09:45 AM

Rooty, what evidence is there that "most mac users" have abandoned RM7? How can you know that? If you've abandoned RM7, why bother to post here at all? Trolling can hurt the company; that can hurt RootsMagic development, which ultimately hurts me.

FWIW, my opinion is that the development of most genealogy software has been substantially slowed by the rush to the cloud. Railing at RootsMagic won't accelerate the release of a native Mac version by one minute. I'm as impatient as you are, but I don't think that carping will help.

Robert

#6 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 09:53 AM

Rooty, what evidence is there that "most mac users" have abandoned RM7? How can you know that? If you've abandoned RM7, why bother to post here at all? Trolling can hurt the company; that can hurt RootsMagic development, which ultimately hurts me.

FWIW, my opinion is that the development of most genealogy software has been substantially slowed by the rush to the cloud. Railing at RootsMagic won't accelerate the release of a native Mac version by one minute. I'm as impatient as you are, but I don't think that carping will help.

Robert

the complete inactivity of the mac forum in the past few months and many comments from mac users on their wasted 2019 purchase are less than subtle hints. I follow the windows forum for genealogy general insights and keep a glimmer of hope for RM8 but I have seen more sunsets than are ahead for me.

#7 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 10:06 AM

>>> I have seen more sunsets than are ahead for me. <<<

Likewise. RM8 — even if there were a few unsquashed bugs — can't come too soon for me.

I switched to RootsMagic when TMG support ended because I felt very strongly that when my children became responsible for maintaining the project that the availability of tech support would be important for them. I've never regretted the choice; the addition of John Cardinal's GedSite to my project has been an unexpected and welcome benefit. I'm hoping to have RM8 and GedSite working together smoothly before I hand over the reins.

Robert

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 18 May 2020 - 04:47 PM

I think more Mac users are on the RootsMagic Users Facebook group then on the forums now. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 05:23 PM

I think more Mac users are on the RootsMagic Users Facebook group then on the forums now. 

Amazing that any sane person is still using facebook. 

#10 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 05:39 PM

Amazing that any sane person is still using facebook. 

Only 28,671 followers.