Two or three weeks ago there was a thread of interest on RM's Facebook page concerning media that was described as missing. The user was a relatively new RM user, but he had an IT background and some experience with SQL. He had installed an SQLite manager and was trying to look at his RM database and find out what happened to his missing media. Even though he knew SQL, he had difficulty in figuring out the schema for RM's SQLite database.
I volunteered to help and we took the discussion offline. I wrote him some SQL and finally he sent me a copy of his database to look at myself. It turned out that his "missing" media wasn't missing at all. Rather, it was tagged to citations that were linked to primary names. The media had come into his database from ancestry, where the primary name can have citations and media. As as been discussed before on these forums, RM7's database provides for storage of a note, images, and citations for the primary name but none of this is visible through the RM7 user interface.This problem creates heartburn for TreeShare, and we already know that this problem has been addressed in RM8.
A couple of things surprised me about his database. One was that you actually can see the "missing" media in Lists>Media gallery, and you can even see the citations. I was not expecting to be able see the media which was tagged to citations for primary names from the RM7 user interface. Normally, when you look at media in Lists>Media gallery when the media is for citations, you can see what the citation is attached to. In the case of these media files, you can see the citation in the RM7 user interface but you can't see what the citation is linked to.
The second surprise is that many of these media files had a file name but had a null file path. I don't know what happened. I assume that TreeShare lost part of the tags because the citations were for the primary name.
The third surprise was the for a very few of the media files, the file path was not null but it did not start with a drive letter. It's almost like RM (or really TreeShare) was trying to use a relative file path rather than an absolute file path, even though RM7 doesn't support relative file paths.
It will be interesting to see how all this shakes out in RM8.