7 replies to this topic

#1 Johnj_au

Johnj_au

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 10:50 PM

I currently run the Mac version of RM under Catalina.

I'm planning to take my .rmgc database over to the Windows version of RM installed in a Windows (under Bootcamp) environment, where I plan to do some editing and changes.

Will there be any compatibility issues with bringing the .rmgc file edited under RM-Windows back to RM under Catalina?  Seems a silly question but I'm interested in whether anyone has seen differences between the two versions of RM.  What got me thinking is that the button shortcuts (Alt+E for the Edit button etc.) are different between the two versions.

TIA ... John.

#2 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 01:06 AM

I'm planning to take my .rmgc database over to the Windows version of RM installed in a Windows (under Bootcamp) environment, where I plan to do some editing and changes.

Will there be any compatibility issues with bringing the .rmgc file edited under RM-Windows back to RM under Catalina?  Seems a silly question but I'm interested in whether anyone has seen differences between the two versions of RM.  What got me thinking is that the button shortcuts (Alt+E for the Edit button etc.) are different between the two versions.

TIA ... John.

The RM program that works on the data is exactly the same Windows code, so there is no difference in the data interpretation, and so the data files - both data - rmgc - and backup - rmgb - files may be exchanged between a PC and a Mac. The limitations in function on the Mac are restrictions because the Windows simulation provided by the wrapper does not have all the capabilities of a Windows system. But most users on the Mac get by OK. Do be sure to use the same version of RM on both, though.

#3 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1581 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 07:13 AM

. Do be sure to use the same version of RM on both, though.

I think this is overcautious. I have RM6 and RM7 on my computers and have never seen a compatibility problem opening, editing, closing the same database between the different versions.

#4 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 07:42 AM

Simple answer - No. Longer answer; My experience in the past is that database errors accumulate and do not go away on the Mac version (probably due to having to force quit so much) and are blown away in the Windows version, so run all the database tools first, so those go bye-bye. Since the latest wrapper, I have not tried the full Windows version to see if that is still true or not. Anybody else?

#5 gerwally

gerwally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 01:15 PM

This is why we need the need RM8 sooner rather than later.  I wonder how many users of Roots Magic7 purchased RM8 after being told it would be released in 2019.  It is now May, 2019 and we still don't have a release date but they have everyone's money that was expecting RM8 to have been released by now.

I run RM7 under Parallels on a MAC in Windows 10.  I am on my second MAC and initially bought Parallels since they kept saying a MAC version of Roots Magic would be forthcoming.  I have to keep updating Parallels to download the new MAC operating systems.  RM7 is the only software I run under Parallels.  I do not plan to update to Catalina since it means purchasing an updated version of Parallels to use it.

Please! Please! Please! Release RM8 in 2020 or I am afraid you will lose many of your loyal customers.  That includes those of us who have prepurchased RM8.

#6 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 03:55 PM

This is why we need the need RM8 sooner rather than later.  I wonder how many users of Roots Magic7 purchased RM8 after being told it would be released in 2019.  It is now May, 2019 and we still don't have a release date but they have everyone's money that was expecting RM8 to have been released by now.

I run RM7 under Parallels on a MAC in Windows 10.  I am on my second MAC and initially bought Parallels since they kept saying a MAC version of Roots Magic would be forthcoming.  I have to keep updating Parallels to download the new MAC operating systems.  RM7 is the only software I run under Parallels.  I do not plan to update to Catalina since it means purchasing an updated version of Parallels to use it.

Please! Please! Please! Release RM8 in 2020 or I am afraid you will lose many of your loyal customers.  That includes those of us who have prepurchased RM8. 

Could you not run parallels version you own on catalina and not buy an upgrade? It is not 32 bit and should work, just not as well as the version tuned to catalina.

Most of we mac customers have gone elsewhere. Note the complete lack of activity on the mac forum. Dealing with a long delayed 64 bit crossover crutch and no sign of our purchased RM8 has just been too much. 

#7 keithcstone

keithcstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 11:17 AM

TIA ... John.

Same database, you'll just need to be sure to install the windows version of RM. I go back and forth because there's a couple features in TreeShare that still don't work with the new wrapper. The only difference between the Mac and Win version of RM is the Mac version is running under a wrapper that makes the RM code think it's running under Windows.

#8 strathglass

strathglass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 10:23 AM

Could you not run parallels version you own on catalina and not buy an upgrade? It is not 32 bit and should work, just not as well as the version tuned to catalina.

Correct: I upgraded to Catalina but did not upgrade Parallels (still at version 14.1.3): It works fine under Catalina, including to run RootsMagic 7!