Photo

How quickly does a replacement tree show up in Ancestry via Treeshare?

treeshare

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Tcluster

Tcluster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 09:52 AM

I disconnected RM Treeshare from Ancestry so that I could upload a new tree, which I did successfully, at least judging from what I saw on RM.  I know it takes a while to see the new tree in Ancestry, and probably even longer for all the hints to reappear when looking at DNA matches.  Does anyone have an idea as to how quickly this change occurs?

#2 gerwally

gerwally

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 10:00 AM

I put a new tree on Ancestry via treeshare last December and the hints are still not showing up on most of my tree even though I've been on Ancestry and logged in.  I have posted this issue on the RM board but never got a satisfactory answer as to why this was occurring.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 11:01 AM

The hints are generated on the Ancestry tree, so move around online to get them to start generating. Once they are it will take a few minutes before you see then as WebHints. You need to be logged in under Internet>TreeShare for Ancestry for them to load. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Tcluster

Tcluster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 02:19 PM

Thank you.  Actually at this point I'm just waiting for the new tree to appear.  After that, I figure it'll be a while for the various hints to appear in the DNA match function.

I would have thought the new tree would appear quickly.  Any insight into how long that typically takes, just to see the new tree?

#5 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 10:50 AM

Are you not seeing it on the Ancestry website? Hinting only happens on the online tree so move around in it. If hints don't show there then you might need to contact Ancestry support. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3927 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 12:57 PM

Hints can take a while, but when I use TreeShare to copy my RM database to a new tree in Ancestry, my experience and expectation is that the tree itself is there immediately after the TreeShare process completes. I'm puzzled that your experience is not the same.

Perhaps the TreeShare copy didn't complete successfully. Perhaps you have multiple userid's on ancestry (a very common occurrence), and perhaps you used TreeShare on RM with one ancestry userid and perhaps you are are looking for your new ancestry tree from your Web browser using a different ancestry userid?

Jerry

#7 Tcluster

Tcluster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 April 2020 - 05:44 PM

The new tree showed up today - Monday, April 27.  So it took five days, counting the weekend.  That's okay.  Thank you all for responding.

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 11:49 AM

Are you saying that after using TreeShare to upload the RM database to Ancestry that it took 5 days to show on their website?

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 Tcluster

Tcluster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 10:49 PM

Well, yes, but maybe not.  You see, I assumed there would be only one tree on Ancestry with the same name at any given time.  After all, the instructions say to "disconnect" the old tree so that RM Treeshare can upload a new one.  (I put "disconnect" in quotes because I forget the actual word in the command, but it was something like that.)  After I processed the "disconnect" command the upload worked just fine.  It took a while, but not that long, and it finished successfully.  After that I would look for a person in the tree that I knew was new, so if I didn't find that person, I knew I was looking at the old tree.

I now realize that there are two ways to go to the tree in Ancestry.  One is to click on the "Go to Tree" box in the upper right area, the other is to click on the "Trees" icon at the top of the screen.  I was using the "Go to Tree" box, which I now understand goes to whatever tree has been selected in the "Trees" icon at the top.  It's possible that the new tree was there all the time, and that I wasn't savvy enough to "flip" my selected tree to the new version in "Trees".  That's a good argument for putting a date in the tree name.

Now, all I have to do is remember this for the next time I load a new tree. 

Thanks for listening.

Tom

#10 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3927 posts

Posted 29 April 2020 - 05:39 AM

It's extremely likely the tree was there all the time. There is nothing in ancestry that would slow down the appearance of the tree. The thing that can take some time in ancestry is for ancestry's shaky leaves to appear so that you can see WebHints in RM. You can hurry the shaky leaf process along a bit by navigating around your ancestry tree while being logged onto to ancestry through a browser.

Jerry