11 replies to this topic

#1 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 02:17 PM

Not sure what a locked topic is but it clearly does prevent further comments.

Bruce has a new problem coming up for the long delayed RM8. Apple releases a new OS version every year in the fall. Developers always need to work with the August beta releases to tweak their software so it works. RM8 will have bugs from never being consumer tested AND have to cope with changes in a new OS.

MIcrosoft is on a 5 to 10 year cycle and may be going to smaller stealth automatic updates on terrible Tuesdays so this is less of an issue for windows users. Mac users can turn off automatic OS updates and wait out the initial bugs of a new version (I wait for the 3rd tweak in about month 3 or 4).

#2 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 02:21 PM

I'm happy to beta the RM8 for the Mac. I beta-tested RM7. I beta test OS X.  I lead on the bleeding edge and I use sharkskin gloves to keep from getting cut. B)

#3 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 02:24 PM

I'm happy to beta the RM8 for the Mac. I beta-tested RM7. I beta test OS X.  I lead on the bleeding edge and I use sharkskin gloves to keep from getting cut. B)

I salute your courage (if not your wisdom). Perhaps elphant hide gloves and chainmail would have helped more with Catalina.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8788 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 04:58 PM

Not really an issue. We won't be seeing the elimination of 32-bit programs in the next OS release. That's what really caused all the issues.  With RM7 Codeweavers will be watching if any wrapper changes need to be made. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3982 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 07:04 AM

Not being a Mac user, I'm certainly not up to speed on many Mac issues. But just out of curiosity I have long had a question about RM8 and Mac. I understand that Apple requires that it approve or certify or authorize any software that's going to run on a Mac. I may not have the correct verb for it, and I certainly may not be understanding the concept correctly. But will RM8 have to be blessed by Apple before it can be released for Mac? If so, is it a long and drawn out process, or is it something that is really simple to accomplish?

Jerry

#6 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 07:47 AM

Not being a Mac user, I'm certainly not up to speed on many Mac issues. But just out of curiosity I have long had a question about RM8 and Mac. I understand that Apple requires that it approve or certify or authorize any software that's going to run on a Mac. I may not have the correct verb for it, and I certainly may not be understanding the concept correctly. But will RM8 have to be blessed by Apple before it can be released for Mac? If so, is it a long and drawn out process, or is it something that is really simple to accomplish?

Jerry

Not a problem. Recognized developers sign up with Apple and no delays. Just another way Apple prevents shady operators from sneaking malware in. Crooks Inc and HackATack.com need not apply. Macs still remain malware free due to this and many hidden OS features that watch for known malware.

#7 Jim Byram

Jim Byram

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 08:08 AM

Jerry,

macOS is not a closed system. You can install apps that do not come from the App Store. I have a number of these installed including RootsMagic 7 for Mac.

There is a security prompt when you install such apps. There is also a setting to prevent any apps not from the App Store from being installed.

Whether a developer goes through the App Store has both advantages and disadvantages for the developer. The biggest disadvantage is that Apple takes a big cut of your revenue. The biggest advantage is exposure to all Mac users.

Jim

#8 keithcstone

keithcstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 06:10 AM

There are locked topics on top of nearly all the forums. All it means is there are certain topics the admins want everyone to see, and not necessarily comment on. 

I think the Mac forum is idle (mostly) due to there being little Mac specific comments that aren't redundant to others that are already answered. If you want to know about a version for Catalina, it's there and pinned, no need to comment on it unless you can't get it to install. If you want to know about Descendant reports, you go to the main discussion threads because there are few usage topics that are specific to Mac.

#9 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 09:21 AM

There are locked topics on top of nearly all the forums. All it means is there are certain topics the admins want everyone to see, and not necessarily comment on. 

I think the Mac forum is idle (mostly) due to there being little Mac specific comments that aren't redundant to others that are already answered. If you want to know about a version for Catalina, it's there and pinned, no need to comment on it unless you can't get it to install. If you want to know about Descendant reports, you go to the main discussion threads because there are few usage topics that are specific to Mac.

Mac forum is idle because we have all left absent a functional native mac RM8.

#10 ftipple

ftipple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 07:50 AM

I think Keith has probably hit the nail on the head - the purely Mac queries have mostly been answered here, and the others are generic RM queries with the answers to be found elsewhere on the forum

#11 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 11:41 AM

I think Keith has probably hit the nail on the head - the purely Mac queries have mostly been answered here, and the others are generic RM queries with the answers to be found elsewhere on the forum

Nope--we have nearly all left after waiting years for a promised native mac RM8. Some of us will give RM8 a try if it ever appears but many will not look back. Dealing with windows xp horrible fonts combined with crossover clumsyness has become intolerable. We are used to better.

#12 RobertL

RobertL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 02:44 PM

I agree with ftipple and Kevin.  I am a mac user waiting for the release of RM8.