12 replies to this topic

#1 strathglass

strathglass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 April 2020 - 04:24 PM

I would like to reorganize my multimedia files.

Currently in my multimedia folder I have four folders (docs/pics/headstones/media).

I want to reorganize by surname (or surname groups) (and do some renaming of files as well, in addition to restructuring the directories).

What is the easiest way to go about such a major reorganization?

Note that I can easily create a mapping listing old file name (with old path) and new file name (with new path)...ideally this can help drive the implementation of the changes.

I am open to using other tools (I took a quick look at SQL Lite Tools for Rootsmagic ... there may be something there [found this, still reading]).

Any tips appreciated.

#2 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 12 April 2020 - 05:49 PM

Choose a nested folder plan like Media -- Surname or Couples -- individual media items named in a useful manner.

Then move existing media in your original large "dumped in" folder to these subfolders. Rootsmagic has a fix media broken links tool and just needs to be pointed to the new folders after you move the old folder.

The advantage to this extra work is that you can easily see what media are missing, duplicated, etc for a couple which is impossible in one large folder of everything. Family tree maker makes this approach particularly hard but RM7 is much better at it.

You may also be able to categorize items in your media folder by type as an additional sorting tool (census; obit; etc).

#3 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3973 posts

Posted 12 April 2020 - 08:07 PM

Moving the files is fine because RM's Fix Broken Links tool should fix the links you are breaking after you get done moving the files around.

Renaming files is much harder. The best way is one file at a time and is slow and labor intensive process. If you rename the files from outside RM, you are making a very large mess to clean up. So rename the files one at a time from within RM. RM doesn't really support renaming files, so we fake it as follows.

RM does support changing from one file to another. If you follow this procedure, even if a file has been tagged in dozens of places throughout RM, the new file will be tagged on all those dozens of places. Therefore, we use RM's support for changing from one file to another. This procedure takes you into the Windows File Open dialog to choose the new file. While in the Windows File Open dialog, you can rename files. So rename the file from within Windows (still within RM) and choose the new name for the file as the new file. RM will then use the new file name while maintaining all media tags for the file.

Jerry

#4 strathglass

strathglass

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 April 2020 - 10:04 PM

Very helpful replies, thanks! I will give these approaches a try.

#5 JimDavis79

JimDavis79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 09:10 AM

Let me also point to a previous discussion of what folders to use:

I found the ideas in this discussion very useful in determining what folders I want to use.

Best regards, Jim

"When you shake my family tree, nuts fall out."

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6443 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 07:43 AM

There might be something in this procedure for you to consider: https://sqlitetoolsf...citation-media/

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 09:17 AM

This is a very timely topic for me. I have been working to accomplish the same thing. I developed a naming convention set, with the help of some posts in this forum, and started naming new media in accordance with it. However, I still have many old files that have not been converted yet. I basically use "Surname-Given Name-Title (such as CEN or GM)-Source (such as FS, ANC, Etc)". I then use the windows directory search tools to find a file as needed. I do not save my files in sub-directories.

I do have one question. Is it necessary, or advisable, to include the Ancestory media ID (if that was the source)? I've never found a practical use for that information in RM, and I don't think you can search for the ID in Ancestry??

Rick

RickL

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6443 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 10:19 AM

I included it in my procedure for renaming citation media from Ancestry for two three reasons:

1. Debugging
  2. Identifying subsequent duplicates via a match of the name of a new download to that substring of a renamed file.
  3. Assured uniqueness of filename (thanks for reminding me, zhangrau)

The most basic link to an Ancestry media item looks like this:

https://www.ancestry.ca/interactive/8946/ONMS935_93-0459 

Maybe there is a shorter more direct path but I haven't found it. The downloaded file is named by default:

ONMS935_93-0459.jpg 

So you can reconstruct part of the link to the file on the Ancestry server from the filename but we're missing the intermediate level "/8496/". I don't know where you'd get that from.

Edited by TomH, 15 April 2020 - 10:08 AM.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#9 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 12:46 PM

I included it in my procedure for renaming citation media from Ancestry for two reasons:

1. Debugging
  2. Identifying subsequent duplicates via a match of the name of a new download to that substring of a renamed file.

Maybe there is a shorter more direct path but I haven't found it. The downloaded file is named by default:

ONMS935_93-0459.jpg 

So you can reconstruct part of the link to the file on the Ancestry server from the filename but we're missing the intermediate level "/8496/". I don't know where you'd get that from.

Thanks Tom,

Actually Idon't think I care about the source ID, but I had been including it in my naming of the file in case there was a reason/need to get back to it. I never have.

Rick

RickL

#10 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1588 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 09:48 PM

I include the original filename from Ancestry, FamilySearch, and other sources at the END of my "standardized" filename. My thinking is that if that was a unique identifier on their server, then nothing I add to it will cause me to destroy that uniqueness.

I'm aware, unfortunately, that years ago I saved files with a simpler naming system (which discarded the "original" filename), and later discovered that my system was too simple. I ended up with some (no extensive research, yet, to figure out how many) files with identical names, but different content and in different subfolders. That's a fatal error when using RM's Fix Broken Links tool, since it has NO WAY of identifying which file goes to link A and which to link B.

I occasionally stumble across those too-simple-names as I continue researching, and I can resolve them one-by-one through RM. I know that I CANNOT resolve those issues by renaming files in WinExplorer - that'll just break links.

What's that old saying? "If I only knew then what I think I know now...."

#11 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1695 posts

Posted 15 April 2020 - 10:09 AM

I am in the original forum for this topic. And since that time frame,  I have always named a downloaded file by my 3 alpha surname code, year of, type, given,St.jpg   Nospaces or _ in the name.    Ancestry.com does not keep all files online forever, when their contract with a company is up and there is not much use of it. I am sure they probably will not renew it.   My 3 alpha surname code has worked very well except for when there are two surname codes that are identical then I use 4 alpha's for those surnames.  Usually type will give me a clue as to which website I got the information from. Like census records for me do come from ancestry.com and if the writing or digitized copy is not readable, I go to the wayback machine and look for the same page.  wayback machine is archvies.org.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#12 les.warden

les.warden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 01:18 PM

I am in the original forum for this topic. And since that time frame,  I have always named a downloaded file by my 3 alpha surname code, year of, type, given,St.jpg   Nospaces or _ in the name.    Ancestry.com does not keep all files online forever, when their contract with a company is up and there is not much use of it. I am sure they probably will not renew it.   My 3 alpha surname code has worked very well except for when there are two surname codes that are identical then I use 4 alpha's for those surnames.  Usually type will give me a clue as to which website I got the information from. Like census records for me do come from ancestry.com and if the writing or digitized copy is not readable, I go to the wayback machine and look for the same page.  wayback machine is archvies.org.

I took some of Jerry Bryan's advice and some of Nettie's advice (Thank you both!) since getting re-involved with RootsMagic (I use to use Family Origins). Their methodology has worked well for me. The biggest advantage for me is that I can look at a filename and see its relationship immediately. One difference I adopted is I always use four alphas for the name. Just for consistency. Here are some examples....

I can see from the first one [cem] Arbo1882KAlinnNancy.jpg that it is cemetery signage, name is Arbogast, year is 1882, is in Kansas, in Linn county, and pertains to Nancy.

Secondly, from [cen] Arbo1850ILMcLeanWilliamElizabeth.jpg, I can see it is an 1850 Illinois Census in McLean county for the family of William and Elizabeth Arbogast.

As I said, this has worked out well for me and hope this helps you in some way.

-les

https://www.screenca.../t/HNAVx2kCBcRd

#13 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 08 May 2020 - 03:34 PM

I included it in my procedure for renaming citation media from Ancestry for two three reasons:

1. Debugging
  3. Assured uniqueness of filename (thanks for reminding me, zhangrau)

ONMS935_93-0459.jpg 

Tom,

When I asked this question before, I thought I understood the answer, but apparently not. I've tried several times to access media on Ancestry by using the ANC.com media ID.  I've never been able to do it. Actually, I agree that the only apparent benefit of including the Ancestry media ID in my RM media file name is to help identify and correct duplications of files. For example, the same file may be attached to two or more persons in ANC, so if I download those people via Tree Share I'll end up with duplicate media in my media directory. I find this occasionally during my research. Since I can usually get back to the ANC media file by viewing the person's profile in my Ancestry tree, I'm just wondering, am I thinking about this correctly? 

Rick

RickL