7 replies to this topic

#1 Tcluster

Tcluster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 11:43 AM

Is there a way to select people in "old" generations and turn off their living flag, even though they have no dates?  I've read some of the strategies that make decisions based on dates, but the problem is there may be someone who was recently born, in a "current" generation, who has no dates, and someone who is eight generations back with no dates, and I've not found a way to distinguish between them in terms of setting the living flag.

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8638 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 04:10 PM

You could use Tools>Set Living
Highlight an ancestor that is deceased
Click on Mark Group and select "Ancestors of highlighted person"

After that you would need to make a group of everyone Living and review them on an individual bases. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6415 posts

Posted 07 April 2020 - 04:16 AM

Living Flag Set Globally #living #update #recursive
Posted on 2015-01-25 by Tom Holden
https://sqlitetoolsf...g-set-globally/

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Tcluster

Tcluster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 09 April 2020 - 10:11 PM

Hello Renee,

Thank you.  I have a question.  How do I make a report of everyone whose living flag is set to "YES".  When I try to make a List, and I choose "Fact List", I don't see a way to specify a particular setting of the living flag.  There is a fact type of "LIVING", but that's different.

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3823 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 07:59 AM

The living flag is not a fact. However, you can search for it by searching for Living Flag. Naturally enough, the only things you search for are Living Flag > is True or Living Flag > is False.

That leaves you with the question of how to make a report of everybody whose living flag is True or everybody whose living flag is False. There really isn't such a report, per se, but you can sort of make such a report in several ways.

• Make a group of everyone whose living flag is True and place that group in the left sidebar. The left sidebar is is your "report". You can scroll up and down it to show living people in the main view such as Pedigree View or Family View..
  • Make a group of everyone whose living flag is True. Go into People View and filter by your group. People View is your "report". You may want to play around which which data elements you wish to make into columns in People View.
  • Make a group of everyone whose living flag is True. Make a Custom report that selects the data elements you wish to see as columns, and filter the report by your group. In the case of Custom reports, you don't actually have to make the group if you don't wish to do so. Instead, you can filter on the Living directly in the dialog for Custom reports. Whether it is easier to do the filtering by first making a group or easier to do the filtering in the Custom report dialog is a matter of personal preference.
  • Make a group of everyone whose living flag is True. Run am Individual Summary report and filter the report by your group. In the case of Individual Summary reports, you don't actually have to make the group if you don't wish to do so. Instead, you can filter on the Living directly in the dialog for Individual Summary reports. Whether it is easier to do the filtering by first making a group or easier to do the filtering in the Individual Summary report dialog is a matter of personal preference.

When you are searching for Living Flag or making a group for Living Flag, you could add additional criteria if it made sense to do so. For example, you could search for Living Flag > is True AND Sex > is Male or you could search for Living Flag is True AND Any fact > Place > Contains New York. The possibilities are limited primarily by your imagination.

Jerry

#6 Tcluster

Tcluster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 02:30 PM

Thank you Jerry.  I appreciate your reply, but I'm still having a basic problem.  I understand that the Living Flag isn't a Fact.  But I still don't understand how I search for "Living Flag > True."  Also, why do you use the "greater than" (>) sign?  I'm sure it's because I'm not aware of a particular option in Roots Magic.  If you could tell me exactly how I get to the function which supports this inquiry, I would be most grateful. 

Tom

#7 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 02:54 PM

Edit-Quick Groups-Manage Groups-New-Mark Group-Select People by Data Fields-Select Field(living Flag)-Is True-and- Any Fact-Date-Is Before-1900

This gives you a group of people marked as living who have a fact before 1900. This makes them probably more than 120 years old and most likely dead.

#8 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6415 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 02:57 PM

Also, why do you use the "greater than" (>) sign? 

It's a convention oft-used to separate steps in a procedure. In RootsMagic, the phrase "is greater than" rather than the ">" symbol is used in the People Search and Group Marking criteria.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.