Photo

QN - will RM8 on Mac fix the ugly fonts?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pbooth99

pbooth99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 12:28 PM

I love having RM7 working on Catalina - but there are some hiccups and wrinkles that annoy me.

I have a few 4K monitors and a late 2015 27" 5K iMac retina, whicg has a beautiful crisp display,

but the fonts in RootsMagic 7 (Mac) look clunky.

See https://i.imgur.com/pCQOoBw.jpg for an example and compare teh crispness with the web browser and terminal windows in the same image.

I appreciate that running a Windows app on Wine/Crossover) on OSX comes with compromises.

Will the RootsMagic 8 (Mac) fix this and look like "real Mac app?"

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3982 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 02:45 PM

Will the RootsMagic 8 (Mac) fix this and look like "real Mac app?"

That's an interesting question. I'm a Windows user, and I wonder if RM8 on Windows will look and feel like a "real Windows app".

I'm feeling very positive in general about what RM8 looks like in the demos we have seen so far. The user interface appears to have been significantly flattened with less clicking and less modal windows. The clunky RM7 type ahead feature to search lists appears to have been replaced with filtering. I'm pretty sure I'm going to like RM8.

But it doesn't look much like a Windows app so far. Believe it or not, conventional Windows menu trees and right clicks and so forth are very comforting to a long time Windows user who likes the Windows interface. So we shall see. :)

Jerry

#3 les.warden

les.warden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 04:20 PM

I sure hope so. Reading and filling in some of the text for citations and such, makes my 65yo eyes strain.  B)

#4 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 04:34 PM

Go to Tools > Program Options > Display to change fonts  options in RM7.

#5 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 04:36 PM

But yes, RM7 text is pixilated. Mac Users expect better.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8788 posts

Posted 06 April 2020 - 03:56 PM

It is important that you select a Windows font (not an Apple font) because you are using a Windows program in the Mac environment. The Apple fonts are going to be listed at the top, but all of the compatible TT or MS fonts are going to be farther down in the list. Arial, MS Shell Dlg, or News Times Roman at 14 point seem to work the best. You can also try these fonts in bold. To change the font go to Tools>Program Options display.

Renee
RootsMagic