• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gallde

gallde

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 08:25 AM

It would be wonderful to have a context-menu item allowing one to right-click a name and choose "Relationship to Root (person)". In a tree with thousands of people, I sometimes lose track of the relationship to the person I'm researching, so this would really help.

Also, the Relationship Calculator itself ought to have a button to instantly insert the Root person in the blank field.

These should be easy to implement!

#2 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 09:08 AM

Doesn't this already exist? Look down in the lower left-hand corner of the screen for relationships either to Root or to whomever you've set. The facility would be strengthened if it showed relationships by marriage as well.

The dialogue to set relationships is found on the tools menu.

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 05:23 PM

Using Tools>Set Relationship will make the relationship to blood relatives always visible in the lower left corner. If you want to do relationship calculating then use Tools>Relationship calculator. I know the RootsMagician didn't want to fill up the right click menu so he has limited what is added there. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 les.warden

les.warden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 06:08 PM

Thanks Renee!! I didn't realize the Set Relationship was there and had never set it before. Always glad to be shown a new nugget! Thanks again!  :D

PS: Anxiously and patiently awaiting RM8, (as if you need additional reminders  :rolleyes: )  :D

#5 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3505 posts

Posted 04 April 2020 - 06:50 AM

It would be wonderful to have a context-menu item allowing one to right-click a name and choose "Relationship to Root (person)".

One of Rootsmagics main competitors does this on the fly without and user interaction beyond obviously setting the Root Person..

In addition it has a very handy partial name and date filter and I believe RM8 will have something improved in this area. Also note the time stamp on the 'Updated' field and whilst these are all 00:00 since this was a RM import and have not been edited since this would also be a useful addition to RM.

I know Rootsmagic are well aware of competitor strengths and offerings so we must wait and hope for RM8.

data-view-fh.png

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do - demand better

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: relationship, context