• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sosterhaus

sosterhaus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 10:03 AM

Migrated several years ago from Family Tree Maker to Roots Magic 7 (just updated to run on Catalina - looks good so far).  Much of my research was done on Ancestry in FTM and haven't done a lot in past few years. Now while preparing for RM8 for Mac noticed that the sources and citations seem to be connected to Ancestry and as am not a paid subscriber now cannot connect to the source and citation.  For many, do have an image in Media Gallery but not the summary page et al.  Plan to use Family Search going forward and now have confusion  Do I need to go through the matching of items between RM and Family Search and then migrate over the sources from FS (i.e. census's) and delete the Ancestry references?  Cannot figure out other options and probably have over a thousand citations.  Any thoughts would be most helpful.  Thanks.

"Anything Worth doing Well is worth doing badly at First"

#2 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 11:38 AM

If you are LDS, there are at least 5 "partners" in FamilySearch. ancestry.com is one of them. Tithes pay for the annual subscription. If you are not LDS, then you can go to a Family History Center to access the same sources for free - when those locations are open after the Virus stuff is over. Right now they are closed for the duration. 

https://www.familysearch.org/campaign/partneraccess/ 

My suggestion would be to migrate the references in RM to FamilySearch and NOT delete the ancestery.com references! That would include the pics, etc. FamilySearch is backed up professionally, so any local items that otherwise would get lost or poofed would stay there for posterity. My RM database has been rebuilt 3 times, so moving items to FamilySearch reduces the genealogical history stress quite a bit.  FamilySearch just keeps getting better with time and I spend much of my time there. My RM database acts as a catalyst for me to do "fine carpentry" in FamilySearch. I tend to use those partner links in Search Helps frequently. 

Think of RM as being yeast in the dough as it helps the FamilySearch loaf to rise. 

Looks like you have some quality keystroke time and with us mostly being sequestered, this looks like an opportune time to add those citations. As far as I know there is no "one button fix" like RM has for merging. It would be fun to have a "master dump" from RM to FS, though, wouldn't it?

Currently I have around 275K of changes FS has for me to update for my RM database - one keystroke at a time.

#3 sosterhaus

sosterhaus

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 March 2020 - 12:55 PM

Thanks for the comments- very helpful. No, I am not LDS. 

Have used FS a fair amount but (unfortunately as I am discovering) the auto link feature between FTM and Ancestry was too easy and now left with a number of issues to clean up.  Ancestry seems to source other trees in their universe as well that may or may not be supported without digging through each one and verifying. Not something I plan to do. Those I may delete if I have other supporting sources.  

Will be an opportunity to clean up the sources/citations that seem to increase without sufficient detail. Just as you say one keystroke at a time.  Hard part will be determining logical process to follow and making sure each source/citation is properly attached to correct facts.  Being retired, have time to work on this, especially now with self quarantine- we returned a week ago from a significantly shortened trip to Italy. So far, so good. 

You suggested migrating my RM Ancestry references to FS - not totally sure why as most of their cites point to FS or other public  available info in FS. Thanks again

"Anything Worth doing Well is worth doing badly at First"

#4 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1697 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 09:06 AM

FYI:  I made a decision years ago when I was first on ancestry.com to copy and download to my PC any item I found in ancestry.com.  Never had a tree on ancestry.com because of my not agreeing with their rules.  But  am very glad I did the downloads and the citations which I redid to fit EE 's way. 19 years ago.  So when a free time comes up from ancestry.com I would suggest going back and looking for item you downloaded.  Ancestry.com has also been changing what they can show for records.  They pay the company/courthouse etc to have the records on ancestry.com. My guess if the item is not used much they take it off. 

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0