2 replies to this topic

#1 russhart

russhart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:35 PM

I have recently come across an issue after I had reviewed my Place List and making a large number of changes or corrections within RootsMagic. When I then ran TreeShare, none of these changes were picked up.

If I make a correction to a Place in Ancestry this is correctly picked up by TreeShare.

Within TreeShare, if I edit a person in RootsMagic and change a Place, this also is then immediately picked up by TreeShare (highlighted in red).

Is this an error in the design of TreeShare? If so how can I fix this problem?

Would a disconnect from Ancestry help or a reset?

Russell

(In lockdown in New Zealand)

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3930 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:36 PM

I believe this is a "broken as designed" feature in RM.

When TreeShare was first released, this would have worked correctly. However, you probably would not have been pleased with the results because bulk changes you could make in RM's Place List could result in a huge number of changes for individuals and facts in your database. You would have had to approve each Place List change manually for each fact in RM, which could take forever.

Users complained and the logic in RM was changed so that such bulk changes in Place List were not noted as changes by TreeShare. The proper fix probably would have been some sort of bulk approval for such Place List changes, but that didn't happen.

You could disconnect RM from Ancestry and load to a new Ancestry tree. The new Ancestry tree will include all your Place List changes. But there is no way to reflect the Place List changes to your existing Ancestry tree.

Jerry

#3 russhart

russhart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 March 2020 - 12:35 AM

Thanks Jerry, fully understand.

Unfortunately Ancestry lacks a lot of simple tools which are available In RM (eg. changing surnames from caps to non-caps), so that is why I leave most of my bulk changes to RM and had hoped to transfer those to Ancestry via TreeShare.

I may have to think about disconnecting and starting a new database in Ancestry, Not 100% sure what may or may not be transferred correctly.

Russell