Photo

RootsMagic 7 Now Available for macOS 10.15 (Catalina)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8653 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 05:42 PM

The updated RootsMagic 7 wrapper for MacOS Catalina has arrived. The same wrapper can be used with previous MacOS versions.  The directions are here - https://support.root...-Catalina-Users

The blog announcement is here - http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=3366

Renee
RootsMagic

#2 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 07:07 PM

And it does seem to work better than before!

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8653 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 07:39 AM

In testing we found it fixed a couple of known issues in the earlier wrapper for those not on Catalina. 

Since, I know you're going to ask I am trying to recall them. I know if fixed an issue for some where it would not recognize their printer. The other was a problem with black images in reports. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 ftipple

ftipple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 08:49 AM

Just uninstalled RM7, upgraded macOS and reinstalled RM7 on my MaBook, and so far so good.

The only initial problem was that I had to install something wine-gecko-ish before I could open my Place List, but I was prompted by the program to do this, and Place List opened immediately once that had been done.

Another thing perhaps worth mentioning is that I have always followed the complete uninstall instructions to the letter up to now, but this time I used a utility called App Cleaner (it's free by the way), which effectively completed Steps 2-7 of the Uninstall instructions for me - much quicker. 

I'm going to play around with it for the next while and if everything continues well, I'll then go on to update my iMac.

#5 ftipple

ftipple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 10:30 AM

The CHM Reader I was using is 32-bit - can't readily find a free replacement in the App Store.

But I rarely used it anyway, so I might just not bother 

#6 Jim Byram

Jim Byram

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 10:43 AM

The CHM Reader I was using is 32-bit - can't readily find a free replacement in the App Store.

I have a clean Catalina installation and have no third-party CHM reader installed. Help has worked with both test versions and the release Catalina version.

Edited by Jim Byram, 17 March 2020 - 10:51 AM.

#7 ftipple

ftipple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 05:22 PM

"Clean Catalina installation and no third-party CHM reader": Sorry, I don't quite follow you.

Could you be a bit more specific?

Thanks

#8 Jim Byram

Jim Byram

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 05:37 PM

For me, using the Catalina RootsMagic release installer, RootsMagic help works. I don't need a CHM reader to use RootsMagic help.

Have you tested RootsMagic help? Why do you need a 64-bit CHM reader?

#9 ftipple

ftipple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 04:17 AM

Thanks Jim - I just checked and it's working.  

When I started using RM the Help file was one of the things that didn't work on a Mac - you had to download the files and use a CHM reader to view. Obviously things changed somewhere along the line, and I missed it.

In the meantime, I've found a new, free CHM reader in the App Store, so I'm doubly covered!

Thanks again.

#10 ftipple

ftipple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 10:32 AM

I've noticed one slightly irritating thing with the new wrapper - at least, I assume that's what it is.

I usually work from the Family page, and I now find that when I'm adding sources the screen image leaps around a bit. It's hard to describe in writing, but it's a bit irritating. 

Has anyone else found this?

I'm thinking of doing an unitsall / reinstall, though I'd rather not have to.

Any suggestions?

#11 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 06:18 PM

Just uninstalled RM7, upgraded macOS and reinstalled RM7 on my MaBook, and so far so good.

The only initial problem was that I had to install something wine-gecko-ish before I could open my Place List, but I was prompted by the program to do this, and Place List opened immediately once that had been done.

Another thing perhaps worth mentioning is that I have always followed the complete uninstall instructions to the letter up to now, but this time I used a utility called App Cleaner (it's free by the way), which effectively completed Steps 2-7 of the Uninstall instructions for me - much quicker. 

I'm going to play around with it for the next while and if everything continues well, I'll then go on to update my iMac.

Ftipple;

Appcleaner from freesoft is an excellent tool. Be sure and check any items not pre-checked and note identifying names for further cleanup. Then use findanyfile or easyfind to search for items with that term to find more leftover bits. Just be careful to not toss any license keys or system components by mistake.

#12 Johnj_au

Johnj_au

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 April 2020 - 08:58 PM

Just installed Catalina.  I then uninstalled and reinstalled RM7 on my MaBook, and everything works sort-of.

Firstly Help now works - that's a real plus.

However RM can get excruciatingly slow (takes 60-90 seconds to respond), particularly with the person update screen where I do most of my work.  And the frequency of abnormal exits (something about code access violation) has increased.  I've tried changing the fonts as I vaguely remember this may speed things up a bit.

Any suggestions ?

TIA ... John.

#13 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8653 posts

Posted 13 April 2020 - 01:40 PM

First thing I would check is Adding An Exception To the Mac Firewall

1. Open your System Preferences on your dock.

2. Click the Security or Security & Privacy icon.

3. Select the Firewall tab.

4. Click on the gold lock icon in the lower left side of the preference pane, then enter your administrator password that you set up for the Mac computer.

5. If the firewall is turned off please turn it on. We recommend that you leave the firewall on at all times. Then click on the Firewall Options button

6. Click the Add Application (+) button.

7. This will open up a screen allowing you to look for RootsMagic. Go to your Applications folder. Look for RootsMagic. When you see RootsMagic double click on it. This will add it to the firewall exceptions list for you.

8. Click Add.

9. Click OK.

Renee
RootsMagic