6 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 10:30 AM

This question goes a bit beyond my expertise.... would appreciate any hints as to how to save the index and table of contents links from an RM7 Publisher book to a PDF file when saving the book? 

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#2 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 07:41 AM

With some additional research, I have found a method that works using the "PDF  embedded index". It's not as robust as the links in "Publisher" but it does work. I would appreciate any other hints for solving this. My goal is to be able to publish a book, save it to a PDF, and then send it to family members. Having a functional indexing process to help them jump from say the table of contents to the correct place in the file saves lots of reader's time. Some of the books can be quite long, 100 pages plus.

Thanks again

Rick

RickL

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6417 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 09:33 AM

Report index hyperlinks and ToC links are preserved when Publisher saves to PDF as are endnote links. Am I misunderstanding the problem?

Edited by TomH, 16 March 2020 - 09:36 AM.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 03:16 PM

Report index hyperlinks and ToC links are preserved when Publisher saves to PDF as are endnote links. Am I misunderstanding the problem?

Tom,

I am probably the one misunderstanding. I had saved several Publisher books to PDF, and then found that I could not use the links, or that they were not working. However, when I re-saved the books to PDF, the links began to work. I not sure what was wrong, but it does seem to be working now. For example,  if I open a book PDF, and click on a table of contents item, the PDF viewer now goes to that item in the book.

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#5 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 12:34 PM

Tom,

I eventually got back around to looking into this issue and I discovered what caused it. Apparently, during a recent Windows update, they changed my default reader from Adobe to Edge. As soon as I switched back to the Adobe reader, the problem went away. The links created in RM Publisher work fine in my PDF files now.

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6417 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 01:32 PM

Is it that the Edge reader does not recognise the links or that the links are not generated unless the Adobe Reader is the default?

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#7 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 04:21 PM

Is it that the Edge reader does not recognise the links or that the links are not generated unless the Adobe Reader is the default?

Not sure, but I suspect that Edge is not compatible with RM Publisher as far as links go. I am running an older version of Adobe Pro that let's you update embedded indexes. Once I did that then the links worked ok. However, once I made Adobe reader my default again new PDF's created by Publisher worked just fine. 

Rick

RickL