Photo

Why does FS think there is new information?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GlenB

GlenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 01:56 PM

I left the Family Search Central panel open for a while and it went and collected the list of my people who are linked to Family Search and for whom it thinks there is new information. Then I go look at that list to see what info I want to update / correct.

But here's the thing. MANY of those people in the list have nothing new about them, nothing at all. A simple example had a person with only a name, gender, birth date and parents. In the screen where my person's info and the FamilySearch person's info are compared, everything is green meaning (as far as I know) that the information is identical. Maybe it's the sources that are new? Nope, the tab at the top says Sources(0) so there are no Sources in FS that could have changed.

It's not just one person. Happens to me A LOT. and that wastes a lot of time Why does this happen?

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8588 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 05:10 PM

This happen when changes are made in the background by FamilySearch that are not seen on the person's record itself. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 GlenB

GlenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 05:34 PM

But so many people? I have only processed about 100 people on the list so far, but only 5-10 of them had ANYTHING new.

Can you explain the algorithm that RM uses to decide if a person has new information or not?

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8588 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 05:37 PM

It's simply what FamilySearch gives as the change date. If its later than the last time you viewed them in FamilySearch Person Tools in RM they will appear on the What's New list. FamilySearch has been working on their site. They had this notice last Friday...

"Some features on FamilySearch may be unavailable as we make improvements to the site starting Friday, March 13th at 6:00 pm (UTC-06:00) and lasting about 60 hours. We apologize for the inconvenience."

These types of changes can affect the people connect to collections they are working on.

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 GlenB

GlenB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 02:44 PM

Thanks, I think I get it. Nasty of them to create so much work for us!

If I understand, you are comparing PersonTable.EditDate with LinkTable.extDate. What's the LinkTable.Modified flag for? And EditDate must be when I edited the record, not a date where I merely looked at in the FS Central comparison.

I have just over 16500 records in LinkTable and they ALL have the extDate = 0.0. Only 1100 of those have Modified = 0.

And I have about 17800 records in PersonTable and the EditDates are all > 0.0. Meaning in part that all but about 1300 of my people are matched up.

So theoretically, every single person who is linked to a FSFT ID should be in the list to be checked in Family Search Central. But I just processed a few hundred more yesterday and they are no longer in the list. Is that what the Modified does? The ones still to be checked are those with Modified = 1 which is about 14400 records?

And if I reset the count through the GUI does that make all the Modified = 0? At least until such time as I give Central the opportunity to go scanning and comparing the date fields.

I ask because I don't really want to go messing with the tables unless I know what I'm doing <grin> and at the moment I appear to have a TON of work to do!

#6 jagwinn

jagwinn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 31 March 2020 - 03:13 PM

I found that if the wife has new information, that the spouse/husband is marked new also. Same with children/parent, etc..