9 replies to this topic

#1 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 01:53 PM

What would be the downside to running RM7 (RM8 soon, I hope) in a Windows virtual machine running under Linux? Would there be any reason to prefer Windows 10 to, say, Windows 7?

#2 keithcstone

keithcstone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 04:40 PM

You'd want Windows 10 because Windows 7 is no longer supported. RM would necessarily be obligated to fix a problem on an unsupported OS (or least no one would expect them to be). You'd lose a bit of speed but that wouldn't be a huge issue. I do some of my RM work in a Fusion VM running under Mac OS. It used to be all of it since I was migrating from MyHeritage and their app didn't work on Mac OS for about 3 years and I needed to use both.

#3 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 04:59 PM

Thanks, Keith. I'm having my semi-annual "abandon Microsoft" fit, and am thinking of limiting my Windows use to RM7 in a VM running under Linux. The project is probably an uneconomical use of time and effort, as I do have everything running very smoothly under Win10 Pro. If I go ahead I'll keep your advice in mind. Thanks again.

#4 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 05:23 PM

Thanks, Keith. I'm having my semi-annual "abandon Microsoft" fit, and am thinking of limiting my Windows use to RM7 in a VM running under Linux. The project is probably an uneconomical use of time and effort, as I do have everything running very smoothly under Win10 Pro. If I go ahead I'll keep your advice in mind. Thanks again.

Abandon Microsoft is not a fit but a moment of clarity! If RM7 ever works on Catalina or RM8 native appears from the mist of vaporware just jump ship.

#5 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 13 March 2020 - 09:32 AM

@robertjacobs0

Not sure what 'flavour' of Linux you are considering using but, before going the route of virtualisation & Windows Licences, I would suggest you first try installing WINE in Linux which is much more straightforward (and far quicker) than installing and setting up a Virtual Machine.  Then it's a a straightforward process, these days, to install RootsMagic 7, as well as most Windows software that doesn't need the .NET Framework or have complex software dependencies.  After installing WINE from your Linux Distro's Software Repository and downloading a copy of the RootsMagic software, just double-click on the RootsMagic installer file exactly as you would in Windows and in 2/3minutes you should have a working setup. In my experience, most installation problems with WINE apps on Linux arise where there are program dependencies that the Windows installer itself doesn't automatically deal with, but most of these can be resolved with a a bit of 'detective' work.  Some widows software is of course incompatible with WINE, but again that's often down to the software developer having implemented some form of licensing/runtime 'protection' that prevents the software from running and/or makes 'strange' use of the Windows Registry. 

I've tested the RootMagic installation process experimentally in Linux Mint, Manjaro Linux and OpenSUSE (Virtual Machines on a MacBook Pro)) and didn't experience any problems.  However,, using a Virtual Machine approach you will need to set up shared folders, copy and paste etc.; and also get network shares working fully, between the Host Linux system and the Windows Virtual Machine, which itself will look for you to set aside around 40Gb of Hard Disk space if you choose to install Windows 10. And, of course, you will still need to deal with both Windows Updates and updates of the Virtualisation Software.

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows & Linux Tendencies"

Windows Genealogy Software: Family Historian 6, Ancestral Sources, RootsMagic 7, Behold, Charting Companion

#6 bscott26

bscott26

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 12:43 AM

Fully agree with mjashby.

I am using Fedora as my daily driver and RootsMagic runs perfectly under Wine integrating seamlessly with the Linux desktop.

#7 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 08:23 AM

Thanks, mjashby & bscott26. I'm in the throes of moving to a new house and can't undertake the project for another month or so, but will try RM7 under WINE as soon as I get the chance. I notice that neither of you mention Ubuntu. When I do undertake the conversion is there a distribution which you think preferable?

Thanks again.

Robert

#8 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 19 March 2020 - 09:06 AM

Robert,

Linux Mint is derived (forked) from Ubuntu (which in turn was a fork of Debian) and primarily uses the Ubuntu repositories for software downloads and updates, so you should experience no particular problems.

My (current) preference(s) are Manjaro Linux (forked from Arch Linux), or OpenSuse, but its difficult to explain why, other than I seem to understand their Command Line structures better, e..g. Never got my head around 'apt-get' in Debian and its derivatives and always seem to forget the precise usage.

Mervyn

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows & Linux Tendencies"

Windows Genealogy Software: Family Historian 6, Ancestral Sources, RootsMagic 7, Behold, Charting Companion

#9 bscott26

bscott26

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 01:16 AM

For Wine, I am using Crossover Linux and these are the requirements:-

CrossOver Linux System Requirements

• x86 compatible PC system
  • 500 MB of free disk space and space for installed applications
  • Officially supported on the current release of:
    • Ubuntu
    • Mint
    • Fedora
    • Debian
    • Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL)

Note: We test the latest distributions at the release of new CrossOver versions.
Newer versions of distributions released after the most recent CrossOver version are not guaranteed to work.

CrossOver is likely to work on any distribution of Linux that meets the following requirements. However, we do not promise to offer full support for unlisted distributions.

• Python 2.7 or Python >= 3.5
  • Gtk >= 3.18
  • PyGObject >= 3.20
  • X.org with XRender and GLX support

#10 uberdorf

uberdorf

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 12:35 PM

I got started with Ubuntu, it is a decent distribution to get started on.  I have different versions on each of my computers for the kids to use, and distro-hop too much.  What distribution I would recommend depends partly on some questions.

1. Do you want high stability or newest software?  (The newest packages are sometimes a little buggy, Ubuntu is kind of a compromise between stability and newer software.)

2. Do you play many games that are high on resources?  (Steam was designed with Ubuntu in mind so games can be easier to get working on Ubuntu without so much troubleshooting.)

3. What is the cpu speed, RAM, and graphics card of your computer?  (that affects the desktop environment to recommend.)

4. Do you mind learning a new desktop environment like Gnome, or would you prefer a Start button.

I personally use Wine with RM7 and it works fine in Debian and Kubuntu (a copy-paste problem I ran into on Fedora was actually due to a bug in that version of Gnome which is hopefully fixed by now).  I recommend installing microsoft fonts through winetricks if you don't like the look of how Wine renders some fonts in Windows apps (almost like dot matrix but not that bad).  However, there is a big downside to using Wine, and that is that Windows malware can try to install themselves on your Wine prefix.  If successful, it might read your documents or be a nuisance, but it shouldn't affect the core system. 

I have used a virtual machine with Windows 10 and Rootsmagic 7 in the past, but it is more resource intensive since you have to run two operating systems at once.