#1 baluo

baluo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 March 2020 - 11:52 PM

Hi,

I have tried to work a bit more systematic with place names -- only to run into a number of problems:

-- I don't seem to be able to assign geocodes to a place name:  adding them manually (eg 8°14'32.8"E) leaves the fields red, and once I click ok the codes are reset to 0000 and are deleted when reopening the dialogue (in most cases)

-- maps for places geocoded automatically lead to my standard location map -- irrespective for which continent

-- automatic geocoding seems to work, but apparently not for non-Anglo countries.

-- For curiosity reasons, I clicked the "GeoCode" button to the left of the Lat/long fields with data automatically entered (but red).  This seems to delete the preset code  (e.g. for Allegheny (historical), Allegheny, Pennsylvania, United States) and I can not recall it again:  The "GeoCode" button initiates the geocodes to be re-entered, but when I click ok, they are being deleted,

Did I miss a program setting?  I use the most up-to-date RM7 version.  Many thanks for your advice.  G

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 08:09 AM

On the Edit Place screen I usually enter the current name so it will GeoCode and enter that name in the Standardized place name field. Then I go back to the Place field and add the historical place name. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 09:20 AM

Entering coordinates in decimal format may be more reliable. What is your locale setting in Windows? That may have an effect.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3505 posts

Posted 07 March 2020 - 01:21 PM

-- I don't seem to be able to assign geocodes to a place name:  adding them manually (eg 8°14'32.8"E) leaves the fields red, and once I click ok the codes are reset to 0000 and are deleted when reopening the dialogue (in most cases)

Sadly there is no easy way to say this but Rootsmagic is woefully bad at handling anything in respect of mapping or geocoding, despite plentiful help and enhancement ideas from numerous users over the past 10 years things have not improved.

Renee Zamora suggests entering the modern Place Name in the Place field and the Historical Place Name in the Standardized Place Name field which is a good suggestion, EXCEPT regardless of whether the place is geocoded manually or recognized by RM for Auto Geocoding the Standardized Place Name and Abbreviated Place Name are LOST on Gedcom transfer without warning so the same should be true of Drag and Drop.

Rootsmagic have been aware of this serious data loss issue for quite some time now where users could potentially lose a lot of carefully formatted and researched data entry and, to date, have done NOTHING.

One of the problems you highlight is simple to understand at a glance and whilst it’s not your fault you are wrong to assume any modicum of programmed intelligence behind the scenes with regards to mapping. Firstly Rootsmagic should have the programmed ability to accept and parse 99% of pasted coordinates in a single action, despite 10 years of asking, IT DOES NOT. Rootsmagic should have the programmed ability to accept your example paste and convert it to its required format, IT DOES NOT. Rootsmagic should have the programmed ability to accept pasted geocode formats from international users where the comma is used as a delimiter instead of a period, IT DOES NOT. Rootsmagic should have the ability to allow users to lift geocoding from the embedded map, IT DOES NOT.

I can see at a glance that you simply need to add a space to your example to make it understandable to Rootsmagic so change 8°14'32.8"E to 8°14'32.8" E. That should have long since been programmed by Rootsmagic development and would have saved you and others a lot of wasted time and confusion.

I can only apologise on behalf of Rootsmagic development that you need to format and massage your data into a format the program understands. That lack of simple programming behind the scenes despite being highlighted repeatedly over 10 or more years is unforgivable and leaves Rootsmagic V7 Mapping firmly in the 20th century with all other programs outperforming it in this regard.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do - demand better

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#5 ftipple

ftipple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 08 March 2020 - 11:49 AM

I have no problem adding Geocodes, whether manually or by copying and pasting from an external source, but I always have the space that Vyger mentions

I have noticed, though, that if I enter the code in decimal format RM changes it to degrees, minute and seconds

#6 baluo

baluo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 01:16 AM

Many thanks for your replies, and it does not sound too good ...

@Rene

I have followed your advice, but the problem does not seem to be the correct naming of the place rather than RM's handling of geo-codes: A cross check with Google maps shows me that the GeoCode Button triggers the right codes, and in the format including spaces, but the lat/long fields remain _red_. and once I close and re-open the place edit dialogue, these manual code entries have been deleted. 

In fact, at all those place records I have checked and that do hold geo codes, the two fields are marked red.

Once I activate the GeoCode button, it replaces the codes correctly, but with the effect described above -- I'll lose them once I close the dialogue.

Also, irrespectively of the the code details, the "Online map" button opens to the same regional map (here Adelaide, South Australia).

> decimal format

I have tried that, it will immediately be changed into the "other" format, with spaces.  But after closing the dialogue, they are lost again.

> local setting

German for use in Australia and a US / international key board (as a German, I currently live in AU)

> Loss of data in gedcom transfer

This, however, would be a major issue --- I am not nearly that far yet, but it would frustrate me indeed without end.

So, as it sound -- this leaves me without being able to use the place edit function.

P.S.

I have just for the first time discovered Tools > Mapping.  Here, interestingly, the map shows the correct place, but no other functions (e.g. selecting a geo-code and copying it into the place names dialogue.  Why there are two separate dialogues is beyond my perception.  Would that not better be one unit of functions? 

And, by the way, in both cases a Bing map is being opened -- either in my browser (does only show Adelaide) or within RM.

Edited by baluo, 11 March 2020 - 02:30 AM.

#7 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3505 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 04:24 AM

Many thanks for your replies, and it does not sound too good ...

Sadly all things Mapping orientated have suffered badly by lack of development over the years to the point I now use other Genealogy software but still have high hopes for RM8.

Whilst I cannot understand RMs refusal to accept properly formatted latitude and longitude entries I can tell you that in Mapping where geocoding is missing RM will send off your Text notation to Bing for search reasons so works slightly differently.

Since you have only discovered the Mapping UI you might find my short analytical video below useful to some of your workflow. I can inform you Rootsmagic are very well aware of all these issues and deficiencies as I have personally highlighted them to development over many years. If the required enhancements to Mapping do not appear in Rootsmagic 8 then the only conclusion is that development do not see value or care for those who want to map their research.

https://youtu.be/qsgG8ch4BHU

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Root

#8 baluo

baluo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 06:13 AM

Thanks, Vyger, for your hints and consolations :-)

I have watched most of your videos now, and many thanks for your efforts to explain issues and workarounds ...  I do really hope that RM8 solves some of these many issues that you and others have listed ...

> Bing

I just gave it a try with another family database, but have the same general program related issues (i.e. the place names dialogue does not hold the geocodes, and the fields are marked red). 

Also I have now noted that Bing is quite "generous" with locating places via RM7, at least for Germany:  Try Dahme (Mark), Brandenburg, Germany (or, standardized, without the "(Mark)").  While the online Bing Maps finds the place correctly, via RM it is located deep in Saxony.   Darwin, for that matter, is located somewhere off the coast in the Timor Sea. 

@Renee:

Would you or your colleagues have any idea why the place names dialogue in my RM7 version does not hold the geocodes, and how to change it?  Thanks.

#9 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3505 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 09:40 AM

Thanks, Vyger, for your hints and consolations :-)

I have watched most of your videos now, and many thanks for your efforts to explain issues and workarounds ...  I do really hope that RM8 solves some of these many issues that you and others have listed ...

@Renee:

Would you or your colleagues have any idea why the place names dialogue in my RM7 version does not hold the geocodes, and how to change it?  Thanks.

Thank you, in the past I have tried to help Rootsmagic development, I am development driven and no cheerleader for Rootsmagic, so I would like to believe better for development than those who are. I am primariy using another program which has long since overcome these mapping deficiencies present in Rootsmagic and is also much better at mining data in my large database, the only downside is I can't add enhanced imformation to Place Details which I used extensively.

Both RM and the other program are due upgrades this year, I am in no rush for either but intent on making a single platform choice for my future research after that. I don't see any real point in further RM specific videos at present apart from maybe using RM as a base for some general research pointers. Any future videos will likely compare packages as it's a minefield for new users and the restricted evaluation versions don't give a true perspective as regards what is and is not possible, if you are subscribed to my channel you should receive notifications.

Rootsmagic should be opening up around now and maybe Renee with her global support knowledge can shine some more light on the specific problem you are encountering.

FYI, Rootsmagic version 8 will be using OpenStreetMaps for their mapping UI, the other software I am preferring uses that provider and I sincerely hope Rootsmagic development embrace the full possibilities for geocoding and mapping rather that some half hearted attempt, over my many years with Rootsmagic I have often heard "that's something we can return to in the future", the days of believing that are long gone. So I would forget Bing if you are intending to upgrade and concentrate there for your searches, I plugged in your example and the image below shows the typical detail returned.

openstreetmap.PNG

Root

#10 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1582 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 01:37 PM

I'm a long-time RM user (back to FO days). I currently do NOTHING with geocoding and mapping, although I'd be totally thrilled if RM8 shows dramatic improvements here.

Why don't I use geocoding? Because I am quite displeased with the "place name standards" in RM's County Check, in Ancestry, and in FamilySearch. I do NOT use Place Details, and I insist on keeping my Place List clear (as I've mentioned in other posts) by including descriptors such as Parish, Township, County, etc. I also include regional designations for some countries, and continents for everywhere except North America. Yes, my Place Names are often 6-8 levels deep (blowing away the 3-4 levels used in the "standards").

RM, currently, can't seem to make heads-or-tails out of my Place List. Ergo, no geocoding.

#11 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3505 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 02:46 PM

This is largely a repeat of many previous discussions for the benefit of anyone new to mapping. Whilst geocoding (the pin in the map) is the only precise notation of a site it is not yet adopted by many users or research providers. Outside of geocoding the various styles, preferences, “County” or no “County”, “USA” or “United Stes of America” use Place Details or concatenate them with the Place is really a moot debate. Rootsmagic users appear to circle a deficient ‘standard’ mainly due to the difficulties of manual geocoding within the program.

Regardless of all the styles, concatenation or reporting preferences, if your pin in the map is very close to mine in the same time frame then we should maybe look for a connection.

From a research perspective the benefits of robust geographic recording varies from Country to Country, the availability of information to hand and to some extent the reliability of land divisions over time. The user and researcher must also gain some benefit from investing this additional work apart from simply visualising little dots on a map and that may not be realistic for a lot of users. The repeating discussions regarding what is the correct way are pointless as the co-ordinates of the Fort, Castle, Farm, Hospital or Cemetery are the same regardless of how researcher a, b or c name that site/location and geocoding also transcends language variances.

My research in Ireland benefits greatly from geographic analysis and this is supported by a land division system which has remained largely unchanged for many hundreds of years, however I am fully aware from limited USA research that is not the case in that territory. However from the USA records I have examined I can say they do compare favourably to UK & Ireland records in terms of detail to help prove family links and that adds further weight to geographic importance this side of the Atlantic.

Where a person came from in Ireland is historically noted at the Townland and there are ~65 thousand Townlands in Ireland contained within Parishes and therefore the names frequently repeated. That neatly leads me to The Standard the majority of RM users tend to dislike, I believe that standard is of Family Search origin, I find it very USA centric, inaccurate and sporadic in other countries and woefully bad in Ireland. So I was faced with a choice between skewing and misrepresenting my locations to fit a very poor RM standard simply to achieve Auto Geocoding or to create my own Ireland Standard which aligns with Ireland Place descriptions and manually geocode those locations myself, I chose the latter and I remain very happy with how it has helped progress my research.

Typically an Irish Place will be noted as a Townland name leaving the challenge to find which Parish it belongs to and the geographic location. More official records like land registry and census returns will note Townland, Parish, Barony, County like the Family Census return below;

proximity-census.png

The actual Parish of Ballyculter only cover an area 8.6 square miles in total or 5,471.2 acres and still contains 18 Townlands. Parishes often contain few Towns or major settlements and therefore would never be recognized by Rootsmagic Gazetteer and it’s a tall ask to ever expect such accuracy. Therefore I decided on the reliable land definition of the Civil Parish as my Place and the Townlands within as Place Details resulting in a Place print like below.

proximity-report.png

You can see that Patrick and Sarah both have events only a few years apart in both Strangford and Ferryquarter. If I prefixed the Place with the Place Detail that would create two distinct Place entries which, outside of geocoding, would have no direct association, these two Townlands are only 500m apart so certainly deserve to be associated within my database. Listing these visually would require Rootsmagic to provide an on screen hierarchical Place View which it does not. I can also see within the Parish a burial of Arthur De Grâce and with this name originating from French Huguenot a geographic family link still to be discovered.

You will see on the map below that the Townlands of Strangford and Ferryquarter are essentially the same geographic location, the difference between one location and the other could be as simply as a different building on the family farm, the Place print above associates these family events to my benefit.

proximity-townland.png

Whilst this Place related discussion has gone on endlessly without any real consensus Places and time frames are one of the more important research indicators and each user must adopt a system which primarily works best for them in their Country of research. Whilst the system I have adopted is not understood at all by Rootsmagic and the Family Search standard it is internationally understood in the genealogy community. Whilst the Irish Parish is internationally understood I believe prepending the Place Detail with Townland, Cemetery etc. would only serve to lessen the likelihood of online text Place matching.

The final graphic below is the Parish of Ballyculter in its entirety and for reference purposes only, as I previously stated is only covers 8.5 square miles in total area. Interestingly Rootsmagic version 8 appears to be adopting OpenStreetMap which is the source of these map copies, on the example above the dotted lines and ancient Townland boundaries. The other software I am currently preferring also uses OpenStreetMap, will usually resolve a Townland search, as it does not depend on a fixed Place reference such as Gazetteer, facilitates Drag2Map geocoding and provides a time slicer so mapping events can be visualized over time.

I do hope taking time to document an approach which has worked well for my research in Ireland may help other researchers reconcile their own Country peculiarities and decide on a system which works well for them in the future.

proximity-parish.png

Root

#12 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 06:33 PM

Even the 1940 US Census for rural areas in Ross County, Ohio, does not have easily identifiable locations.  There were no street numbers then, just Rural Routes without box numbers.  On the other hand, Columbus, Ohio, has street numbers and street names that can be located on DeLorme computer maps [wish they had not dropped the product], Bing, or Google..  However, the Interstate highway system in central Columbus has wiped out some of the old streets.

On the 1940 census, it is not obvious what route the census taker made for his/her rounds.  I know a handful of houses where families lived, but that does not help for the residents in between.

#13 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3505 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 06:21 PM

I confused that no one from Rootsmagic appears to have responded to baluo regarding the particular difficulties reported, maybe they have behind the scenes?

I have seen many of these geocoding difficulties reported by international users throughout the years which would make someone like baluo a perfect candicate for beta testing RM8 mapping.

Root

#14 baluo

baluo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 04:49 AM

Hy Vyger and all,

many greetings from South Australia, now almost in lock down as well (borders internally and externally are closed, and so Cafés, restaurants and all social gathering places ...)

Which basically is the reason why I did not follow up on my initial requests, and I did not want to bother Renee and her colleagues to much, but I am disappointed, indeed.

I wish you all the best for the coming weeks, and please stay happy and healthy.  And many thanks for accepting me into your community and for you various assistance!  G

#15 ricko2001

ricko2001

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 August 2020 - 03:08 PM

I'd like to add my hint for entering lat and lon into RM place details.

My main use case is to copy the coordinates from FamilySearch  https://www.familyse...esearch/places/

They are presented as a pair of decimal numbers.  e.g.  49.9434, 9.6266

My procedure is to select and copy to the clipboard both the coordinate numbers from the source location (web page) 

and then in FS

1- paste into the Latitude field.

2- hit backspace enough time to remove the second number and the comma after the first

3- paste into the Longitude field

4- ctrl-right arrow, hit backspace enough time to remove the first number

(I generally use crtl-arrow and other shortcuts to optimize)

I certainly agree with previous posts about how awkwardly RM handles spatial coordinates.