Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 05:01 PM

Quick question.....

I am trying to produce a chart in RM7 that would include the following:

1) Starting ancestors (say grandfather and grandmother)

2) Include only one of their children, their spouse, and children (other siblings to be on different charts)

I am creating a Publisher chapter for each of the children of the grandparents, and I want a chart to show the relationship from the grandchildren, back through the parents, back to the grandparents, without listing the person's other siblings.and their children.

I have tried to use the Relationship Chart for this purpose and include it in a Publisher Book (chapter) for one of the siblings, but the settings do not handle the grandchildren. I would have to create a separate chart for each grandchild going up to the grandparents. I have been unable to find a report type that would do this.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#2 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 05:06 PM

Sorry, meant to say "Relationship chart for one branch of family line"

RickL

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 05:46 PM

I don't have a solution. If RM supported a group filter on a descendants chart, that would come close. You could export such a group to an empty database to generate it but then you can't integrate it in RM Publisher. You'd have to insert it in Word.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3930 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 06:42 AM

I don't have a solution. If RM supported a group filter on a descendants chart, that would come close. You could export such a group to an empty database to generate it but then you can't integrate it in RM Publisher. You'd have to insert it in Word.

Expanding on Tom's suggestion. Suppose you made a copy of your database, where the copy would be deleted after the reporting is done. Then in the copy of your database, make the group as Tom suggests and drag and drop the group into an empty database then back into the copy of the database. You would have duplicate copies of many of your people and you would have to be very careful which of duplicate people you would report on. But getting both the original people and the copies into the same database would allow you to integrate all your reporting with Publisher. This sounds like a convoluted mess and it actually is a convoluted mess. But it's the only way I can think of to do the project with Publisher.

Jerry

#5 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 09:15 AM

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I'll give them a try, but I'm very "gun shy" when it comes to "convoluted messes" and RM7. (been there done that). My goal was to insert a chart in my Publisher book chapter that shows both the parents of my principle chapter subject, and also shows the children of the subject. I have come up with an acceptable solution, but it adds extra pages to the chapter. I start with a Relationship chart, limited to the principle subject and his/her parents. I then add a descendent Box Chart, starting with the principle subject, his/her spouse, and going down 2 or 3 generations.  This method works, but it is not as clean as I would like.

Thanks again,

Rick

RickL

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: relationship chart