12 replies to this topic

#1 pstaveley

pstaveley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 07:17 AM

When I am using RM7 offline (i.e. without an Internet connection) every so often it displays a message saying that it cannot access the Internet. I have to close it before I can continue. Is there any way I can disable that message?

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 09:27 AM

Before you go offline you need to turn off WebHints and sign out of Ancestry so its not trying to auto-login. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 pstaveley

pstaveley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 03:39 PM

I tried turning off webhints but the message kept appearing. Can I sign out of Ancestry whilst offline? If not then that means that it is impossible to remove the warning until I am able to go back online.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 08:55 AM

No, Ancestry needs to be logged out before you go offline. Make sure to not check the option for automatic login. Then you won't need to take any extra steps when you happen to be offline. It's that setting that's causing the issue. It's ok to have it remember the username and password. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 pstaveley

pstaveley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 02:58 PM

So that means I have to log off every time I use RM7 just for the very few occasions when I happen not to have a wifi signal and wish to use RM7. Alternatively I have to put up with the annoying warning which, then, cannot be turned off and the warning sign can only be removed by tabbing round the controls because there is no key shortcut to dismiss it (in fact there is no dismiss button at all, other than the small X). I do not think any of those are suitable. Could you please add logging off of Ancestry while offline as a improvement suggestion. Thanks.

#6 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1582 posts

Posted 24 February 2020 - 04:24 PM

This type of issue can be handled much more gracefully by RM. For example, here's a security request menu from Norton. I believe similar menus are available in Dropbox and OneDrive when pausing syncing service.

Norton-security-request-menu.png

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 07:51 AM

I've tried to explain this several times now. If you DO NOT setup TreeShare with Ancestry to automatically login it will not try to do so when you are offline. Simply don't check that box. Logout if you have the setting right now. When you login don't check that box. It's fine to have it remember the username and password because that won't cause an automatic login. When you want to use TreeShare you simply open it up and login with the remembered password. If you're offline it won't do that for you. This is something as a user you need to do because of the setting you decided to check. RM does not have automatic login as a default setting, it has to be selected. If you happened to be logged in and the wifi goes down then just close RM and reopen, without automatic login you will be fine. 

WebHints just disable them. Go to Tools>File Options>Webhints and uncheck the box. If you forget when you're offline then just go there and turn them off. 

Confirming it is on the enhancement request to log RM out when no wifi access. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 pstaveley

pstaveley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 01:46 PM

As I have also tried to explain several times now, that is not possible. In fact my account is setup so that it is not automatically logged in. What I think is happening is that I log into treeshare then forget to log out and it so happens that a couple of times there has been no internet connection meaning that when I attempt to use RM, whilst knowing that there is no internet signal it was to try to log back in or I have resumed the computer from hibernation and there is no connection to the internet in that location.

So could you confirm that what you meant to say above is "When you have finished treeshare remember to log out of that in case there is no internet connection when you next use RM". Could you please confirm that was the statement you meant to say? This should be correct because you imply that I was correct in that I cannot log out of Ancestry when there is no internet connection. [By the way the statement about wifi access is also misleading because having wifi access does not mean there is always access to the internet because it could just be a connection to a router.]

Thank you for confirming that it is on the enhancement request.

#9 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 01:56 PM

The statement "When you have finished treeshare remember to log out of that in case there is no internet connection when you next use RM" would only apply to someone that wants to continue to use automatic login as a setting. When the option isn't checked then all you do is close RM and reopen it again if internet access is lost during the session. 

If you have automatic login checked then the only way to get out of it is to log out when you have internet access and don't login again. That is why I mentioned to not have that option checked so it doesn't cause an issue when your offline. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#10 pstaveley

pstaveley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 02:37 PM

But I have not ticked the automatic login box.

OK, could I please check whether the box for automatic login is ticked or not. So could you please take me through the process to check that the box is unticked?

#11 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8699 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 01:30 PM

You can only see the automatic login option is when you actually set it up. A way to know if it has been checked is to open RM and with only the Ancestry WebHints enabled, if they appear then you were automatically logged into TreeShare because that setting was selected. 

Another way to tell is to click on the TreeShare icon and it will bypass the login screen. Of course you have to be on the internet to test either of these. 

The only place to see that option is to logout of TreeShare first. Then click on the Sign-in button. Under the Username and Password are two options "Remember my username and password" and "Automatically log in (bypass this screen)". The last box for automatic login is the one you don't want to check. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#12 pstaveley

pstaveley

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 05:07 PM

Thanks. I previously did the last option (i.e. log out) and it definitely is not ticked.

I suspect that RM does not like it when Windows 10 is put into hibernation after having done a TreeShare and just remembered that it was logged in.

#13 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3929 posts

Posted 26 February 2020 - 05:27 PM

I suspect that RM does not like it when Windows 10 is put into hibernation after having done a TreeShare and just remembered that it was logged in.

I have a number of problems with Windows 10 hibernation and I do everything I can to avoid it happening. I certainly wouldn't deliberately put or allow Windows 10 into hibernation with RM running. When my computer is at home, it's always awake. When I take it out somewhere (as to the library), I do a shutdown at home and a full reboot wherever I am using the computer outside the home. Then before going home, I do a shutdown wherever I am and a full reboot after I get back home.

Jerry