#1 Dick-TMG

Dick-TMG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 01:36 PM

I am using PH 3.

In a story I have used the insert picture function to good use without a problem. Now I have an issue that I cannot seem to figure out.

I have created an image of a small pedigree chart and saved it as a JPG, PNG and TIFF files. The images all import/insert correctly into Word 2010. They all open correctly in Photoshop.

When I insert into a story in PH3 I get strange results.

The image is of a very poor quality both in the composer and if I try printing the story out. I have tried both PNG and JPG. If I publish the story the resulting file also has the low quality picture in it.

Also when I get the picture inserted, even at the low image quality, when I page down in the story the image seems to scroll in the image box at the same time that the text is scrolling.

The only workable solution that I have arrived at is to insert the poor quality picture and replace the picture once I get the story into Word.

What am I doing wrong here?

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8588 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 03:16 PM

I have never seen this behavior before. I'm not sure how the image is inside of a box with a scroll on it. You can open a support ticket with a backup of the database for us to check this. 

https://support.root...us/requests/new

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 06:35 AM

Perhaps completely unrelated, but here's my experience creating Publisher Scrapbooks.

Image size (that is large image sizes) becomes an issue once there are lots of images in a Scrapbook. I haven't carefully tried to delineate how many images is too many, but I'd estimate around a hundred.

What happens is that in a full Scrapbook (surely over 150 images, set up as 1 image per page), a small number of images result in blank pages when the Scrapbook is saved to PDF. Is the problem in RM's Publisher printing process, or in Adobe's PDF rendering process?

I don't know. The "blank" image pages are always large images (over 5000x3500, and especially as large as 7000x5000).

My workaround?

While collecting images, I now open every image in Photoshop 6 (an older version, but it works in Win10). I do such cleanup tasks as rotating the image to true horizontal, then cropping off the extra margin material that almost all downloaded images have, and adjusting gamma & contrast to improve the image's appearance and legibility. Then I resize the image to a max width of 3500 or height of 5000 pixels. I actually resize to several common widths (1200, 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000, or 3500) depending on the source & content.

I can now produce Scrapbook PDFs with several hundred images, and they all render and print correctly.

#4 Dick-TMG

Dick-TMG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 07:17 AM

zhangrau,

I have a single image 1170 X 488 @ 96 dpi. I created a new PH3 project with a single story. About a page and a half of text and the image.

The scrolling issue is not repeatable but the image quality is still there. The image is corrupted in the visual display in PH3 and when I output it to an rtf file. I have not tried other forms of output to see if that fixes it since I will need to end up in word anyway.

I have followed Renee's advice and sent this new test PH3 file and image to support to see if it works the same for them and what I need to do to get around the issue. I am currently planning to tolerate the image quality and then once I have outputted to word replace the poor images then. At least I have a workaround for now.

I am using Photoshop 5 (cs 5). I stopped upgrading as my need was reduced and they went to the subscription model which made it too expensive for my reduced needs.

#5 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1554 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 11:51 AM

zhangrau,

I am using Photoshop 5 (cs 5). I stopped upgrading as my need was reduced and they went to the subscription model which made it too expensive for my reduced needs.

That's why I still use my old version of Photoshop 6 (c 2000). I had access to CS4 until I retired in 2012. PS6 does everything I need for my genealogy projects.

I dont use Personal Historian, so I have no additional thoughts on your image issues.