10 replies to this topic

#1 teach3r

teach3r

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 03:12 AM

Good morning everyone,

I have recently found a new branch of my tree though MyHeritage DNA.  Rather than adding this to my main tree / database straightaway I have created a new database with just those people I have recently discovered so that I can work through collecting facts and proving relationships.  I have been able to drag and drop from the new database to the main database when I have collected enough proof and the records come across as expected.  My issue is that I would then like to update a person in the new database so that when I make an update this is reflected in the details that I dragged and dropped (i.e. I thought that the structure of the databases would be relational being able to share the same record across databases).

For example, Nic P is a new person I have just found and has been added to my new database.  I can drag Nic P to my main tree where he is given an index number.  If I update the details of Nic P in my new database as I have confirmed his data of birth; how can I get these details to also update in the main tree / database for the same Nic P without having to enter the details there as well?

Thank you for any help that can be given.

Regards,

Nic

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8541 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 08:26 AM

You will need to update each database because they have no connection back to each other. You could use File>Compare Files, however it does not support family facts and relationships. 

What's New in RootsMagic 7  
00:29:05 – Compare Files

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 cj1260

cj1260

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 08:27 AM

To the best of my knowledge, there is no way to link databases in RM. Each database is handled as a single entity.

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3686 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 08:29 AM

Doing what you want can be done without having to do duplicate data entry in both databases, but the process is so manual that I'm not sure it really saves much time as compared to doing the duplicate data entry.

• Update Nic P in your new database as you described.
  • Drag and drop Nic P from your new data base to your old database, even though Nic P is already in your old database with the old data. At this point, Nic P will be in your old database twice.
  • Tools>Merge>Manual merge. Select the two instances of Nic P as the people to merge. However, the  new version of Nic P will NOT replace the old version of Nic P. Rather, both the old and new data will still be there. So after the merge process, you will have to clean up the duplicate data. Or during the merge process, you can delete some of the old data from the old version of Nic P before completing the merge. Sources may not merge very well and may require some cleanup.

You will probably receive some suggestions about using one or more of the automatic merge options offered by RM rather than using the manual merge. But the automatic merges also don't just replace the old Nic P with the new Nic P and they also require manual cleanup after the merge.

There are RM users who swear by the automatic merges, but I think they usually create more problems than they solve. I can't tell from this distance whether they would meet your needs or not. But if you want to try the automatic merges (or the manual merges), make a copy of your databases to play with and do some playing there to see how the merges all really work. To me, the main missing piece of the "merge puzzle" is that there really isn't a "replace the old person with the new person" option as a part of merging. And even then, I'm not sure the sources would merge correctly.

Jerry

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6296 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:02 AM

It would have possibly made things easier for you to have not created a new database but to have created a group of those of interest and adding newly discovered to it and removing from it those that are no longer of special interest. The group can be used to filter and declutter views and reports while continuing to work within your full set of resourcrs, places, fact types,...

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 teach3r

teach3r

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 01:07 AM

Thank you Renee, CJ, Jerry and Tom for taking the time to reply and for confirming that the databases are separate entities.  I will have a "play" with your suggestions.  Thanks again.

#7 teach3r

teach3r

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 01:25 AM

Update:  I have gone with TomH's suggestion of using groups.  Although I have been using RM for years I have never used groups .... but now I will! 

#8 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8541 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 08:26 AM

Here's a video that demonstrates how groups work. 

Using Named Groups in RootsMagic

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=i35hJfrx7Ts

Renee
RootsMagic

#9 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3686 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 11:02 AM

I'm always torn in answering a question as whether it's best to answer it directly and in the context it is asked, or whether it might be perhaps better to redirect the question in a different direction. I usually try to do the former and that's the approach I took with this question. But as Tom indicated, most experienced RM users recommend rather strongly against having multiple RM databases, especially if the multiple databases need syncing of some sort with each other. So I'm glad you have chosen to take more of a single database approach.

Nevertheless, I frequently wish that RM and other genealogy software made it easier to split and merge databases or easier for multiple researchers to work on different portions of the same database or for multiple databases to be synced together. These needful things are not all exactly the same thing, but they seem very much closely related to me. And in fairness, they are a very  difficult challenge to accomplish, both technically and sociologically - like how do you get different researchers  to agree on various standard ways to enter data and evidence, etc.

Jerry

#10 KFN

KFN

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 215 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 11:47 AM

Jerry,

In my opinion, syncing two or more database bases is difficult to impossible when the various databases do not have regular keys that can match record instances or that don’t have a very sound data standard for AI programs to make good judgements. 

Personally I am not an advocate of split databases.  The reasons given most often for multiple databases with shared data are: 1) security or family linkage of data for reporting, 2) database speed, 3) verified vs unverified entries, 4) multiple researchers.

All of these listed issues can be solved without splitting the database if the software is designed correctly or if presented on the correct platform.  Software design can solve #1-3 and #4 should be handled using a single database on a data sharing platform such as the internet website/cloud application or a checkout/checkin system of a single database.

As far as standard creation in genealogy as a whole and for shared data research in particular is very lacking.  For people who do share and where multiple researcher are involved standards should be developed before  work begins, this is how we do it in medical and library research projects in the business world!

#11 teach3r

teach3r

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 03:35 AM

Thank you Renee, Jerry and KFN for taking the time to offer further advice and explanations - your wise words are very much appreciated.