• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Pulsk1

Pulsk1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 11:03 AM

I would assume they would go to the media file I selected in Program Options.  Instead I just found a huge file of them in a RM file name.  Why do they go there instead of where I chose for them to go?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6296 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 05:48 AM

Both FTM and RootsMagic use a subfolder of the database's folder with the same name as the database to store images downloaded vis their respective interfaces to the same Ancestry API. I think there is good reason to do so for tracking down issues that might arise in that process. That does not prevent you from copying or moving a file to another folder and updating the link. What I'm unsure of is, if an image that has been relocated is downloaded again for some reason, does it duplicate the name of the original? If so, can that cause an issue?

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Pulsk1

Pulsk1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 11:42 AM

TomH, my program media file is now littered with media from that file.  There is media in there from the RM and my requested file.  It would be a nightmare to straighten it out.  Did I miss a message explaining the media from Ancestry ect would not go to my requested file? 

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6296 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 12:19 PM

There is nothing in the RootsMagic Help system about media downloaded from Ancestry via TreeShare (and by extension downloaded Ancestry WebHints which use the TreeShare connection). There is a paragraph in the Magic Guide "Using TreeShare with Ancestry"; section C, para 1.

1. Where is the media from Ancestry stored on my computer? 

The media is stored in a folder in the same place and with the same name as the database you downloaded.  If the new database was put into C:\Users\[name]\RootsMagic\ and was named My_Family_Tree.rmgc your media will be placed into C:\Users\[name]\RootsMagic\ within a folder called 
My_Family_Tree_media. To see the directory or path to your file, look at the top of your RootsMagic Window. That is where the media folder will be.

The Folders setting only tells RM where to look initially for something by default but is overridden by other program features and user action.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.