• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 emkaysmith

emkaysmith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 04:24 PM

I spend a lot of time on the Descendants View, working my way down through a number of generations of the descendants of a particular ancestor whom I'm researching. You can sort children under their parents by birth date, which is both obvious and logical. But when an individual has two or more spouses, there doesn't appear to be any way to sort them by marriage date. Or am I completely overlooking something?

If I have a guy with three wives, and each of them has several indented generations of descendants, it's easy for the first-listed spouse -- who might actually be the third spouse, but who happened to be entered into the database first -- to slide up out of sight. And then it's easy to get confused when I look at the later generations and see younger offspring apparently being born ahead of later offspring.

Either spouses ought to be resorted automatically when a marriage date is entered, or there ought to be an option for forcing a sort, as there is with children.

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1581 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 05:44 PM

Sorting spouses is just like sorting children.

I do this in Famiy View, but it also works in Descendants View.

Select the individual with multiples spouses.

Look at the top-left corner, just below the menu. You'll see something like

Spouses: 3 \/

Select that down arrow, then select the Rearrange Spouses link.

From there, I think you'll be all set....

#3 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 684 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 07:53 PM

Warning:  When you look at the census records and you have a second or third wife, there is no census clue that the current wife is the mother of specific children.

If you know marriage and death dates of prior spouses, you can usually make a determination.

#4 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1581 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 08:03 PM

Warning:  When you look at the census records and you have a second or third wife, there is no census clue that the current wife is the mother of specific children.

If you know marriage and death dates of prior spouses, you can usually make a determination.

Absolutely !!!

#5 emkaysmith

emkaysmith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 04:38 AM

Ha! Thanks very much, zhangrau. I obviously missed seeing that tucked up there in the corner. This, and sorting the kids, was one of those things TMG just did automatically, so I never had to think about it.

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3905 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 07:07 AM

There is also a menu option, viz. Edit>Rearrange>Spouses. Sometimes menu options are easier to find than iconic type options, even if the iconic options are hiding in place sight.

Jerry