7 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 04:42 PM

I'm stuck on an RM7  procedural matter .... could use some help ...

When publishing a family history, I have added several chapters to my report that are different scrapbooks for different persons in my tree. (Example - father, mother, son, daughter). 

Publisher adds these scrapbooks to the index with the generic name "scrapbook". I have not found how to edit the index with the name of the scrapbooks for the person it covers. To make the index more meaningful to the reader, I would like to edit the index to list who the scrapbook is for (example "Scrapbook - John Doe").

Can you do this, and if so how?

Any hints would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 05:09 PM

1 - I'm pretty sure that you want to change the titles in the Table of Contents, because the scrapbooks are not listed in the Index.

2 - Open your Publisher book.

3 - The left pane will show a list of your chapters.

4 - Select & highlight one of your scrapbook chapters.

5 - Look above the right pane, to the row of buttons.

6 - Select the [Rename] button, make your edit, click on the [OK] button.

7 - Your revised title will show in the left pane, and will print at the top of each applicable page.

8 - Don't forget to save the changes when you exit the Publisher.

#3 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 05:27 PM

Got it - Yes, I meant TOC. Actually I found the rename tool just a few minutes after I posted.  Thanks for the tips.

Rick

1 - I'm pretty sure that you want to change the titles in the Table of Contents, because the scrapbooks are not listed in the Index.

7 - Your revised title will show in the left pane, and will print at the top of each applicable page.

RickL

#4 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 09:00 PM

zhangrau,

Just curious - is it possible to publish a book, and then add it as a "chapter" to another master book? I'm looking into creating a book for the head of each family within a given family line. Example, the master book would be for the paternal head of a family line, and the chapters would be for each of his direct decendents who are heads of families, for a given number of generatios. This could then be saved to a PDF for distribution to others in my family. The content of the master book would include details for each decendent head's famiies. The alternative would be to create separate books for each head of family and then combine them into a PDF.

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3978 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 11:21 PM

If I understand your question correctly, then it would work fine. Suppose John Doe and his wife had four kids, and the kids had gazillions of descendants. Chapter 1 would be a descendant narrative report for John Doe, his spouse, and kids for one generation. Chapter 2 would be a descendant narrative report for child 1 and his or her spouse for a large number generations. Chapter 3 would be a descendant narrative report for child 2 and his or her spouse for a large number of generations. Etc. for each additional child.

This is a very attractive approach and I have considered it seriously but never done it so far. I just make a book with one huge chapter instead for John Doe and all his descendants. The reason is that Publisher produces endnotes for each chapter rather than consolidating the endnotes at the end of the Master Book as a whole. This means that endnotes that occur in multiple chapters are repeated multiple times, greatly increasing my printing costs. The indexes are consolidated at the end of the whole Master Book because Microsoft Word does that for you.

If you are truly making PDF files to distribute electronically, the printing cost issue would vanish. So the only remaining issue would be the stylistic one of whether you want chapter by chapter endnotes or end of Master Book endnotes. You can have the former, but not the latter. As a PDF, you might even prefer the former.

Jerry

#6 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1591 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 08:28 AM

zhangrau,

Just curious - is it possible to publish a book, and then add it as a "chapter" to another master book? I'm looking into creating a book for the head of each family within a given family line. Example, the master book would be for the paternal head of a family line, and the chapters would be for each of his direct decendents who are heads of families, for a given number of generatios. This could then be saved to a PDF for distribution to others in my family. The content of the master book would include details for each decendent head's famiies. The alternative would be to create separate books for each head of family and then combine them into a PDF.

Thanks

Rick

Rick,

I've made lots of Publisher books, and one of the aspects I like best is that, once a Publisher book has been defined by selecting chapters & setting fonts & indices, it becomes a trivial matter to issue updates and revisions. This is because Publisher saves the outline, not all of the details. To issue a revision, simply re-Publish. On my larger books (typically 700-900 pages), this takes 5 minutes or less.

One feature I've wished for is to be able to create & save a Publisher template with my preferred basic chapter list (Cover, Title Page, Copyright, TOC, Preface, Notes, Pedigree, Narrative, Acknowledgements, etc. along with a few blank pages and all of my preferred Font, Layout, Endnote, Bibliography, and Index settings. But I can't do that. Each new book is a new project from scratch, so the first chunk of time is a simple repetition of itierative tasks. Boring....

You seem to allude to another feature I'd like to see: concatenation.

Assume that I have previously created separate Publisher books for cousin A and cousin B. Can I easily create a book for their common ancestor C? Nope. Gotta start all over from a blank book. There is no provision for concatenating two or more Publisher books into a new, larger Publisher book.

I imagine concatenation as a variation on RM's drag-n-drop. Open two Publisher books side-by-side, and drag chapters from one book to the other. That would be SWEET !!!

#7 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 08:51 AM

Thanks guys,

You've given me some good food for thought. Every since I started using RM my focus has been on research, not so much on publishing. Recently I've been thinking about the best way to get all this stuff to my other family members. I'm still leaning toward the PDF approach, but I'll experiment some more. 

I appreciate the tips.

Rick

RickL

#8 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 11:43 AM

Rick,

I've made lots of Publisher books, and one of the aspects I like best is that, once a Publisher book has been defined by selecting chapters & setting fonts & indices, it becomes a trivial matter to issue updates and revisions. This is because Publisher saves the outline, not all of the details. To issue a revision, simply re-Publish. On my larger books (typically 700-900 pages), this takes 5 minutes or less.

One feature I've wished for is to be able to create & save a Publisher template with my preferred basic chapter list (Cover, Title Page, Copyright, TOC, Preface, Notes, Pedigree, Narrative, Acknowledgements, etc. along with a few blank pages and all of my preferred Font, Layout, Endnote, Bibliography, and Index settings. But I can't do that. Each new book is a new project from scratch, so the first chunk of time is a simple repetition of itierative tasks. Boring....

You seem to allude to another feature I'd like to see: concatenation.

Assume that I have previously created separate Publisher books for cousin A and cousin B. Can I easily create a book for their common ancestor C? Nope. Gotta start all over from a blank book. There is no provision for concatenating two or more Publisher books into a new, larger Publisher book.

I imagine concatenation as a variation on RM's drag-n-drop. Open two Publisher books side-by-side, and drag chapters from one book to the other. That would be SWEET !!!

Yes, I was thinking (hoping) that I could concantenate several books into one in a PDF. Of course after thinking about that some more, there would be no summation of an index or table of contents, and notes could be duplicated all over the place. It probably makes more sense to create one big book with publisher and add the chapters as necessary to cover the desired generations in a given family line. The current state of the software does not seem to lend itself to any sort of concantenation of separate books, so the manual option seems the best bet.

Rick. 

RickL