• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chzuck

chzuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 03:39 PM

When I pick a family to make a scrapbook all I see are the photos of the parents and nothing for the children.  Need help in figuring out what to do.

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1582 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 06:16 AM

Scrapbooks for families only print media attached to "family-type" facts: marriage, divorce, census(family), etc.

Those scrapbooks do not look at any other family links (parents, children) to compile the lists of media for inclusion.

#3 chzuck

chzuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 07:23 AM

So if I tag a child's photo as family it would then appear in the scrapbook with the parents?

#4 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1582 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 08:47 AM

There's no such thing as "tagging a photo as family."

There are individual fact types and family fact types.

If you tag/attach media to a family fact type, it will be included in that family's scrapbook. For these purposes, a famiy is ONLY the two spouses, not any others (no parents, no kids).

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3929 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 08:48 AM

You would have to tag the child's photo to a marriage fact or to a divorce fact or some such. Then the child's photo would be in the family scrapbook.

Jerry

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3929 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 08:54 AM

Things like marriage facts and divorce facts in RM (and the Census (family) fact!) are all called family facts. But they perhaps should be called couple facts or spouse facts because they only apply to the couple. Family scrapbooks work the same way, except that there is nothing to prevent you from tagging any photo you wish to a couple fact, including a photo of a child.

This issue most typically arises when users enter a Census (family) fact with all the information for the whole family and users then expect the information to be printed for the children. But the Census (family) fact doesn't work that way, nor does any family fact. With photos and scrapbooks, you can get around the terminology by tagging photos of children to a a marriage fact or other family fact.

Jerry

#7 chzuck

chzuck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 10:14 AM

Well that's a bummer.

Here is what I am trying to accomplish.  I am trying to put something together using Rootsmagic that would show my ancestors and photos that could be saved to disk or printed to pass on to my children so they can see who their ancestors were. 

#8 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3929 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 03:12 PM

You can do it. You just can't do it with family facts if you want the family facts to be associated with the children.

For example, you might consider creating a dummy fact type which is of individual type or something like that. You might call this dummy fact type something like Scrapbook or Photographs or something like that. It would be a dummy fact type in the sense that the dummy fact type would not appear in most reports. Instead, you would use the dummy fact types as places to which to tag photographs to get the photographs. You could add the dummy fact types to dummy people or to real people. Either way, you could print the scrapbook for the dummy person or for the real person. There are not restrictions on what photographs are tagged to which facts, so you could tag photos from lots of different people to the same fact.

Or if you prefer the family approach, create a dummy fact type for families called Photographs (family) or Scrapbook (family) or something like that. You could add the dummy fact type to dummy people or to real people. You would link your photos for both the parents and the children to the dummy fact type and then you could print the scrapbook for the family.

The scrapbooks you print will not be integrated with any kind of Family Group Sheets or Descendant or Ancestor Narrative report or anything like that. And you will need to use RM to add captions to label your photos before printing.

If you really want both text and photos in the same "book" using RM, you can do so but the text and photos will not be mixed together on the same page. Use RM's Publisher feature and make some of the chapters into narrative reports or Family Group Sheets or something like that, and make other of your chapters into scrapbooks. So the book as a whole can contain both text and photos, but each individual page will be text only or photos only. The only exception is that you can designate one primary photo to be printed as a part of the text for a person.

Jerry