3 replies to this topic

#1 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 11:11 AM

I have a question regarding shared event media. 

I am well aware of the many issues surrounding shared events. However, I have still found this to be a viable tool under certain circumstances.

My question is this. Is it possible to make a scrapbook including media from a shared event? I have not found a way to do this short of duplicating the media and adding it to the "shared with" person's event.

Example -

"Father's census record is shared to daughter's record. The census media will not print in daughter's scrapbook unless I independently add the media to her record."

I'm having this problem with both the Report/Scrapbook and with the Publisher scrapbook, so I'm assuming its all related to sharing.

Is there another way around this? 

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6329 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 02:17 PM

That's one if the shortfalls in the development of shared events. I came up with what I hoped would be a short-lived workaround in 2012-13 that may be relevant to your wants. See
https://sqlitetoolsf...haree-personal/

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 03:54 PM

That's one if the shortfalls in the development of shared events. I came up with what I hoped would be a short-lived workaround in 2012-13 that may be relevant to your wants. See
https://sqlitetoolsf...haree-personal/

Thanks Tom.

That's kind of what I figured. Was just hoping. So, I'm left with the option of tagging the media in the "share-or" record to the event for the "share-ee", or placing a note that points back to the record of the "share-or", or run the script. I'll play with it and see what seems to be the best.

Appreciate it

Rick

RickL

#4 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 12:14 PM

After some trial and error and testing, I have determined (that for me) the following process is the most efficient way to include shared media and fact/event information in Narrative Reports, Scrap books, and share with Ancestry.com. It is a bit awkard but it does work and it is accomplished entirely within RM without having to use external scripts, etc. My tests have confirmed that the shared fact/event sources are included in the Narrative Report end notes, and creating media tags against the "sharee" person's general profile includes the media in scrapbooks. The "Comment" placed in Ancestry.com alerts Ancestry readers that there are shared records in RM for the "sharee" person, and how to review that information and media in Ancestry, even though it will not transfer to the "sharee" person in TreeShare.

I mostly use sharing to expedite the inclusion of additional family members in U.S. Census facts, and it works just fine within Roots Magic.

Shared Facts/Events/Media Posting Instructions:

1) For each person that a fact is to be shared with, share the fact or event from person(1) with person(2..n).

2) Tag the shared media for the fact/event to the "general person details", in the "Sharee" person's profile. 
(This will allow printing in reports and transfer to A.com in TreeShare). You can repeat this for each person the Fact/Media is shared with.
The media in the persons gallery can then be rearranged if needed or as desired.

3) Run a test RM report, or scrapbook report, to confirm the data and media will be included.

4) Use TreeShare to update Ancestry.com.

5)  Place a "Shared" comment (not note) to Ancestry.com for the "sharee" person. 
Example -
[Note: One or more events/facts for this person are "shared" with one or more other Roots Magic  tree members. These shared facts/media will transfer to Ancestry.com using Tree Share for the "principle" or "sharer" person only. The shared facts/media for the "sharee" person will not transfer to Ancestry.com via Tree Share. However, the shared facts/media can be viewed in Ancestry by referring to the "principle" or "sharer" person's record (typically the head of the family, father, mother, sibling, or spouse of the "sharee" person being viewed. (Example - head of family for census record).] 

Hopefully, RM8 may address some of this concern.
Rick

RickL