Photo

How to automatically add Death Facts to old people?

Death Fact

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 psinacio

psinacio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 08:53 PM

Hi,  I need some help...

Is there any easy way to automatically add "empty" Death Facts to people older than an age?

I have more than 12 thousands names in my tree and many of them do not have a death fact, even though there are certainty dead, since they were born in very ancient dates or marriage in other centuries, or even were for sure dead. How to fix that?

I could make a customized search for empty death facts, but I have to manually add facts thousand times...

#2 Romer

Romer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2082 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 09:21 AM

psinacio, for what purpose are you wanting to add empty death facts?  Would changing the Living flag to unchecked via an automated script achieve what you're wanting without the repercussions?

#3 psinacio

psinacio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 01:52 PM

psinacio, for what purpose are you wanting to add empty death facts?  Would changing the Living flag to unchecked via an automated script achieve what you're wanting without the repercussions?

Romer, as long as I understand, FamilySearch tree requires it to define who is living or not. My understanding is that a living flag does not work for the sync purposes...

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8718 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 03:06 PM

FamilySearch will recognize the living flag when adding a person. Though if they are on FamilySearch already the only way to change the living flag through the FT API is to add a death fact. I usually click on the "Show on Family Tree" button on the Share Data tab and mark them deceased when needed. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 psinacio

psinacio

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 06:29 PM

I will try this approach  :)

#6 Don Newcomb

Don Newcomb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1074 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 04:56 PM

Back in the days of Win 3.1 you could create a macro to find someone who had a date over some age and no death fact, then add a death fact. You could then create a macro to repeat the first macro 20 times. I miss Windows macros.

However, I agree. I would not add a blank death fact unless there was some really strong reason for doing so.

#7 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1694 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 03:24 PM

Not using a blank date for any of the fact settings.  In doing so, does not make sense.  My cue sheets are in Excel in my DL [Direct Line] check list sheet/could be my To Do Check List sheet.  Then I know and can note/check icon  that I have found the answer to finding a date for a fact. 

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#8 Kamolga

Kamolga

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 10:16 AM

/* Event-Add_Death.sql
2013-01-16 Tom Holden ve3meo

Adds a dead event to all dead people lacking one.
Nor date, place, description or note is added.

*/
;

INSERT INTO EventTable
SELECT NULL AS EventID
    ,2 AS EventType
    ,0 AS OwnerType
    ,PersonID AS OwnerID
    ,0 AS FamilyID
    ,0 AS PlaceID
    ,0 AS SiteID
    ,'.' AS DATE
    ,9223372036854775807 AS SortDate
    ,0 AS IsPrimary
    ,0 AS IsPrivate
    ,0 AS Proof
    ,0 AS STATUS
    ,0 AS EditDate
    ,CAST('' AS BLOB) AS Sentence
    ,CAST('' AS BLOB) AS Details
    ,'' AS Note
FROM PersonTable
WHERE PersonID IN (
        -- Person without Dead Fact
        SELECT distinct PersonID AS PersonID FROM PersonTable WHERE Living = 0
except select OwnerID as PersonID from EventTable where EventType=2
        );

I started from this query but added a death year with an 'about' and an * as a suffix. I know that anyone with * has unreliable dates (not proven) and I can therefore quickly know if a new person from another source could match an existing one.

Rootsmagic 7.5.9.0 with a lot of SQL queries (SQLiteSpy) and a bit of Family Historian 6.2 (tree view and map)

#9 Dick-TMG

Dick-TMG

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 05:15 PM

Kamolga,

I ran your script on a test project and it worked as advertised. I did see an anomaly in that when doing a narrative report RM produces a sentence ???? died. Not a show stopper but it does not add much in a narrative report.

I kept your script for use later and perhaps modified for other purposes.

#10 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 04:38 AM

Dick-TMG, Kamolga's script cannot produce "????" in a narrative report sentence. It does not create a custom sentence for each death event added so the default sentence template for the Death fact type is used. The default sentence template, unless you modified it, begins "[person] died"... so the "????" you got came from an expansion of the [person] variable which is itself a function that rotates through the fields in the NameTable for the Primary Name of the person having that record number. It seems to me that you have person(s) in the NameTable with "????" as their Given or Surname or, possibly, with no values for their record in the NameTable or no record at all in the NameTable and RM has substituted "????" in their absence.So I think you have some issue in your database that has been signalled by this unexpected result from the script.

Because you readily used the script, I think you must already be acquainted with the SQLite resource linked in my signature.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Death Fact