2 replies to this topic

#1 SomebodySmart

SomebodySmart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 09:16 AM

I have been compiling the records from my ancestral town in Italy. Today I arrived at a transcript of a church record, filed with marriage processetti. It is a death record of a guy who died in 1797 and it names his parents. I already had his father but with his mother I know that the parents are my direct-line ancestors and I have connected over 100 persons to my tree. A few were already connected from another line.

I highlit my son and selected that all his ancestors should be again color-coded blue. I went up the pedigree and on each earliest-of-line I selected and color-coded the highlit person and descendants, including spouses, to be color-coded maroon. Then I went through all the earliest-of-line again and selected their descendants, excluding the spouses, to be color-coded red. Then I selected my son again and again color-coded him and all his ancestors blue.

Now all the direct-line ancestors are blue, all their descendants are red except for my direct-line ancestors, who are still blue, and all the people connected only by marriage are maroon. Color-coding is not available in RootsMagic Essentials, the free version. 

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3880 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:40 AM

I do similar things sometimes. Doing so is not rocket science, but sometimes I wish it didn't take quite so long.  The most time consuming aspect of something like this is going to each of the earliest of the line ancestors and color coding the descendants. There is a feature when marking ancestors also to come back down the descendant line which can help with this problem. However, I usually find the feature of marking descendants coming back down line too limited to solve the problem I'm trying to solve.

For example, it wouldn't work in your case because the marking coming back down from the descendants does not have a spouse or no spouses option. The problem I usually run into is that the marking coming back down from the descendants comes back down from every ancestor when what I really need is for it come back down only from the earliest line ancestors.

Jerry

#3 SomebodySmart

SomebodySmart

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 04:27 PM

Many persons follow the custom of including the spouses of cousins, and the parents of the spouses, which helps identify the spouse. They limit the relatives of the spouse to the parents in their report because the other relatives of the spouse are not related to the tree. RM should have a feature, INCLUDE SPOUSES AND THEIR PARENTS which would be one color; then after they are all color-coded, color-code the descendants INCLUDE SPOUSES (my maroon) and then color-code the descendants (my red). For my ancestral town I found it necessary to use a color (green) as a warning that there are two couples in the town with the same names.

I think the whole database should be but one chapter of a book with chapters. Notes like, look how old this bride is compared to her husband, could be easily located. I am blessed with a town where marriage records called processetti include transcripts of the birth records of the bride and groom, and if the father isn't alive to consent, his death transcript, and if the paternal grandfather is not alive to consent, his death transcript, which is shaky because the bureaucrat might have picked the wrong man with the same name, but sometimes the grandfather's wife is named and it matches the father's mother. Warnings like this could be included as a preface to the family group record.