22 replies to this topic

#1 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 07:44 PM

Have mac users gone dark pending RM7 64 bit or RM8 native or just left?

#2 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:04 PM

Holding breath turning purple until RootsTech release in February.

#3 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 10:31 PM

most have left

#4 dixieau

dixieau

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 03:43 AM

Pretty much given up waiting. Weekly I find myself at my 88yo cousins helping him with his RM7. I honestly find it outdated and cumbersome to use on his windows tweaking it for him that it would have to be pretty spectacular to make me jump over now. It’s been so long waiting that I’ve become accustomed to what I’m using. Sad for RootsMagic because it could have been good.

#5 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 09:01 AM

Pretty much given up waiting. Weekly I find myself at my 88yo cousins helping him with his RM7. I honestly find it outdated and cumbersome to use on his windows tweaking it for him that it would have to be pretty spectacular to make me jump over now. It’s been so long waiting that I’ve become accustomed to what I’m using. Sad for RootsMagic because it could have been good.

What software have you switched to? I am currently using FTM 2019 but hope to return to RM8 if it ever appears.

#6 CPWicks10934

CPWicks10934

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 06:40 AM

After waiting since October and not having access to my Rootsmagic genealogical data I have experimented with alternative solutions and found one I am comfortable with.

#7 ftipple

ftipple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 08:09 AM

Flirted with FTM. Didn't really expect to like it, and have to say my expectations were fully met. I also have Heredis and Mac FamilyTree. But for me the bottom line is that I prefer RM to the others, even in its non-native version.

So I decided to stop giving myself anxiety attacks and to wait patiently for RM8. I haven't updated to Catalina, and won't do so until RM8, or a new Crossover wrapper for RM7, appears. And incidentally once I stopped obsessing about the delayed arrival of RM8 life became a lot calmer!

Interestingly, I was looking at Mac FamilyTree this morning, and some of the screens and icons are quite similar to the titbits of RM8 that we've seen.

#8 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 08:50 AM

Flirted with FTM. Didn't really expect to like it, and have to say my expectations were fully met. I also have Heredis and Mac FamilyTree. But for me the bottom line is that I prefer RM to the others, even in its non-native version.

So I decided to stop giving myself anxiety attacks and to wait patiently for RM8. I haven't updated to Catalina, and won't do so until RM8, or a new Crossover wrapper for RM7, appears. And incidentally once I stopped obsessing about the delayed arrival of RM8 life became a lot calmer!

Interestingly, I was looking at Mac FamilyTree this morning, and some of the screens and icons are quite similar to the titbits of RM8 that we've seen.

FTM 2019 with patch is pretty good but mackiev is very controlling and money hungry. Heredis text was too small for me and french support was terrible. Hated mac family tree even though it was a beautiful native mac app. The RM8 teasers suggest a native mac style interface with great ease of use. Windows users will be troubled at first but soon adapt to a better interface.

Be sure you really want to "upgrade" to Catalina. You can't go back since the internal drive is split into system and data partions. All 32 bit apps will die including Overdrive to download library books as may your scanner driver and software. Apple supports the last 3 operating systems so you are fine on Mojave for now.

#9 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3974 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:29 AM

Windows users will be troubled at first but soon adapt to a better interface.

As a Windows user, I'm a little worried about that.

Most aspects of Bruce's 30 minute demo seemed very positive. But I really didn't like the absence of conventional Windows style menus and tool bars. Microsoft has flirted with those kinds of changes with some of their products on Windows, but generally speaking they have had to back down in the face of user resistance and restore a bit of more "Windows conventional" aspects to the user interface. I'm talking, for example, about the tile interface on Windows 8 and the ribbon interface on Microsoft Office (can't remember the version of Office where the ribbon came out).  But all vendors seem determined to hide as many options and features from you as they can until they feel like you really need them, which can make it horribly difficult to find things. PDF viewers, for example, often these days hide simple things like the Print icon from you until and unless you wiggle the mouse. Yuck!

Jerry

#10 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 11:55 AM

Jerry:

Not to worry! Those garbage interface problems you mentioned are all microsoft and adobe nonsense.

Apple does things right and puts menus and icons right in front of you. There are always several ways to do something and you can customize the menu bar  and dock with the icons you desire removing the ones you do not want. People love macs, pads and phones because that higher price brings a quality interface and sturdy software free of malware.

#11 ftipple

ftipple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 11:30 AM

Rooty: apart from RM7, I'm not sure that I run any 32-bit programs nowadays! 

#12 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 11:57 AM

Rooty: apart from RM7, I'm not sure that I run any 32-bit programs nowadays! 

check about this mac under the apple icon top left - system report - applications

then sort the 64. bit yes no column. you will have a couple from apple.

#13 CPWicks10934

CPWicks10934

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 07:23 AM

check about this mac under the apple icon top left - system report - applications

then sort the 64. bit yes no column. you will have a couple from apple.

In Catalina you go to Legacy Software rather than applications to identify 32 bit apps.   I do not have nay apple or other 32 bit software

#14 CPWicks10934

CPWicks10934

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 07:26 AM

How to find 32-bit apps on your Mac

System Information can find 32-bit apps that are installed on your Mac:

1. Choose Apple menu  > About This Mac, then click the System Report button.
  2. Select Legacy Software in the sidebar. All legacy software is 32-bit.
  3. If you don't see Legacy Software in the sidebar, select Applications in the sidebar, then check the list of apps on the right. The column labeled ”64-Bit (Intel)” shows ”No” for apps that are 32-bit.

When upgrading to macOS Catalina, the installer shows a list of recently used apps that are 32-bit. You can review this list before choosing whether to cancel or continue the installation:

#15 ftipple

ftipple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 04:28 PM

Actually, I was being flippant - I checked months ago, and RM its the only 32-bit program on my computer.

But thanks anyway!

#16 History Hunter

History Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 04:36 PM

I'm so fed up with this "I've got a secret and I'm not telling" attitude that RM is exhibiting wrt. RM8 that I'm actively looking for another Mac genealogy program.

I bought the "vapourware" early bird license over a year ago and I'll be surprised if RM8 ever actually gets released. It's kind of the same situation as we have with the Trans-Mountain Pipeline here in Canada. We only hear tidbits about progress. The Prime Minister keeps saying it will be built, but I'll believe it when I see oil flowing.

Frankly; if I find a workable alternative with any reasonable level of support, I may change over whether RM8 is released or not.

#17 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 09:08 AM

Heredis 2020 just released a mac version at half price $25. This euro-centric program runs well on macs natively and has now added a knowledge base and email support. However when I used the free trial and asked a simple help question the answer was provided in french! Not much help to most people. It also did not solve my problem even though I could read it. 

#18 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 12:03 PM

Will the last rootsmagic user please turn out the lights as you leave?

Roots tech is next week and the silence on RM8 and RM7 in a 64 bit wrapper is deafening.

I would like to know what other mac users have found as rootsmagic replacements.

#19 History Hunter

History Hunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 12:59 PM

While I detest companies that encode their databases, FTM looks like a reasonable alternative.

I've pretty-much given up on RM* despite having purchased an "early bird" licence over a year ago.

There was a recent bug-fix release for RM7 that sends a clear message that RM8 is coming any time soon.

#20 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 01:17 PM

While I detest companies that encode their databases, FTM looks like a reasonable alternative.

I've pretty-much given up on RM* despite having purchased an "early bird" licence over a year ago.

There was a recent bug-fix release for RM7 that sends a clear message that RM8 is coming any time soon.

My interpretation too on the RM7 32 bit update. I chose FTM which works pretty well and has a good hints feature for ancestry and FamSearch. However there is no trial, it is expensive and mackiev is very controlling even after you pay them. Really want the RM8 I paid for in 2019.