4 replies to this topic

#1 JACRISTA

JACRISTA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 07:13 AM

Following on from my previous post, if I were to create another database and move all of my husbands family over to that one, can I then delete them from the original database? I'd be keeping my husband on mine of course so is it possible to leave him on mine, move everyone else and then delete all of them from mine? (hope I'm making sense) 

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3662 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 08:22 AM

There is no bulk delete in RM. The developers have stated that there never will be for fear that a user will bulk delete too many people without having a backup. It therefore could be a lot of work to delete your husband's line from your own database after copying it to the new database.

The solution to your problem is to abandon your current database (but keep it around for backup!). Instead, drag and drop your family from your current database to one new database and drag and drop your husband's family from your current database to a different new database. The two new databases then become the two databases where you do all your future work.

Jerry

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6283 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:05 AM

However, drag'n'drop is flawed; it leaves some things behind. Which makes the RootsMagician's position on bulk delete rather weak: would he rather have all users risk losing somethings of value than have some reckless ones wreck their database having no backup. The latter can be addressed with a hook to a backup step when bulk delete is invoked or with a rollback feature as is now incorporated in FTM2019.

For details on what's wrong with drag'n'drop, see https://sqlitetoolsf...ransfer-losses/

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 JACRISTA

JACRISTA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 10:31 AM

Ahhh, I see, thank you Jerry, I understand that completely.

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3662 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 01:16 PM

I always find myself reluctant to recommend drag and drop because of the potential data loss issues that Tom references. But in practical terms, that's the only choice that RM provides, so I find my self recommending it anyway. The only other choice usually isn't practical. Namely, make a copy of your database (no data loss at all), then delete your family from one of the copies and delete your husband's family from the other copy. The reason this usually isn't practical is that you have to delete one person at a time or one person at a time - there not being a bulk delete.

One if the things I'm looking for in RM8 is whether it improves any of these issues or not.

Jerry