5 replies to this topic

#1 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3929 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 01:44 PM

The following list is a work in progress. It's a checklist for things I will be looking at when RM8 is released and I can get my hands on it. It's quite a different sort of list than is a wish list. I thought I would post this list since it is now 2020 and it seems likely that RM8 will be released in 2020. By the way, I think I can already answer some of the questions from the this checklist based on the RM8 previews that are available so far, but I will want to go through the whole list anyway after RM8 is released.

Jerry

• Are RTF files produced by RM8 more or less the same as RTF files produced by RM7, or are there significant differences? I'm talking about the underlying technology of the reports here rather than the way the final product looks. Going from RM3 to RM4, the RTF files were radically different and had to be post-processed in a very different way.
  • Does RM8 still use SQLite? If so, is the database still unencrypted and available to user query?
  • Does RM8 incorporate a substantial number of long term user requests? If so, which ones are included?
  • Does RM8 support the tagging of a grave-marker photograph to a Burial Fact in such a way that the photograph will be printed as a part of the burial fact in a narrative report?
  • Does RM8 support multiple languages in the user interface?
  • Does RM8 support multiple languages in sentence templates and reports?
  • If RM8 supports multiple languages, could the same RM8 database be set up to be print a report in one language and then quickly switch to another set of sentence templates to print the same report in a different language?
  • Does RM8 incorporate improved hotkey or other keyboard only operation as compared to RM7? (Note: RM4 through RM7 hotkey operation was considerably degraded as compared to RM1 through RM3. The ultimate test of hotkey support is whether you can use RM8 without any mouse or other pointing device at all).
  • Does RM8 make it easy for users to control fonts and font sizes throughout the RM8 user interface?
  • Does RM8 support a [Note] variable in the Sentence Template Language.
  • Does RM8 support [note type variables] for the four different kinds of sourcing notes in the Source Template Language?
  • Does RM8 support printing the two sourcing notes that are associated with the Master Source when printing footnotes and endnotes in reports?
  • Does RM8 support the person's Name as a Fact which supports a note and citations, and can the Name Fact then be exchanged with an Alternate Name Fact?
  • Does RM8 support notes and citations to document the evidence for parent/child relationships?
  • Does RM8 include an option to support the export of shared facts as if they were real facts via all interfaces to external systems, including GEDCOM?
  • Does RM8 include an option to support concatenation of Place + Place Details fields in the Place field during export of data via all interfaces to external systems, including GEDCOM?
  • Does RM8 support complete user control over the content of the spouse's sentence in narrative reports?
  • Does RM8 fix the problem of incorrect XE entries (index entries) in RTF files?
  • Does RM8 fix the problem of a space at the beginning of a line in reports when a previous fact has forced a carriage return?
  • Does RM8 support a Print button for Place Details?
  • Does RM8 provide clarity in the Place Management screens about whether you are deleting a Place or a Place Detail?
  • Does RM8 provide a function to copy a portion of a database such that no data that is intended to be copied is changed or lost (the "Drag and Drop lost data problem")?
  • Does RM8 support a true sync mode of operation for TreeShare?
  • Does RM8 support complete user control over vertical and horizontal white space in narrative reports?
  • Does RM8 support non-modal windows and non-modal operation?
  • Does RM8 support listing or viewing places with items for a given place ordered largest to smallest (e.g., country, state, county, city, place details). This question specifically refers to the live Place List, not to a static report.
  • Does RM8 support the ability to mark specific individuals to be carried forward to the next generation in narrative reports, even if they have no spouse or children?
  • Does RM8 support shared citations or any other mechanism whereby citations can be copied and pasted, and then where corrections can be made only one time to be applied to all copies that were pasted?
  • Does RM8 support dynamic groups (and dynamic color coding, and dynamic Set Relationships?)
  • Does RM8 support showing a person's color coding even when the person is highlighted?
  • Does RM8 show clearly which person is highlighted, both in the sidebar and in the main view, and whether it is the sidebar or the main view that has the focus?
  • Does RM8 solve problem where UTF-8 characters from alphabets other than English do not sort correctly for those other alphabets (the RMNOCASE problem)?
  • Do RM8's searches work correctly for UTF-8 characters from alphabets other than English?
  • Does RM8 support live lists that are sortable and filterable and from which you can edit data, rather than relying so heavily on static reports? (This is a variation on the question about non-modal operation.)
  • Does RM8 support Family Facts in People View?
  • Does RM support shared facts in People View (actually, it would be the "witness facts" or "role facts" that we would need to see in People View)?
  • Do RM8's searching and marking dialogs support directing multiple Boolean conditions all to the same fact?
  • Does RM8's People View support multiple instances of the same fact, such as census facts for the same person which are for different census years?
  • Does RM8 support merging Source Templates?
  • Does RM8 fix user reported errors in the built-in Source Templates?
  • Does RM8 support applying groups to views other than People View?
  • Does RM8 support applying groups to the initial TreeShare upload? (Groups can already be applied to the "TreeShare View", but not to the initial TreeShare upload).
  • Does RM8 keep track of whether anything has been changed in the Note Editor - and exit without updating the Date Last Edited field if nothing was changed and alert you if you try to exit the Note Editor without saving when something actually has been changed?
  • Does RM8 eliminate or mitigate the problem of lost data on GEDCOM export/import. Of particular importance are trailing carriage returns in notes, long Description fields in facts, individual customization of shared facts, and the DNA fact. But the ultimate goal should be that RM can export/import or drag and drop data with itself with zero data loss.
  • Does RM8 sort sources alphabetically in the Citation Manager screen. More generally, do more of RM8's screen permit sorting by column be clicking the top of the column? Do any such sorts support sorting by multiple columns? And in any case, are the upward pointing and downward pointing arrowheads at the top of sortable columns point the same way the column is sorted, or do the arrowheads continue to be backwards as they are in RM7?

#2 warhorse

warhorse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 January 2020 - 02:00 PM

I agree with the list but, I would add/ask:

• Does RM8 support re-arrangement of citations other than copying and pasting, such as highlighting and using the arrows to move the citation within the citation manager?

I have cited the source as a book (or whatever the primary source is) and the same source as a digital image separately with where I got the digital source, then put the digital source with the "digital" citation so anyone can look at the image should anyone wish to verify.  I found it a pain in the butt to constantly copy-paste to get citations the way I want them arranged.

#3 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 04:15 AM

Your checklist makes very interesting reading Jerry! While I'm trying to keep a bit of an open mind about RM8 its hard not to wonder about what we might see!

I must admit a possible change to the structure of RTF output had not occurred to  me but I had wondered if as well as RTF we might see Open Document Format as an option given its now a native format in Word as well as the open source office suites.

Very high on my checklist though is how RM8 will handle Gedcoms!

#4 JCK74656

JCK74656

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 06:36 AM

The following list is a work in progress. It's a checklist for things I will be looking at when RM8 is released and I can get my hands on it. It's quite a different sort of list than is a wish list. I thought I would post this list since it is now 2020 and it seems likely that RM8 will be released in 2020. By the way, I think I can already answer some of the questions from the this checklist based on the RM8 previews that are available so far, but I will want to go through the whole list anyway after RM8 is released.

Jerry

• Are RTF files produced by RM8 more or less the same as RTF files produced by RM7, or are there significant differences? I'm talking about the underlying technology of the reports here rather than the way the final product looks. Going from RM3 to RM4, the RTF files were radically different and had to be post-processed in a very different way.
  • Does RM8 still use SQLite? If so, is the database still unencrypted and available to user query?
  • Does RM8 incorporate a substantial number of long term user requests? If so, which ones are included?
  • Does RM8 support the tagging of a grave-marker photograph to a Burial Fact in such a way that the photograph will be printed as a part of the burial fact in a narrative report?
  • Does RM8 support multiple languages in the user interface?
  • Does RM8 support multiple languages in sentence templates and reports?
  • If RM8 supports multiple languages, could the same RM8 database be set up to be print a report in one language and then quickly switch to another set of sentence templates to print the same report in a different language?
  • Does RM8 incorporate improved hotkey or other keyboard only operation as compared to RM7? (Note: RM4 through RM7 hotkey operation was considerably degraded as compared to RM1 through RM3. The ultimate test of hotkey support is whether you can use RM8 without any mouse or other pointing device at all).
  • Does RM8 make it easy for users to control fonts and font sizes throughout the RM8 user interface?
  • Does RM8 support a [Note] variable in the Sentence Template Language.
  • Does RM8 support [note type variables] for the four different kinds of sourcing notes in the Source Template Language?
  • Does RM8 support printing the two sourcing notes that are associated with the Master Source when printing footnotes and endnotes in reports?
  • Does RM8 support the person's Name as a Fact which supports a note and citations, and can the Name Fact then be exchanged with an Alternate Name Fact?
  • Does RM8 support notes and citations to document the evidence for parent/child relationships?
  • Does RM8 include an option to support the export of shared facts as if they were real facts via all interfaces to external systems, including GEDCOM?
  • Does RM8 include an option to support concatenation of Place + Place Details fields in the Place field during export of data via all interfaces to external systems, including GEDCOM?
  • Does RM8 support complete user control over the content of the spouse's sentence in narrative reports?
  • Does RM8 fix the problem of incorrect XE entries (index entries) in RTF files?
  • Does RM8 fix the problem of a space at the beginning of a line in reports when a previous fact has forced a carriage return?
  • Does RM8 support a Print button for Place Details?
  • Does RM8 provide clarity in the Place Management screens about whether you are deleting a Place or a Place Detail?
  • Does RM8 provide a function to copy a portion of a database such that no data that is intended to be copied is changed or lost (the "Drag and Drop lost data problem")?
  • Does RM8 support a true sync mode of operation for TreeShare?
  • Does RM8 support complete user control over vertical and horizontal white space in narrative reports?
  • Does RM8 support non-modal windows and non-modal operation?
  • Does RM8 support listing or viewing places with items for a given place ordered largest to smallest (e.g., country, state, county, city, place details). This question specifically refers to the live Place List, not to a static report.
  • Does RM8 support the ability to mark specific individuals to be carried forward to the next generation in narrative reports, even if they have no spouse or children?
  • Does RM8 support shared citations or any other mechanism whereby citations can be copied and pasted, and then where corrections can be made only one time to be applied to all copies that were pasted?
  • Does RM8 support dynamic groups (and dynamic color coding, and dynamic Set Relationships?)
  • Does RM8 support showing a person's color coding even when the person is highlighted?
  • Does RM8 show clearly which person is highlighted, both in the sidebar and in the main view, and whether it is the sidebar or the main view that has the focus?
  • Does RM8 solve problem where UTF-8 characters from alphabets other than English do not sort correctly for those other alphabets (the RMNOCASE problem)?
  • Do RM8's searches work correctly for UTF-8 characters from alphabets other than English?
  • Does RM8 support live lists that are sortable and filterable and from which you can edit data, rather than relying so heavily on static reports? (This is a variation on the question about non-modal operation.)
  • Does RM8 support Family Facts in People View?
  • Does RM support shared facts in People View (actually, it would be the "witness facts" or "role facts" that we would need to see in People View)?
  • Do RM8's searching and marking dialogs support directing multiple Boolean conditions all to the same fact?
  • Does RM8's People View support multiple instances of the same fact, such as census facts for the same person which are for different census years?
  • Does RM8 support merging Source Templates?
  • Does RM8 fix user reported errors in the built-in Source Templates?
  • Does RM8 support applying groups to views other than People View?
  • Does RM8 support applying groups to the initial TreeShare upload? (Groups can already be applied to the "TreeShare View", but not to the initial TreeShare upload).
  • Does RM8 keep track of whether anything has been changed in the Note Editor - and exit without updating the Date Last Edited field if nothing was changed and alert you if you try to exit the Note Editor without saving when something actually has been changed?
  • Does RM8 eliminate or mitigate the problem of lost data on GEDCOM export/import. Of particular importance are trailing carriage returns in notes, long Description fields in facts, individual customization of shared facts, and the DNA fact. But the ultimate goal should be that RM can export/import or drag and drop data with itself with zero data loss.
  • Does RM8 sort sources alphabetically in the Citation Manager screen. More generally, do more of RM8's screen permit sorting by column be clicking the top of the column? Do any such sorts support sorting by multiple columns? And in any case, are the upward pointing and downward pointing arrowheads at the top of sortable columns point the same way the column is sorted, or do the arrowheads continue to be backwards as they are in RM7?

I look forward to your updated list post release.

#5 John Bernacki

John Bernacki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 05:18 PM

I very much hope RM8 will have much better pedigree charts. If they do I will become a RM user. Currently RM pedigree charts: do not fit in much data; when locations do not fit, the part shown starts from the highest level of jurisdiction instead of the smallest; there is no option to put boxes around each person's data.

#6 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:30 AM

You might prefer a box chart: Reports/Charts/Box charts/Ancestors. You will have much more control of the output, format, etc.