• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Rianhard

Tom Rianhard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 10:50 AM

Under the heading of 'flailing deceased equines', I have broached this subject in a few other forum entries.

Let me try to sell it in a RM marketing way; I am a senior; I want to pass along family history information to other, younger family members who, at this time, do not want to actively pursue family history data collection and storing in files. However, they do have an interest in being able to fine and display that history. I want to supply them with RM databases and a means to display them, and hope that subsequently their familiarity with tha app and the data will encourage them to get the main app and seek more information to update the database. The RM Essentials App fits this requirement, but the means to access the databases is far too convoluted to enable those with limited interest to expend the time and learning to accomplish it!

My long range intent would be to share database files with others in such a way that they would be independent of my dropbox (or other) sharing approach. To explain this differently, I would want remote users to be able to load a copy of a database from cloud storage, or texts and emails, into a regular or 'essentials' version of RM on a apple device, and these users would be able save the database to their device, locally, disconnect from my cloud storage, and still have access to, and 'own' the database.

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6283 posts

Posted 02 January 2020 - 10:20 PM

Your message implies to me that the problem you see is the "convoluted way to open a database with RM Essentials on an apple device". What is it that seems so convoluted that it would deter the mildly interested (the disinterested are a lost cause)?

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 01:12 AM

Your message implies to me that the problem you see is the "convoluted way to open a database with RM Essentials on an apple device". What is it that seems so convoluted that it would deter the mildly interested (the disinterested are a lost cause)?

Do you mean on an iPhone or iPad? Or on a Mac? Please make clear to what variety of Apple device you are referring.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8519 posts

Posted 03 January 2020 - 08:04 AM

Another option is to upload a MyRootsMagic website and share it with them. 

Renee
RootsMagic