• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 dhwalt

dhwalt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 06:43 AM

I have followed this thread and can see the concerns that you have with data loss and OneDrive annoyances. Could it be that the probable duplication of files is why the 5GB cap on OneDrive has been reached? It would be possible to check for that in your OneDrive account but then the next step would be deleting duplicates which could cause even more issues. As has been said better to get RM7 working then deal with OneDrive.

Source media files can be stored anywhere on your PC and RM7 can be pointed to them.

Windows 10 has a Backup procedure using File History that expects media to be kept in the Pictures folder. In my case C:\Users\David\Pictures and you will have the same, your username replacing 'David'. Pictures is Microsoft's naming convention and a subfolder containing jpg, png, doc, pdf... is OK and will be backed up. As an example you could use C:\Users\Username\Pictures\Media OR C:\Users\Username\Pictures\RM_Media OR your choice, including subfolders inside the Media folder. Username is whatever you used when setting up the new laptop.

Copy your RM7 media from the external drive to wherever you have the RM_Media folder. If you want to play safe then at this stage a couple of test files would be sufficient in your new RM_Media folder, just to get things started.

In the RM7 menu bar click on the camera icon (the tooltip will say Edit multimedia) - click on Media gallery

Media Gallery has its own menubar - click on Tools - Fix brokem media links

This will open the Fix Broken Media Links dialog

There is a dropdown - Where do you want to search for the media? - choose <A folder>

A File Explorer window opens and you will navigate to your source media folder - Media OR RM_Media OR ...

In the left side Panel you will likely have Quick access and Microsoft include their Pictures folder. If you chose to put your media folder in Pictures then you will see it in the folder list - click on the media folder and click the Select Folder button.

The Fix Broken Media Links dialog will now have <A folder> in the upper box and the lower box will show your filepath with subfolders - Click on OK and RM7 will takeover.

#22 Muppet81

Muppet81

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 10:14 AM

You have all been so kind and I am still struggling I'm afraid

Went back to computer shop today. 

They unlinked One Drive from my account

They rebuilt my Windows User id so that the path is now exactly as on my old laptop

C:\Users\Pam\Documents\Roots Magic7 Backup\Media

I go into my File Explorer and follow this path - the media file thumbnails are there.  If I click on one it asks me what I want to open the file with. I wasn't sure so tried PHOTOS.  The file opened up.  Great.

I went into Roots Magic.

Lists

Media Gallery

Tools

Fix Broken Links

Tried search all drives - nothing found

Tried the <A> drive option - directed to Documents\Roots Magic7 Backup\Media  - the folder looks to be empty ???????? I know it isn't

The only difference now is that the files when I look at them in File Explorer have a different name. Jerry explained that this happens when it is a copy from an external drive, but should not matter.

example:

original filename - 1939 Register Jack Haughton b 1919.jpeg

now                     - 1939 Register Jack Haughton b 1919(2017_12_02 10_09_10 UTC).jpeg 

I don't like the addition to my file name as it is not as easy ro recognise for me, not as meaningful, but I can live with it.  

#23 Muppet81

Muppet81

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 10:16 AM

I have followed this thread and can see the concerns that you have with data loss and OneDrive annoyances. Could it be that the probable duplication of files is why the 5GB cap on OneDrive has been reached? It would be possible to check for that in your OneDrive account but then the next step would be deleting duplicates which could cause even more issues. As has been said better to get RM7 working then deal with OneDrive.

Source media files can be stored anywhere on your PC and RM7 can be pointed to them.

Windows 10 has a Backup procedure using File History that expects media to be kept in the Pictures folder. In my case C:\Users\David\Pictures and you will have the same, your username replacing 'David'. Pictures is Microsoft's naming convention and a subfolder containing jpg, png, doc, pdf... is OK and will be backed up. As an example you could use C:\Users\Username\Pictures\Media OR C:\Users\Username\Pictures\RM_Media OR your choice, including subfolders inside the Media folder. Username is whatever you used when setting up the new laptop.

Copy your RM7 media from the external drive to wherever you have the RM_Media folder. If you want to play safe then at this stage a couple of test files would be sufficient in your new RM_Media folder, just to get things started.

In the RM7 menu bar click on the camera icon (the tooltip will say Edit multimedia) - click on Media gallery

Media Gallery has its own menubar - click on Tools - Fix brokem media links

This will open the Fix Broken Media Links dialog

There is a dropdown - Where do you want to search for the media? - choose <A folder>

A File Explorer window opens and you will navigate to your source media folder - Media OR RM_Media OR ...

In the left side Panel you will likely have Quick access and Microsoft include their Pictures folder. If you chose to put your media folder in Pictures then you will see it in the folder list - click on the media folder and click the Select Folder button.

The Fix Broken Media Links dialog will now have <A folder> in the upper box and the lower box will show your filepath with subfolders - Click on OK and RM7 will takeover.

Thank you. This doesn't seem to be the case for me.  What on earth am I doing wrong?  I have posted again above

#24 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3978 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 11:07 AM

example:

original filename - 1939 Register Jack Haughton b 1919.jpeg

now                     - 1939 Register Jack Haughton b 1919(2017_12_02 10_09_10 UTC).jpeg 

I don't like the addition to my file name as it is not as easy ro recognise for me, not as meaningful, but I can live with it.  

You have several choices.

• One choice would be to delete all your files from that folder on your new hard disk and reload them from your external hard disk to the same folder on your new hard disk. That should fix the problem.
  • Another choice (and perhaps a little less scary) would simply be to reload the files without first deleting. They should reload ok because the file names won't be the same. You will have two copies of each file and RM should see one of the files and not the other. You could later delete the unwanted version of each file at your leisure.
  • Another choice (and less scary still) would be to manually rename each file to get rid of that weird string in the middle that Windows seems to have added for you.

Actually, here is a safe and easy and quick suggestion just be be sure we are really on the right back. Consider any one file of your choice that you know to be in the correct folder with the wrong file name (well, it's correct except for that weird stuff in the middle) and that you know to be linked into RM with the correct name. Rename just that one file from Windows File Explorer to remove that weird stuff in the middle.  RM should immediately be able to see that one file. There is no reason to proceed further with any more grandiose or complex solution until we are sure that we can fix one file. Sort of the KISS Principle - Keep IT Simple.

Jerry

P.S. and by the way, does anybody know for sure if RM supports jpeg files as image files? Mine are called jpg rather than jpeg and RM supports jpg just fine. I just noticed that little discrepancy and it may not really be a discrepancy. A lot of the file extensions for image files have more than one legal spelling, e.g., tiff and tif are both legal. I am not sure about jpeg and whether RM supports it.

#25 Muppet81

Muppet81

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 11:16 AM

Will try renaming one file.  A great idea. Thanks Jerry

#26 Muppet81

Muppet81

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 11:25 AM

Will try renaming one file.  A great idea. Thanks Jerry

That did not work.  Apologies too. My media files are .jpg

Looks like I will have to try the more radical option.  

Just before I do, the backup of RM 7 I brought over, did not have a tick in the back up media box.  Could this be causing the problem?  Someone referred to this earlier.

#27 Muppet81

Muppet81

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 11:36 AM

OK.  Deleted all the files from my Media folder

Copied .jpg files from Media folder on external drive.  All copied over. Can see them. Can open them.

Went into RM7

Lists

Media Gallery

Tools

Fix broken links

Directed to C:\Users\Pam\Documents\Roopts Magic7 Backup\Media  - nothing showing there at all??????

Reloaded Roots Magic 7 again this morning so this has the correct paths.  

Tried putting one new media file into the Media Folder.  When I followed the path via the fix links tool that folder is STILL empty

#28 dhwalt

dhwalt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 12:50 PM

A typo?

'Fix broken links

Directed to C:\Users\Pam\Documents\Roopts Magic7 Backup\Media  - nothing showing there at all??????'

Should be:

Have you setup your Program Options?

Worth trying -

Tools - Program Options - Folders

The Multimedia files field should be as above: C:\Users\Pam\Documents\Roots Magic7 Backup\Media

Complete the other Default Folder paths at the same time.

If you use File Explorer and see files in the Media folder then that same path in the fix links tool 'should' link with the files BUT that assumes the filenames are those stored in the RM7 database. Make sure that the filename for your new media file, as per your 05.36 post, is correct. Failing that make a new link to the unrecognized file and check the red X is fixed.

#29 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3978 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 01:38 PM

Sorry, but RM does not use the default multimedia files folder to find media files that are already linked into the system. The reason is that after media files are linked into the system, RM only finds them with the absolute file path it has on record. So whatever the problem is, it can't be that.

I'm still very curious that renaming the one file didn't work. Can you post the exact file path where you just restored the files on your new laptop and the exact name of the file you renamed after you renamed it? And could you also post also the exact file path that RM has on record on record for the file. You will get the former information from Windows File Explorer. You will get the latter from RM in Lists>Media Gallery. There just *has* to be some minor difference in either the file path or the file name that's hard to see - a blank or a dash or an underscore or a something. This function of RM is very reliable.

If you post them one line above the other and if they are identical, then I am truly mystified.

Jerry

#30 Muppet81

Muppet81

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 02:02 PM

A typo?

'Fix broken links

Directed to C:\Users\Pam\Documents\Roopts Magic7 Backup\Media  - nothing showing there at all??????'

Should be:

Have you setup your Program Options?

Worth trying -

Tools - Program Options - Folders

The Multimedia files field should be as above: C:\Users\Pam\Documents\Roots Magic7 Backup\Media

Complete the other Default Folder paths at the same time.

If you use File Explorer and see files in the Media folder then that same path in the fix links tool 'should' link with the files BUT that assumes the filenames are those stored in the RM7 database. Make sure that the filename for your new media file, as per your 05.36 post, is correct. Failing that make a new link to the unrecognized file and check the red X is fixed.

Yes a typo. There is no -  Sorry. Brain addled.

#31 Muppet81

Muppet81

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 02:14 PM

OK it gets more confusing.

Program Option

Folders

only the Back up files is populated - C:\Users\Pam\Documents\Roots Magic 7 Backup

I am looking at a media file in

C:\Users\Pam\Documents\Roots Magic 7 Backup\Media

On old laptop

1939 Register Jack H Haughton b 1919.jpg

On new laptop - in file explorer I see it has been duplicated

1939 Register Jack H Haughton b 1919(2017_01_18 15_00_05 UTC.jpg

and also

1939 Register Jack H Haughton b 1919(2017_12_02 10_09_10UTC).jpg

Checked on the external drive and they are both on there too.  Looks like I do not have a decent back up at all.  

Think I need to look at getting a fresh backup from my old laptop.  But can't plug in an external hard drive.  Will look at the options mentioned yesterday for transferring Windows 10 files.  Sadly probably just a step too much at the moment as life is very difficult and finding the time tricky.  

#32 Muppet81

Muppet81

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 02:30 PM

Using the above media file for Jack H Haughton I

deleted the one ending 10UTC

I altered the one ending 05UTC to remove the figures within brackets

This left the media file as

1939 Register Jack H Haughton b 1919.jpg

Tried the fix broken links tool. 

Still nothing appears when use the <a> drive method to direct it to 

Just blank.

I then did the same process on my original laptop.  The Media folder shows nothing there.  But the files are all there and linked and can open. 

Flummoxed and feeling very guilty that I have taken up so much of your time.

#33 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3978 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 04:59 PM

Ok, so the paths are the following. They look the same to me on both machines.

old machine  C:\Users\Pam\Documents\Roots Magic 7 Backup\Media
new machine  C:\Users\Pam\Documents\Roots Magic 7 Backup\Media

The filenames are the following

old machine  ????? (I don't see it posted)
new machine  1939 Register Jack H Haughton b 1919.jpg   (this is after the funny date stuff was removed)

So I can't do a comparison. Also, what is the file path in RM's Lists>Media gallery? Can you copy and paste the entire file string out of RM for this particular file intoa message?

After seeing the file names, I'm beginning to wonder if they differ by having a missing blank or an extra blank somewhere. Differences in blanks can be very hard to see. I like to copy and paste such things right above and below each other into Notepad so such subtle differences become more obvious.

I think it's becoming more and more apparent that the root cause is that something introduced those funny 2017_12_02 10_09_10UTC strings into your file names. After that happened, there is no way RM can find the files and no way Fix Broken Links can fix anything. The prime suspect is surely OneDrive.

I realize this is an RM forum and not a Windows forum and not a OneDrive forum. But things like Windows and OneDrive problems can be just as deleterious to RM in the Windows environment as the recent Catalina and 64 bit problems have been to RM in the Mac environment. So I shall continue. Until recently (like within the last year or so), my sense has been that things like Dropbox and OneDrive and GoogleDrive and the like were very similar - keep a working folder on your local hard disk and mirror it to the cloud. So your data is never really in the cloud. It's really local and you are just making a copy in the cloud. Oh, and the copy in the cloud can be further mirrored to a second machine as a way to sync two machines together. So far, so good.

But sometime in the relatively near past, OneDrive started going much further. It started removing files from your local hard disk and keeping them only in the cloud. Then if your Windows system tried to open the file, OneDrive would restore it for you, hopefully fairly quickly. When OneDrive started doing this it started wreaking havoc with my files, and I have therefore largely quit using OneDrive entirely. 

But these days Microsoft seems to be trying to get every Windows user to put all their data on OneDrive. I am not pleased. I primarily use Dropbox instead. It has problems of its own sometimes, mainly that it is too aggressive about how quickly it copies local files to the cloud. But I circumvent these problems by judicious pausing and resuming of Dropbox, and I'm a happy Dropbox user. I realize I may be being Chicken Little about OneDrive. But if the problems end up being as severe as they appear that they might be, I'm not sure what Windows users in general and RM users on Windows in general are going to do. Microsoft can be very stubborn and sure they are right and that users are wrong on such issues.

Jerry

#34 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 08:17 PM

What happens if you take some new photo from your camera and store it in your media folder? Then link this new photo to some person.

If this works, you have a starting place to work from.  

Even better, maybe even create a new "Test" database with one person in it and link the photo to this solitary person.

With a new photo and a newly created database, it avoids all of your past attempts.  A fresh start.!!

#35 Muppet81

Muppet81

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 11:23 PM

What happens if you take some new photo from your camera and store it in your media folder? Then link this new photo to some person.

If this works, you have a starting place to work from.  

Even better, maybe even create a new "Test" database with one person in it and link the photo to this solitary person.

With a new photo and a newly created database, it avoids all of your past attempts.  A fresh start.!!

Thanks John.  Have tried this and it seems to work.  It now appears that my Media folder is corrupted.  As is my backup Media folder.  

#36 Muppet81

Muppet81

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 December 2019 - 11:36 PM

new machine  1939 Register Jack H Haughton b 1919.jpg   (this is after the funny date stuff was removed)

So I can't do a comparison. Also, what is the file path in RM's Lists>Media gallery? Can you copy and paste the entire file string out of RM for this particular file intoa message?

After seeing the file names, I'm beginning to wonder if they differ by having a missing blank or an extra blank somewhere. Differences in blanks can be very hard to see. I like to copy and paste such things right above and below each other into Notepad so such subtle differences become more obvious.

I think it's becoming more and more apparent that the root cause is that something introduced those funny 2017_12_02 10_09_10UTC strings into your file names. After that happened, there is no way RM can find the files and no way Fix Broken Links can fix anything. The prime suspect is surely OneDrive.

I realize this is an RM forum and not a Windows forum and not a OneDrive forum. But things like Windows and OneDrive problems can be just as deleterious to RM in the Windows environment as the recent Catalina and 64 bit problems have been to RM in the Mac environment. So I shall continue. Until recently (like within the last year or so), my sense has been that things like Dropbox and OneDrive and GoogleDrive and the like were very similar - keep a working folder on your local hard disk and mirror it to the cloud. So your data is never really in the cloud. It's really local and you are just making a copy in the cloud. Oh, and the copy in the cloud can be further mirrored to a second machine as a way to sync two machines together. So far, so good.

But sometime in the relatively near past, OneDrive started going much further. It started removing files from your local hard disk and keeping them only in the cloud. Then if your Windows system tried to open the file, OneDrive would restore it for you, hopefully fairly quickly. When OneDrive started doing this it started wreaking havoc with my files, and I have therefore largely quit using OneDrive entirely. 

But these days Microsoft seems to be trying to get every Windows user to put all their data on OneDrive. I am not pleased. I primarily use Dropbox instead. It has problems of its own sometimes, mainly that it is too aggressive about how quickly it copies local files to the cloud. But I circumvent these problems by judicious pausing and resuming of Dropbox, and I'm a happy Dropbox user. I realize I may be being Chicken Little about OneDrive. But if the problems end up being as severe as they appear that they might be, I'm not sure what Windows users in general and RM users on Windows in general are going to do. Microsoft can be very stubborn and sure they are right and that users are wrong on such issues.

Jerry

Once again thank you Jerry.  You have been amazing with the time you have spent trying to help me.

Sadly, I have to accept that my Media data is corrupted.  I feel One Drive is the likely culprit.  My backup Media data is also affected in the same way.  

I feel so angry that Microsoft firstly made my laptop economically unviable to repair following a forced update.  They then "push" me down the One Drive path and I loose my Media data.  8 years of work.  This is not only photos, but all my stories, census records, BDM certificates.  Basically everything attached to a person is in there, or was!  This may or may not have been the correct way to store media, but it worked for me, till now.

Incidentally, the same weird strings have been added to all my Pictures Folder files and many have been duplicated, but not all.  No connection to RM but shows the extent of the problem. 

There is still the uncorrupted Media Folder on my old laptop.  But as MS killed all my USB ports and mouse, I cannot try transferring it via a data transfer cable, or external hard drive.  

I have looked at the Dropbox option, but, considering my issues with One Drive as an inexperienced user, I am terrified of something similar happen.  

I think that in the New Year I will go back to my local computer shop and see if they are happy to try to recover the Media data for me.  

Thank you to all of you who have tried to assist me.  You are all amazing people and I wish you all the very best for 2020.

#37 Muppet81

Muppet81

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 03:03 AM

Jerry

Apologies for coming back to bother you again, but I thought you might like to know that I have identified the problem.  Just no idea how to resolve it.

I went to a specific media file. 

RM could not find it on the expected path

C:\Users\Pam\Documents\Roots Magic 7 Backup\media\1911 Census Joseph William Haxby b 1883.jpg

I went to the Properties and changed the Media path to

C:\Users\Pam\Documents\Roots Magic 7 Backup\media\1911 Census Joseph William Haxby b 1883 (2017_01_18 15_00_05 UTC).jpg

It linked. 

It is definitely the UTC timestamp, created when the back up to external drive was done, which is stopping the Fix Broken Links tool from working.

The process also duplicated each file? 

I also have a lot of media files linked from my old Family Tree Maker days.  These are still in a different Folder in FTM.  Exactly the same problem with these and exactly the same way to fix. 

So, is it a case of for every individual file, deleting one copy and then manually changing the path?  That will never get done sadly.  One last desperate hope that someone may have an idea how to resolve this.  

#38 dhwalt

dhwalt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 06:31 AM

:D 

REF.
"Still nothing appears when use the <a> drive method to direct it to

Just blank."

The broken links dialog is looking for folders - no folders then as you have found an apparently blank screen. Click on the OK button and then RM7 will look for files - they appear in your Media Gallery window with or without the red X. What you are seeing is as expected.

There is a resolution without the need to individually rename 100s of files but it will require you to expand your IT skills. The help suggestions can be somewhat overwhelming from people that in general have years of experience and well developed computer skills. When I get to the point where disaster, appears, to be the next move and I am out of patience then taking a break is always a good idea. Your problem will not fix itself but certainly will not worsen by taking your attention off it for a few days.

You are in a situation where backup files have been renamed by the addition of a timestamp and your RM7 software will not recognize them relative to the original name. To compound that it looks as if there are multiple timestamped copies.

Make a backup copy of the RM media folder on your new PC and work with that rather than the original.

*All below refer to this backup and assumes you have not been able to access the old laptop's media folder.

On your new PC in the RM7 media backup folder.
Start by pruning back to a single copy of each file - if you sort, in File Explorer, on date modified then that will probably group the duplicates which can then be deleted in blocks. That retained and unedited original media folder is important, should you delete from the backup by mistake.

Using your example:
C:\Users\Pam\Documents\Roots Magic 7 Backup\media\1911 Census Joseph William Haxby b 1883 (2017_01_18 15_00_05 UTC).jpg
should be
C:\Users\Pam\Documents\Roots Magic 7 Backup\media\1911 Census Joseph William Haxby b 1883.jpg

This is where it can appear that you are moving outside your comfort zone -
In the example above your filenames will be, hopefully, the same general pattern:

Pattern 1 i.e. the piece to retain - C:\Users\Pam\Documents\Roots Magic 7 Backup\media\1911 Census Joseph William Haxby b 1883
Pattern 2 i.e. the piece you want to remove - (2017_01_18 15_00_05 UTC) and similar.

There is a techonology which focuses on pattern matching and pattern replacement. A piece of software will handle this for you - download and install Advanced Renamer.

Setup as follows
Add method - in your case Replace.
Text to be replaced: (.+) \(.+\)
Replace with: \1
Occurence: All
Case sensitive your choice, I have this unticked
Use regular expressions, important - tick the box
Apply to: select Name from the dropdown
In the main window select Batch mode: Rename

Click on the Rename Files tab
Click on Add - Files
I suggest adding a single file
*you should now see, in black text, Filename - New Filename - Path - Error, all auto filled and ready to go.
Click on Start Batch

When happy it is working then add multiple files to be renamed. NOTE you may have more than one pattern requiring a change in the text to be replaced.

#39 Muppet81

Muppet81

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 07:29 AM

:D

REF.
"Still nothing appears when use the <a> drive method to direct it to

Just blank."

The broken links dialog is looking for folders - no folders then as you have found an apparently blank screen. Click on the OK button and then RM7 will look for files - they appear in your Media Gallery window with or without the red X. What you are seeing is as expected.

There is a resolution without the need to individually rename 100s of files but it will require you to expand your IT skills. The help suggestions can be somewhat overwhelming from people that in general have years of experience and well developed computer skills. When I get to the point where disaster, appears, to be the next move and I am out of patience then taking a break is always a good idea. Your problem will not fix itself but certainly will not worsen by taking your attention off it for a few days.

You are in a situation where backup files have been renamed by the addition of a timestamp and your RM7 software will not recognize them relative to the original name. To compound that it looks as if there are multiple timestamped copies.

Make a backup copy of the RM media folder on your new PC and work with that rather than the original.

*All below refer to this backup and assumes you have not been able to access the old laptop's media folder.

On your new PC in the RM7 media backup folder.
Start by pruning back to a single copy of each file - if you sort, in File Explorer, on date modified then that will probably group the duplicates which can then be deleted in blocks. That retained and unedited original media folder is important, should you delete from the backup by mistake.

Using your example:
should be

This is where it can appear that you are moving outside your comfort zone -
In the example above your filenames will be, hopefully, the same general pattern:

Pattern 1 i.e. the piece to retain - C:\Users\Pam\Documents\Roots Magic 7 Backup\media\1911 Census Joseph William Haxby b 1883
Pattern 2 i.e. the piece you want to remove - (2017_01_18 15_00_05 UTC) and similar.

There is a techonology which focuses on pattern matching and pattern replacement. A piece of software will handle this for you - download and install Advanced Renamer.

Setup as follows
Add method - in your case Replace.
Text to be replaced: (.+) \(.+\)
Replace with: \1
Occurence: All
Case sensitive your choice, I have this unticked
Use regular expressions, important - tick the box
Apply to: select Name from the dropdown
In the main window select Batch mode: Rename

Click on the Rename Files tab
Click on Add - Files
I suggest adding a single file
*you should now see, in black text, Filename - New Filename - Path - Error, all auto filled and ready to go.
Click on Start Batch

When happy it is working then add multiple files to be renamed. NOTE you may have more than one pattern requiring a change in the text to be replaced.

Wow!  Looks scary but thanks for so much detail.  My local PC chap is currently copying all my Documents folder onto an external hard drive for me.  He felt the UTC issue arose from doing a backup rather than a copy.  

I now hopefully have 2 options.

You are right.  The amount of help offered on here is truly amazing.  An very daunting to the IT inept such as myself.  Invaluable though and much appreciated.  

Will have to leave everything now until into the New Year.  So that break you suggest, will happen.  Many thanks and Happy New Year 

#40 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3978 posts

Posted 31 December 2019 - 07:53 AM

Since you have copies of your media files on your old computer and since your old computer still works, the files definitely can be recovered, even if you have no functional USB ports on your old computer. Even though you are leery of  Dropbox after your OneDrive experience, I would still suggest using Dropbox as a temporary measure to get your files moved. It should be extremely safe if you do it as follows.

1. You can create a Dropbox account for free on your old computer that will hold 2GB of data. It would be wonderful if all your media files will fit within the 2GB. If not, the files could be moved from the old computer to the new computer in batches that do not exceed 2GB in each batch. Creating the Dropbox account will create a Dropbox folder on your old computer.
  2. Copy (DON'T MOVE) your media files on the RM media folder on your old computer to your Dropbox folder on your old computer.
  3. Wait, wait, wait until Dropbox copies all the files from the Dropbox folder on your old computer to the cloud. It can take a while, depending on how much data there is and on how fast your Internet connection is. It could be a few minutes or a few hours. If it's a few hours, don't sit and watch it. Dropbox will create an icon in your task bar. If you hover your mouse over the icon, you can see how far along it is and you can see when it is done.
  4. Install the same free Dropbox account on your new computer. Don't create a second free account. You have to use the same free account. This will create a Dropbox folder on your new computer.
  5. Wait, wait, wait until Dropbox copies your media files from the cloud to the Dropbox folder on your new computer. Again, it could take a few minutes or many hours. It should take roughly the same amount of time as it took to go from the old computer to the cloud in the first place. Again, the installation of Dropbox will place a Dropbox icon in your task bar and you can monitor progress by hovering the mouse over the icon.
  6. Copy (DON'T MOVE) your media files from the Dropbox folder on your new computer to your RM media folder on your new computer.
  7. You should be done at this point because you have already made the file path on your new computer the same as on your old computer. But even if there were a file path problem at this point then Fix Broken Links should now work because the file names in your RM media folder should now match the file names in the RM media gallery.

I have been trying to think of any gotcha's that could cause you to lose the original good copy of your media files on your old computer if you follow this procedure. The only point of danger is step #2. If you were to MOVE instead of COPY by accident at that point, you would no longer have your original media files in your original media folder. The files would still exist in your Dropbox folder, but it's safer to preserve the original copy. So be sure to COPY and not MOVE at this point. The reason I emphasize this issue so much is that I don't quite trust Windows File Explorer or myself in this situation to use the drag and drop feature of Windows File Explorer. I'm never quite sure when it's going to do a MOVE vs. when it's going to do a COPY. So I always right click in the source location and choose the COPY option. Then I right click in the destination location and choose the PASTE option. If you do it in that fashion then it should be extremely safe.

The process should be extremely easy if your total amount of data is less than 2GB. If it's more than that, you might want to enlist some help from somebody with computer expertise to help you copy the files as I have described in multiple batches.

Jerry