5 replies to this topic

#1 reborrell

reborrell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 06:57 PM

The last few times I've run RM7 and tried to back up, I get an error that "the process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process".  I have gone in and "ended" of running processes that might be causing the problem, but I still have the error.

The only way I'm able to back up is to close the file, reboot the computer, then open up RM and backup the file.

Any suggestions?

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8640 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 08:03 AM

Is your database inside of cloud storage, like Dropbox, OneDrive or GoogleDrive?

Have you tried restarting the computer and then seeing if you can create a backup?

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6416 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 08:46 AM

I wonder if merely restarting RM gets around the error. You may have tried that and failed but did not say so explicitly.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3825 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 01:41 PM

There is some task running in your Windows system that has the RM database open.

I run Dropbox which will read the RM database. I pause Dropbox when I am using RM, and failing to pause RM can sometimes create the symptoms you are describing. Much more often, I shoot myself in the foot a different way. Namely, I use an SQLite manager to run SQL queries against my RM database. If I forget to terminate the SQLite manager before I exit from RM, RM's backup will fail as you describe. I can exit RM without a backup in this situation and it's completely uneventful. But apparently an RM backup has to have exclusive control of the database in order to function.

Are you running any software at all that might be reading your RM database?

Jerry

#5 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6416 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 03:29 PM

RM itself is guilty of leaving a lock of sorts on the database that its own SQLite engine doesn't mind but the zip module it uses for backup objects to.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#6 reborrell

reborrell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 27 December 2019 - 04:01 PM

It seems to have been caused by Goggle Drive running in background.  I think I have it corrected now.  Thanks for all the help!