• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 szvacek

szvacek

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 11:39 AM

Ok, I have been avoiding this as long as I can, but must now do.  I bought a new laptop. Both old and new have Windows 10.  All my files are located in either the Documents or Pictures folders under "C:/user/"  On my old laptop, my user folder was named "Stephen."  On my new laptop, the user folder is "szvac"  I thought, no problem, will just rename the user folder on the new laptop the same as the old one.  After reading up on this, bad idea.

So, I have transferred file and folder structure from the old laptop to the new, so that should match exactly except the path on the new laptop is now C:/User/szvac instead of c:/User/Stephen.

I have have a new install of Rootsmagic 7 on the new laptop (bought it with the version 8 upgrade coupon).  The data files are on the new laptop, but of course, the media links are now wrong.

I thought I read about a relink function, will that work in this case (please say it will!)?

Thanks

Stephen Zvacek

#2 Bob C

Bob C

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 11:57 AM

Open the Media Gallery and Tools>Fix Broken Media Links

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6296 posts

Posted 25 December 2019 - 03:07 PM

Or use Search and Replace on media filenames, replacing /Stephen/ with /szvac/.

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Nevada Kid

Nevada Kid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 26 December 2019 - 01:55 PM

I do this all the time, moving files to a 2nd computer. Copy your old file, c:/User/Stephen, to a USB, then copy this to C:/User/szvac on your new laptop.

Nevada Kid

#5 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1664 posts

Posted 29 December 2019 - 11:48 AM

I have not for over 20 years ever used my c drive for genealogy items.  When MS does do updates they seem to want to clear out those files that are necessary to keep.  So all my new PC's have the C drive split into two Drives and the second drive usually a D drive & are my genealogy files.  OneNote and C: drive/Users\  seemed to get removed a lot.  So my OneNote is backed up and used as the current database on my D drive from the USB drive I;   

It is easy to copy Control +C a file on the c drive and move it to another USB or a second drive of the C drive. and then paste control+P.

Not everyone agrees with doing this, but I have been happy not to have to recreate a file, that MS decided to close or delete it.

This original suggestion came from our IT people at our work place.  I've been retired for 20 years and have had no problems with losing items from doing this. 

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0