8 replies to this topic

#1 JACRISTA

JACRISTA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 06:02 AM

Can I just ask advice on colour coding please?  I have assigned a colour to each grandparent and I have been giving grandparents children the same colour which of course would include the one child that connects to me, but  should I just be leaving all the children black and just have grandparents in the colour?

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3816 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 07:33 AM

There is not one right way or wrong way or best way to use color coding. Different RM users may use color coding in different ways, and one particular RM user may user color coding in different ways at different times. So you will need to play with it and see what works best for you. And what works best for you today may not work best for you tomorrow or next week or next month or next year.

That being said, do be aware that one person in the RM database can only have one color. So suppose you color your paternal grandfather red and your paternal grandmother blue and you give their children the same color (and one of their children is of course your father). Under this scheme should your father be color coded red like his father or blue like his mother? You get a color conflict when lines cross like this. Some people will go in the reverse direction. Which is to say that they color each grandparent a different color as you describe, and then they color all the ancestors of each grandparent the same color as the grandparent. But if you have any cousin marriages in your ancestry, then the colors from the different lines will clash in the same manner as I described with your father if he had a red parent and a blue parent.

When I started out with color coding, I was very rigorous with a scheme where each grandparent and their ancestors were color coded with the same color. Be aware that if you are using such a scheme and if you add a new ancestor, the new ancestor is not color coded by default. RM does not remember the criteria you used for the color coding and it does not re-apply the criteria automatically as you add new people to the database.

But gradually over the years, I came to realize that color coding was so useful for a short term project I was working on that I would simply clear all the color coding from my database and then color coding some people in a way that made sense for my current short term project. I've been happy with that approach ever since. So I repeat, play with color coding and see what works best for you. And what works best for you may change over time. Don't be afraid to clear all your color coding and start all over occasionally. You do not have to color code each person one at a time. You can color code thousands of people all at the same time.

Jerry

#3 les.warden

les.warden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 03:48 PM

Here's an example of how I'm currently using color coding. I'm currently researching 3 seperate lines back to my Revolutionary War ancestors. I made three separate GROUPS, one for each line. I then color-coded each individual in the seperate groups to a different color. It's very easy for me to look at the screen and see which way the lineage meanders by their colors. Not sophisticated, but works for me.

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3816 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 05:19 PM

Here's an example of how I'm currently using color coding. I'm currently researching 3 seperate lines back to my Revolutionary War ancestors. I made three separate GROUPS, one for each line. I then color-coded each individual in the seperate groups to a different color. It's very easy for me to look at the screen and see which way the lineage meanders by their colors. Not sophisticated, but works for me.

This is an excellent example of what I am talking about when I speak of using color coding only temporarily and just for one project. "Temporarily" doesn't have to mean an hour or two. It an be a week or two, or a month or two, or a year or two - whatever the duration of a project is. Of course, I still run into coloring conflicts if I try to use color coding for too many projects at the same time!

Jerry

#5 JACRISTA

JACRISTA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 02:38 PM

I see I'm going to have to give this some thought, great explanation's, thank you, I appreciate that.

It's just that I wondered if it would be easier to only have grandparents coloured, instead of how I have it now, I would find it easier to follow the line that's mine, or rather, the ones I'm going to pass the database on to would, if you see what I mean, so only the direct line would have the colour, well I think that's how it would work! LOL

#6 Tcluster

Tcluster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 09:32 PM

One warning, and maybe an opportunity for a program change.  I meant to clear the color for the person I was working on, but I accidentally clicked on "Clear all colors."  It cleared all colors in the database, my worst fears realized.  Luckily I had a backup from earlier the same evening, but still, is it possibly something that could have an "Are you sure you want to clear all colors in the database?", or some such thing?

#7 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6415 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 07:06 AM

As for Jerry, I use colour-coding as a changing tool to suit an activity or desired outcome. As an example, some time ago I wrote a SQLite script to color code according to the distance in the relationship between me and others in my database: 

Color Code by Consanguinity Degree

Makes for really colourful lists, indexes, charts...!

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#8 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 03:42 PM

Color coding is a Godsend for those who have been married more than once!  :)

#9 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 459 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 03:13 PM

I agree very much with the idea that color coding can be used many different ways, and that you can change over time. When I first started using RM, I tried to use color to differentiate between families, direct ancestors, etc.  I too ran into the problem that you can only have one color per person. After several years, I have changed my approach and have begun to use color and groups in combination for various projects. For example, I am currently working to perform a complete review of all the data associated with the members of my tree. First, I created a set of "visual cues" to the status of my research of a person. I use "red" to denote that I am actively researching the person. Next, if I consider my research to be "compete", but I still have some "housekeeping" of the data to finish, I change to "Yellow". Finally, if I have completed my review of the data for the person, I then change to "Green". The change is very easy using Tools/Colors. If you view the tree on the Pedigree or People views, for example, it is now very easy to pick out which persons I still need to work on. 

I have also created Groups for the three research status categories. 1) Research considered complete - Green, 2) Data Cleaning required - Yellow, and 3) Actively researching the person - Red. You can then use the "automated color coding by group" feature to change the color for a group, or you can change each person as you go.

To make it even easier to review a given family, I have created Groups for Direct Ancestors in a given family line. (Example: Smith Family-Direct Ancestors). Once you have added the tree members to each family group, you can view a given family group in the People view and sort the members alphabetically. This makes it very easy to concentrate on a given family. The research status of the members will be obvious based on the assigned colors. 

Hopefully this is helpful. Works for me.   :)
Rick

RickL