17 replies to this topic

#1 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6296 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 09:27 PM

Two members of the facebook RootsMagic Users group report that they were blocked from joining the RootsMagic Forums here, receiving a message that "they weren't accepting new members". Is RM Inc beating a strategic retreat from the Forums?

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#2 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3464 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 04:12 AM

http://forums.rootsm...lts=20&st=145802019-12-19-051233-bicubic.jpg

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6296 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 06:13 AM

On my phone, I cannot search or filter as effectively but inspection of several members on your result set suggests that nobody succeeded in joining between Oct 22 and yesterday.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8541 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 08:24 AM

We had to block memberships due to spammers. Those that request membership have been added manually to the forums, but the preference now is to use the RootsMagic Users Facebook group. It's much easier to add images there and the security is better. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3686 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 08:29 AM

I still have a strong preference for the forums over Facebook. I realize the forums have a problem with images, but almost everything else about the forums is better or easier than Facebook - formatting messages, searching, posting a link to a specific message, etc. Just a couple of days ago I was posting a message to Facebook that needed a little special formatting and Facebook wouldn't retain the proper formatting. I very much hope that the forums remain as a strong and well supported communications mechanism for RM users and for the RM company itself.

Jerry

#6 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1547 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 08:35 AM

And, Facebook doesn't seem to worry much about spam and inappropriate content....

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8541 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 08:48 AM

Spammers on Facebook are not nearly as bad as what we had happening here on the forums. I was daily having to clean things up, you probably just didn't see it. Facebook has a way for members to flag inappropriate comments so admins can remove things quickly.

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 John_of_Ross_County

John_of_Ross_County

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 11:27 AM

And this long-time user of the RootsMagic Forum has no intention of ever joining Facebook.

#9 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 11:30 AM

I too much prefer the forums.

#10 craigg43

craigg43

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 03:09 PM

Don't use facebook and don't intend to. 
These forums have been very useful to me in the past. It would be a shame for them to go away.

#11 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6296 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 05:22 PM

I'm sure this forum technology can support moderator approval of admissions requiring a stated reason for joining or moderator approval of initial postings which is a sure way of weeding out imposters and spammers.

Also, this forum technology supports image upload if so enabled as it does for 'likes'. Admin can change those settings.

#12 Trebor22

Trebor22

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 03:44 AM

I've never had a facebook account and don't see that changing in the near future.

Much prefer this type of forum for RM and peer support.

#13 robertjacobs0

robertjacobs0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 09:44 AM

Would it be possible to authorize a willing enthusiast to filter and remove the spam?

It's not just that I abhor Facebook, it's a lot easier to read and follow technical discussions — and perhaps occasionally contribute — on the forum. And, as TomH has said, both images and the like/dislike feature can be authorized for the board.

#14 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1664 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 01:16 PM

I also prefer this forum over facebook for intelligence conversations.  I am on all and the email.

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#15 les.warden

les.warden

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 03:10 PM

I think you're getting some good advice from seasoned/senior members. I, personally, have diminished FB use SIGNIFICANTLY. 

#16 Roberto

Roberto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 December 2019 - 07:16 PM

This is the best and most useful forum that I have been a member of in the last thirty years.  Neither my wife nor I "do" Facebook and don't expect to do so in the future. We actually have lives off line.

I hope that we can collectively find a solution that works for Renee.

Cheers

Roberto

#17 GJohn

GJohn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 12:03 PM

I regularly search RM forums for answers to my 'how to best use RM7 question of the day', and find answers, so I am not continuously rehashing old topics. If FB was my only option, I would re-consider my genealogy product options rather than my current desire to commit to RM8. I deleted my FB account years ago for many reasons, and I have no intention of ever rejoining FB.

Thanks to everyone who provides informative answers on these forums. J

#18 ronv

ronv

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 10:27 PM

I've rarely used http://forums.rootsmagic.com/ because of login problems but they now appear to be resolved.  I realize what a problem SPAM can be to web managers.  On my personal pages I control SPAM by simply not allowing comments or accounts without my personal approval.  That's probably not an option for a website like this. 

Still, I'm with everyone else.  FB has so many limitations.  I can't <CTR> F to search the page for words, phrases, or uses comments.  Forums have the neatest way of organizing subjects whereas FB is chaotic at best.  For my personally, using FB as a replacement for a user forum would be like taking all my printed genealogy, tossing it in front of a powerful fan, pickup it up again, then stuffing it into a large container.  After doing that, finding my pedigree would not be a simple matter.  I've found FB to be a lot like that when searching something specific that I once saw on a genealogy page, or a DNA research page, or a family research group, or -- now let me see, which was it?

~ Ron.V