14 replies to this topic

#1 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 05:57 PM

Codeweaver finally released a 64 bit version.

Any idea when we may expect a 64 bit RM7.

Would that version require uninstalling the current 32 bit RM7 version?

#2 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 09:02 PM

I don't think you'll ever see a 64 bit RM7.

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#3 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 10:22 PM

With RM8 native mac perhaps a year away and half their mac customers on catalina they must to do a 64 bit RM7.

Ancestral quest has released a new version and expect to have a mac crossover 64 bit soon after codeweaver gets done.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6435 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 10:30 PM

I'm not a Mac user but I have read that Crossover now supports 32bit Windows apps in Catalina. https://m.facebook.c...276443932543150

Tom user of RM7630 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 J P

J P

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 324 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 04:33 AM

I'm not a Mac user but I have read that Crossover now supports 32bit Windows apps in Catalina. https://m.facebook.c...276443932543150

Yes, but we need to be a little cautious as a look at their forums shows that some nasty and unexpected side effects are now showing up now it is GA, such as anti-virus products quarantining chuncks of their code. There seems to be more for them to sort. I for one will be holding off for now, particular as I am still on Mohave and RM7 is running just fine (admittedly under full Crossover), Faimily Search and all.

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3927 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 07:32 AM

I agree that surely there will never be a 64 bit RM7. At best, there might be a 64-bit Crossover wrapper for the existing 32 bit RM7. Whether that happens before RM8 is released is hard to know. Just the fact that CodeWeavers has released a 64-bit Crossover does not necessarily tell us how long before it is both stable with RM7 and available to RM7 users.

I'm thinking that RM8 is more like six months away than it is a year away. But I could certainly be wrong. It could be much less than my six months guess or it could be much longer. I have advocated that RM8 needs to become stable and get out the door as soon as possible, even that means omitting some of its new features. The omitted features could then be released in RM8.1, RM8.2 and RM9, etc. But obviously, it can't omit the new user interface, and it can't omit existing RM7 features and then add them back in later. The only thing it could possibly omit to get out the door sooner would be truly new features that are causing problems. And removing features has problems of its own.

Software is a very difficult technology and a very difficult business. Bruce has my sympathy and my support. Fortunately, I'm a PC user so I can continue to run my 32-bit RM7 just fine. I really don't know what I would do at this point if I were a Mac user.

Jerry

#7 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 08:47 AM

clarification Jerry: by 64 bit RM7 I meant the kludge crossover version to carry mac users in the probably long gap until RM8 appears. Mac users tend to keep their software more current than windows users due to normally fewer update hangovers than with microsoft (not this year) and perhaps half are already on catalina and unable to use rootsmagic 7. I have decided to stay on Mojave until I buy a new MBP 13 with the next refresh this summer.

JP: agree there are probably serious initial bugs but mac users should not be running anti-virus programs since these are not needed by macos and cause many problems. The one innoccuous exception seems to be malwarebytes.

#8 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 10:14 AM

I'm not sure if it helps (way over my head), but Genome Mate Pro came up with a 64-bit Mac fix surprisingly quickly (there was a crowd-source funding to buy them a Mac laptop first!) that requires going into the terminal app to get it to run.

#9 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 10:49 AM

Terminal can be dangerous for most mac users. It changes things deep in the OS, requires EXACT command syntax and the commands vary with each OS version. Tinkertool is a safe way to tweaks macs for most users.

#10 kbens0n

kbens0n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3487 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 01:27 PM

Just thought I'd interject the possible consideration that RootsTech 2020 during Feb. 26 – 29, 2020 in Salt Lake City could well be a release date target.

It's still a couple months off and the event will obviously be attended by RootsMagic, Inc. ◔‿◔

---
--- "GENEALOGY, n. An account of one's descent from an ancestor who did not particularly care to trace his own." - Ambrose Bierce
--- "The trouble ain't what people don't know, it's what they know that ain't so." - Josh Billings
---Ô¿Ô---
K e V i N

#11 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 06:29 PM

Terminal can be dangerous for most mac users. It changes things deep in the OS, requires EXACT command syntax and the commands vary with each OS version. Tinkertool is a safe way to tweaks macs for most users.

Agreed, but they made it really easy

https://www.getgmp.c...ac-installation

In Applications under Utilities, double click Terminal, then copy and paste this line:

chmod +x /Applications/Genome\ Mate\ Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/Genome\ Mate\ Pro

#12 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 16 December 2019 - 07:39 PM

Agreed, but they made it really easy

https://www.getgmp.c...ac-installation

In Applications under Utilities, double click Terminal, then copy and paste this line:

chmod +x /Applications/Genome\ Mate\ Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/Genome\ Mate\ Pro

Easy to copy exactly but what if the command has different effects in different macos versions. For example I used to default rename screenshots and change their file format with terminal commands but 2 OS's ago apple dropped the related commands. This is why Tinkertool has a different version for each OS and a reset all changes option.

Apple has changed the interface used for terminal commands which could have consequences for using previously written commands in articles. 

https://blog.macsale...Computing Blog)

#13 BradleyinDC

BradleyinDC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 18 December 2019 - 11:01 AM

Easy to copy exactly but what if the command has different effects in different macos versions. For example I used to default rename screenshots and change their file format with terminal commands but 2 OS's ago apple dropped the related commands. This is why Tinkertool has a different version for each OS and a reset all changes option.

Apple has changed the interface used for terminal commands which could have consequences for using previously written commands in articles. 

https://blog.macsale...Computing Blog)

All I can say is that no Mac users in the GMP Facebook page have noted any problems. Again, this seemed to be some kind of "short cut" for how they were able to turn around and produce a 64-bit version amazingly quickly

#14 mjashby

mjashby

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 10:57 AM

There seems to be some miss-understanding here.  GMP Developers are actually providing a fully 64-bit native MacOS version of their software, but MacOS will block normal installation because the developers are not recognised by Apple (i.e. similar to Windows UAC protection).  The reason is that the developers are 'not trusted' by Apple,  i.e. they are not Apple Certified as Authorised Developers and/or haven't paid for the required certification for this software.

The command they have posted has to be input by a System Administrator and 'chmod +x' is simply a UNIX (Linux) command line command which means install for all users, i.e. By using that command, the user is by-passing normal MacOS security measures and the 'user' is, in effect, stating that they trust the software source despite Apple's warning; and is taking full responsibility for installing the software; and for any 'problems' resulting from installing and/or running the software, e.g. if MacOS crashes or other problems/software conflicts arise following the installation of any untrusted software then don't expect any support from Apple with resolving the problem!

MJA

"A Mac User with Windows & Linux Tendencies"

Windows Genealogy Software: Family Historian 6, Ancestral Sources, RootsMagic 7, Behold, Charting Companion

#15 Rooty

Rooty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 01:11 PM

There seems to be some miss-understanding here.  GMP Developers are actually providing a fully 64-bit native MacOS version of their software, but MacOS will block normal installation because the developers are not recognised by Apple (i.e. similar to Windows UAC protection).  The reason is that the developers are 'not trusted' by Apple,  i.e. they are not Apple Certified as Authorised Developers and/or haven't paid for the required certification for this software.

The command they have posted has to be input by a System Administrator and 'chmod +x' is simply a UNIX (Linux) command line command which means install for all users, i.e. By using that command, the user is by-passing normal MacOS security measures and the 'user' is, in effect, stating that they trust the software source despite Apple's warning; and is taking full responsibility for installing the software; and for any 'problems' resulting from installing and/or running the software, e.g. if MacOS crashes or other problems/software conflicts arise following the installation of any untrusted software then don't expect any support from Apple with resolving the problem!

If that is what the terminal command is for, Apple allows software from 3rd parties after you approve that app either in a popup window or in security and privacy preferences. No big deal and no need for terminal. Security prompts vary with the macOS version and Catalina has a more secure environment. Apple wants to protect users from sneak attack software which is one of many reasons windows needs horribly invasive anti-malware protection and macs don't.