• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Biggles

Biggles

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 06:35 PM

I cannot find a way to copy a full branch of a tree from a specific ancestor on one tree to another.

Is there a quick and easy way to do this.

I how found that my Wife and I share a common ancestor and from this person her tree has about 500 people in it hence I am looking for an easy way to copy from her tree to my own tree.

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3670 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 06:54 PM

Drag and Drop is your friend on this one.

Open both databases in RM at the same time. The two databases will be in two different sub-windows on the screen at the same time.

Drag the common ancestor from one database to the other. A dialog will open asking if you want to copy just that one person, or if you want to copy multiple people. Choose the multiple people option and mark all the descendants of the common ancestor.

First time users of Drag and Drop often get the impression that you can only drag and drop one person at a time, and therefore they have the impression that they will will have to do the drag and drop operation 500 different times. But you can do it all with a single drag and drop, and you can mark all 500 descendants to copy at a single go.

The marking dialog can be a little tricky for a first time user of it. You might want to make copies of both databases to practice on. Once you get the hang of it (which shouldn't take too long), you can do it for real on your production databases.

Jerry

#3 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3443 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 06:55 AM

I cannot find a way to copy a full branch of a tree from a specific ancestor on one tree to another.

Is there a quick and easy way to do this.

I how found that my Wife and I share a common ancestor and from this person her tree has about 500 people in it hence I am looking for an easy way to copy from her tree to my own tree.

Many users have found one large database is preferable to many as it is easier to maintain consistency with Sourcing, Places and other core components. Crossovers frequently pop up like in you case and these become more evident in single master database, when you do perform the merge, as Jerry has suggested, work through your Place and Source List looking for duplicates and do a clean up.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do.

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.2, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#4 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 09:02 AM

Drag and Drop is your friend on this one.

Open both databases in RM at the same time. The two databases will be in two different sub-windows on the screen at the same time.

Drag the common ancestor from one database to the other. A dialog will open asking if you want to copy just that one person, or if you want to copy multiple people. Choose the multiple people option and mark all the descendants of the common ancestor.

First time users of Drag and Drop often get the impression that you can only drag and drop one person at a time, and therefore they have the impression that they will will have to do the drag and drop operation 500 different times. But you can do it all with a single drag and drop, and you can mark all 500 descendants to copy at a single go.

The marking dialog can be a little tricky for a first time user of it. You might want to make copies of both databases to practice on. Once you get the hang of it (which shouldn't take too long), you can do it for real on your production databases.

Jerry

Jerry,

Do we know yet if "drag and drop" will work from say RM7 to RM8?

Rick

RickL

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3670 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 01:56 PM

Jerry,

Do we know yet if "drag and drop" will work from say RM7 to RM8?

Rick

We don't know for sure, but my guess is that it would be highly doubtful. If I had RM8 already and if I wanted to Drag and Drop some people into it from a totally different RM7 database, I would expect first to open the totally different RM7 database in RM8. I would expect that this would be some sort of import operation that would leave the RM7 unchanged while making a new RM8 database.. If my expectation in this regard is wrong and that it actually converts the RM7 database to RM8 in place, then I would first copy the totally different RM7 database and work in the copy so as to leave the original RM7 base unchanged. Either way, at this point I would have my RM8 database and my totally different RM7 database now in RM8 format, and I would expect to drag and drop between the two RM8 databases.

There is obviously a bit of guesswork here since RM8 is not yet out the door, but my guess is probably pretty close. The reason I suspect an import from an old RM7 database to a new RM8 database will be the way it will work is that I suspect RM8 will have some new SQLite tables or some new columns in existing SQLite tables or both. It would be hard hard (and probably also very unwise) to try to accomplish such an update in place.

Jerry

Jerry

#6 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 02:26 PM

We don't know for sure, but my guess is that it would be highly doubtful. If I had RM8 already and if I wanted to Drag and Drop some people into it from a totally different RM7 database, I would expect first to open the totally different RM7 database in RM8. I would expect that this would be some sort of import operation that would leave the RM7 unchanged while making a new RM8 database.. If my expectation in this regard is wrong and that it actually converts the RM7 database to RM8 in place, then I would first copy the totally different RM7 database and work in the copy so as to leave the original RM7 base unchanged. Either way, at this point I would have my RM8 database and my totally different RM7 database now in RM8 format, and I would expect to drag and drop between the two RM8 databases.

There is obviously a bit of guesswork here since RM8 is not yet out the door, but my guess is probably pretty close. The reason I suspect an import from an old RM7 database to a new RM8 database will be the way it will work is that I suspect RM8 will have some new SQLite tables or some new columns in existing SQLite tables or both. It would be hard hard (and probably also very unwise) to try to accomplish such an update in place.

Jerry

Jerry

OK,

I just have been thinking about how to handle RM7 tree members that have not been thoroughly reviewed/revised before I put them in RM8. I get what you are saying about creating two RM8 databases, one from RM7 and the other a "new" and improved version in RM8. I would then only update (or drag and drop) into the new RM8 tree after revisions have been made to the old tree. This way my new RM8 tree would be "clean". Sorry to ramble, well we will just have to wait and see.....

Thanks

Rick

RickL

#7 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8526 posts

Posted 19 December 2019 - 06:00 PM

Drag n Drop between versions has never worked. Neither can you drag n drop between RM To-Go and the desktop version. It has to be done inside the same program between databases.

Renee
RootsMagic

#8 Rick Landrum

Rick Landrum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 20 December 2019 - 08:19 AM

Drag n Drop between versions has never worked. Neither can you drag n drop between RM To-Go and the desktop version. It has to be done inside the same program between databases.

Thanks Renee,

Got it

Rick

RickL