7 replies to this topic

#1 JACRISTA

JACRISTA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 10:48 AM

Hi All, I'm probably asking the impossible here, but here goes anyway.. is it possible to change the order in which facts show in 'edit person'?

It's just that it all seems a bit random and would be much better if I could choose the order. I'm not expecting it to be possible, but anyway it's worth the ask.

Thanks Jacrista 

#2 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1535 posts

Posted 12 December 2019 - 01:35 PM

You can use the Sort Date for each fact to control the sequence displayed.

Help > Contents > Search > sort date > Edit a fact

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8528 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 08:22 AM

You can add -1, -2, -3 after the sort date to control the order when the dates are the same. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 JACRISTA

JACRISTA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 02:30 PM

Thanks for the replies, I'm not quite grasping it to be honest, it's not facts with a date that I would want to sort but for example, 'media', or facts I have added myself such as, 'Family Seat'  'kinship'  or 'residence', that sort of thing, the facts I have with a date are in the date order it's just these other facts that I don't have a date in the 'date field' that seem to land randomly that I would like to have in my own order, if you see what I mean. Is that possible to do?

#5 zhangrau

zhangrau

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1535 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 04:09 PM

Yes.

You can leave the Date field blank, and still enter a Sort Date.

#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8528 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 05:08 PM

The Sort Date will never be seen by reports. It's for control purposes in sorting facts. As zhangrau mentioned you can leave the date field blank. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#7 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3670 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 06:59 PM

In general, RM doesn't really do exactly what you want to do. It's like maybe that you would like to group your residence facts all together or group your census facts altogether and things like that.

You can manually coerce your facts into any order you wish by using sort dates, but it can be pretty labor intensive to do so for everybody in your database. Also (and I've never tried such massive re-ordering of facts myself), but I think that if you re-order your facts with sort dates, the facts will print in reports in the same order you have re-ordered them. This may or may not be your desired outcome. I would play with it for one or two people before I committed massively to doing it for my whole database.

Jerry

#8 JACRISTA

JACRISTA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 07:30 AM

Thanks for the help everyone, I think I'll do as you suggest and just have a play around with a couple of the people and see what I come up with. Thanks