• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Norm Lewis

Norm Lewis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 10:19 AM

I would like to add footnotes to reports for explanations, but not as sources.   I have tried playing around with creating source templates, but the only problem is that "footnote" gets added in its entirety as a entry in the bibliography. Has anyone found a work around for this - create a footnote (and presuming the only way is via a source template) without it generating a bibliography entry?  I have tried to just leaving the bibliography format blank in the source template creation, but Rootsmagic just defaults to using the entire text of the "note":

Thanks in advance,

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3611 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 11:26 AM

I don't quite understand your question. RM's source templates (including the Free Form template) generate three sentences - the footnote sentence, the short footnote sentence, and the bibliography sentence.

• If you request footnotes at the bottom of each page, then RM will use the footnote sentences and the short footnote sentences as numbered citation sentences. No bibliography sentences will appear.
  • If you request footnotes at the end of the report (also called endnotes), then RM will use the footnote sentences as numbered citation sentences. No short footnote sentences or bibliography sentences will appear.
  • If you request a bibliography, then RM will use the bibliography sentences to create an alphabetized and unnumbered bibliography. These are no citations, and no citation superscripts will appear in the body of your report. No footnote sentences or short footnote sentences will appear.

In the case of both RM's "sources" and RM's "citations", you may include two different free form notes, essentially a note field and a comment field.  What RM actually calls these fields varies a great deal in different places in the RM user interface, so any particular thing I call them is therefore bound to be confusing. The note and comment fields associated with RM's "sources" cannot be included in narrative reports at all - neither as a part of footnotes, endnotes, or a bibliography. The note and comment fields associated with RM's "citations" can be included in narrative reports at the bottom of the page in narrative reports as a part of citation footnotes and at the end of reports as a part of citation endnotes. They cannot be included as a part of a bibliography. Unfortunately, there are no source template variables for these note and comment fields. Rather, they are a report option that is all or nothing for every footnote or endnote in the whole report. I'm hoping this problem of no source template variables for the note and comment fields will be fixed in RM8, but we don't yet know if it will be fixed in RM8 or not.

So with all that in mind, could you describe in a little more detail what you want to appear in RM's narrative reports as a footnote?

Jerry

#3 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 11:52 AM

Isn't the issue that RM7 synthesises the Bibliography sentence in the absence of a defined Bibliography sentence? Thus you cannot have a simple footnote without something from it appearing in the Bibliography?

Tom user of RM7550 FTM2017 Ancestry.ca FamilySearch.org FindMyPast.com
SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#4 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 08:28 PM

Currently, about all you can do is to enter some uniquely coded string consistently in the sentence template for Bibliography in the source template(s) you use for pure footnotes. Export the report to RTF and use Word to delete all of them from the Bibliography.  

That means you cannot use the same source template for footnotes that you use for cited sources that you want in the Bibliography. The exception is the Free Form but here you have to put that unique code into every footnote's Bibliography field.

SQLite_Tools_For_Roots_Magic_in_PR_Celti wiki, exploiting the database in special ways >>> RMtrix-tiny.png app, a bundle of RootsMagic utilities.

#5 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3611 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 10:39 PM

I probably don't understand the issue, but it seems to me that when you use the Free Form template or when you define your own templates you have complete control over the Bibliography sentence. It's only when you use the built-in templates that you have no control over the Bibliography sentence. Is that what we are talking about?

Jerry

#6 TomH

TomH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6268 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 05:53 AM

The fact is that the user does not have complete control over the Bibliography sentence. Leave the field empty and RM generates one for you from the Footnote sentence. The user cannot suppress an output for a source to the Bibliography section. Try doing so and you will understand how this user-lazy feature is quite unfriendly to the exceptional user.

#7 dhwalt

dhwalt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 06:42 AM

I read the above and, as in the replies, some additional explanation of the original request is needed.

Back to basics - from the toolbar: Reports, Narrative Reports, Source button. This will open a dialogue tabbed Endnotes and Footnotes + Bibliography + Options + Fonts. The Bibliography tab has a tickbox for Print bibliography of sources used. Untick that and no more bibliography. The Endnotes and Footnotes tab includes tickboxes that control citation type and note options (research notes and detail comments) i.e. you can create an empty source for a blank footnote/short foonote/bibliography and have research notes only or detail comments only or...

These options whatever the level of truncation will be indexed as source citations rather than pure 'notes'. You can format notes but sentence templates, in that scenario, are missing.

Dave

#8 Norm Lewis

Norm Lewis

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 08:15 AM

Thanks all. Tom has pretty much captured the problem. Your suggestion of some unique text in the bibliography field that can be searched on once it is in word and then deleted was one of the work around I’ve tried. Another variation I’ve experimented with is to add text in the note field of the event and simple prefaced the text with FOOTENOTE_TXT. After exporting to word, I can search that text and create a footnote. Either way is a lot of post processing and makes Gedcoms messy. I just wanted to make sure I want missing something obvious.

Thanks all.