Jump to content


Photo

MyRootsMagic browser incompatibility?


  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ftipple

ftipple

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 04:56 AM

Using the Safari browser, I am having problems trying to access my tree on http://my roots.magic.com - access is intermittent. Very occasionally I get in, but mostly the search just hangs.

I tried another browser (Vivaldi), and this seems to be working OK. Which leads me to suppose there's something amiss with my Safari settings, though I've not previously had this problem with MyRootsMagic.

Any other Mac users out there with the same problem? I'm running Safari 13.0.3 under OS 10.14.6 (Mojave)

Thanks

 



#2 Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

Robert-Leigh:Pritchett

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 05:03 AM

Yes. I use Opera for best results with FamilySearch and RM7 and then Firefox next. Safari puts up roadblocks.

 

www.opera.com



#3 ftipple

ftipple

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 08:23 AM

Thanks Robert.

 

I was afraid it might be something like that. It's actually quite some time since I visited MyRootsMagic, and there's been a fairly major upgrade to Safari in the meantime. 

 

Have you tried the Vivaldi browser?

https://vivaldi.com

Quite nice, and very fast. And as I said in my original post, it gets me into the website.



#4 ftipple

ftipple

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 04:24 AM

Follow-up: spent the weekend trying to access MyRootsMagic, trying various browsers, with very mixed results. Sometimes I could get in, sometimes not, and never when using Safari. Also tried two online checkers, which reported variously that the site was down / not down, pretty much reflecting what I was seeing.

 

This morning (about 10:00AM Irish time) I tried again - using Safari - and everything seemed absolutely fine. Very fast response from the server, all working beautifully. Ten minutes later we're back to the weekend problems.

 

Could someone - anyone! - in RootsMagic tell me whether the problem is with the site or with me. Please!



#5 ftipple

ftipple

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 06:33 AM

Follow-up 2: I should have made it clear that this is when I am trying to access the public site.

 

There does not appear to be any problem when I access it from within RM itself. For instance I appear to have successfully updated the home page and the content this morning



#6 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

    Advanced Member

  • Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8493 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 08:19 AM

If your website was created in RM6 and you're still using it then the url will begin with myrootsmagic.com.  If you are using RM7 and created the website in RM7 then the url begins with sites.rootsmagic.com. If you are getting mixed results then check what you are entering.


Renee
RootsMagic

#7 ftipple

ftipple

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:26 AM

Hi Renee,

Thanks for getting back to me.

 

I'm using RM7, and following the instructions in "Getting the best ... ", as I have done from the start. As I think I already mentioned, I haven't had a problem until this weekend, so I was completely flummoxed by what was happening.

 

However, I don't know if this is now going to turn into an egg-on-face moment for me, but I just tried clearing the caches in Safari manually, and this seems to have worked. I just hope it isn't a false dawn.

 

Sorry to have been such a pest, but I had given the URL and login instructions to my cousin, and was getting anxious that she wouldn't be able to access it.

 

Thanks again or your help.