• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 emkaysmith

emkaysmith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 10:27 AM

When I'm creating a source for a fact, and I discover that I need to create a new source in the Citation Manager, usually I can copy and then edit an existing source. This is especially true for new census sources, of which I have many and all of which follow a very fixed pattern (the way I do them). Which is fine.

But when the copy is created -- with "(COPY)" behind it -- the view of the list returns to a point where the original source (the one I copied from) is highlighted at the bottom of the view, with the new copy out of sight below it. I discovered that it's easy to overlook the copy and unintentionally begin editing the original instead -- which you definitely don't want to do.

For the sake of efficiency and for improved look-and-feel, the highlighting should be applied to the new copy, not the original. And it should be centered in the visible portion of the list, not stuck at the bottom.

Mike

#2 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1655 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 12:53 PM

Rename your source if adding completely new information   

I figured out how to have one master source for each census year

and have all censuses for 1850 example on one list.  

go to 

http://forums.rootsm...er-census-year/    

Hope this helps. 

Genealogy:
"I work on genealogy only on days that end in "Y"." [Grin!!!]
from www.GenealogyDaily.com.
"Documentation....The hardest part of genealogy"
"Genealogy is like Hide & Seek: They Hide & I Seek!"
" Genealogists: People helping people.....that's what it's all about!"
from http://www.rootsweb....nry/gentags.htm
Using FO and RM since FO2.0 

#3 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Support
  • PipPipPip
  • 8493 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 05:08 PM

The Source List sorts alphabetically. The copy will always sort below the master because it has (Copy) at the end of the name. Focus will remain on the master source and not move to the copy. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#4 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3611 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 08:56 PM

The Source List sorts alphabetically. The copy will always sort below the master because it has (Copy) at the end of the name. Focus will remain on the master source and not move to the copy. 

I'm very, very familiar with the problem because about 99% of the time that I create a new source I do so by highlighting and copying an existing source. The problem is not really with the sort order. I can happily live with the sort order being the way it is.

It would be better if the copy became highlighted, but even leaving the highlighting with the original source is something I can unhappily live with.

However, what really drives me crazy is what emkaysmith described - that both the original and copy are moved from the top of the screen to the bottom of the screen and the copy is often scrolled all the way off the bottom of the screen. And it's the copy that I will want to use IMMEDIATELY and it's off the screen. The original should stay where it is with the copy as is already the case being immediately below the original except at the top of the screen.

Let me return to my comment that it would be better if the copy became highlighted. As I said, I could live unhappily with the original remaining highlighted if only it would stay at the top of the screen instead of moving to the bottom of the screen. But living with it unhappily is still being unhappy. I can't imagine any universe in which I would make a copy of a source without IMMEDIATELY selecting or editing the new copy. After copying the existing source, I would never have any IMMEDIATE use for the existing source. I made a copy because I plan to use the copy IMMEDIATELY.

This behavior obviously will never change in RM7 and it will be interesting to see how it works in RM8. I would just emphasize that the existing behavior is about as illogical and as counter-intuitive and as user unfriendly as it's possible to be. Maybe the new RM8 user interface will make this particular problem better inherently just because of the improved user interface. But if you make a new source by making a copy of an existing one, the copy should be clearly visible on the screen without the screen jumping around on you like crazy and the copy should be highlighted.

Jerry

#5 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1655 posts

Posted 22 November 2019 - 11:26 PM

When I make a copy, I have used my 3 alpha code as the first word on the new source and A is the front of the alphabet, so that works.  I have used * & ! also and it is at the top of the list on Menu /Add new Source /Selecting Source type.  Then I know which ones I have added/changed.  

Genealogy:

#6 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3611 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 07:03 AM

When I make a copy, I have used my 3 alpha code as the first word on the new source and A is the front of the alphabet, so that works.  I have used * & ! also and it is at the top of the list on Menu /Add new Source /Selecting Source type.  Then I know which ones I have added/changed.  

It is true that if you copy a source that's sufficiently near the front of the source list, it literally can't jump to the bottom of the screen after the copy. So I have used this trick to avoid the jumpy around problem where the copied source and its copy jump from the top of the screen to the bottom of the screen after the copy operation. But this is a workaround for a problem that really shouldn't be there. For that reason, I have tried keeping a few key sources I need to copy a lot near the top of the list by the way I name them, but that doesn't always work.

From Bruce's RM8 video, it's looking like you can filter the source list sufficiently to just list the one you want on the screen. I'm hoping that means that I can filter to a source I want to copy and then to copy it without the jumpy around effect after a copy.

Jerry

#7 emkaysmith

emkaysmith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 07:55 AM

Rename your source if adding completely new information   

I figured out how to have one master source for each census year

and have all censuses for 1850 example on one list.  

go to 

http://forums.rootsm...er-census-year/    

Hope this helps.

Yes, I know people who do that, but I don't. I try to maintain adherence to the NGSQ citation standard (which is Elizabeth Mills''s method, really) because most of what I do eventually gets published, either online or in journal articles. Doing source citations the proper way now saves me time in having to correct everything in piecemeal fashion later. I presently have ~3,000 census sources, though not all in one database, (Plus ~1,500 other, non-census sources.) Since the census sources all follow exactly the same pattern, it only takes a minute to copy and edit one in order to create a new one

#8 Nettie

Nettie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1655 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 11:33 PM

Yes they are Elizabeth's suggestions, but adaptable also.  Thomas Jones also has a way and then there is the ABC way.  Have read them all, and...  Know if you can follow the footnote and it will get back to the original record, that is the way to do  it.  There are many other choices also.  

Genealogy: