4 replies to this topic

#1 Dan Yaklin

Dan Yaklin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 09:22 PM

I am trying to generate a modest descendant narrative report in a RootsMagic 7 database. The report is for 4 generations. I have tried on a Mac and the process seems to hang, without generating the report. I moved the database to a PC with 32 GB of RAM and tried to generate the same report. It ran for minutes and finally came back with a popup that says "Out of Memory". In looking in task manager I have plenty of memory available.

I have another much larger database, and I can generate a 18 generation descendant narrative report in a few seconds on the PC.

What could be the issue here?

Dan Yaklin

#2 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8638 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 08:04 AM

Trying running the File>Database Tool after a fresh start of RM and see if that makes a difference.

Also check if changing sources to Endnotes makes a difference. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#3 Dan Yaklin

Dan Yaklin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 09:34 AM

Running File>Database Tools after a fresh start did not make a difference. Changing from "Footnotes printed at the bottom of each page" to "Endnotes printed at the end of the document" generated a report in a reasonable time.

Is there an issue with printing footnotes on each page?

Dan

#4 Renee Zamora

Renee Zamora

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 8638 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 10:44 AM

The only times Footnotes become an issue is if you have too many citations that need to fit on the page. This can happen when you have a lot of sources, or the text in the Research Notes and Comments cause it to overflow the footnote area. 

Renee
RootsMagic

#5 Dan Yaklin

Dan Yaklin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 12:47 PM

That makes sense. Thanks