• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mgbaird

mgbaird

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 12:46 PM

I just finished watching Bruce's excellent 30 minute preview of RM8. I appreciate that work is ongoing and he only was able to show a fraction of the program but I have two comments/questions.

1. On the pedigree screen individual families/lines are color coded as in RM7 but the whole individual field is colored - not the printed name. I found it difficult to see quickly who the highlighted person was. The highlight mechanism is to outline the persons field and the outline width is thin and hard to quickly see on the page. Hope people can understand what I mean.

2. In prior discussions I think I remember reading that a global search and replace function was being considered. In the RM8 demo by Bruce, I did not see any search and replace option let alone a global search and replace function. Will there be such a function?

#2 Jerry Bryan

Jerry Bryan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3916 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 01:59 PM

I agree that the color coding and the highlighting mechanism doesn't seem adequate. There are serious problems in RM7 with color coding vs. highlighting where they interfere with each other. I feel sure the developers are making a serious effort to improve that situation in RM8. But based only on the video, it seems like the RM8 solution is still not where we need to be. In fairness, it is hard to tell just from the video without actually having the software on my computer. But I felt like I couldn't easily look at the screen and identify which person was highlighted.

Jerry

#3 mapleleaf

mapleleaf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 03:36 PM

The RM 8 preview video was very helpful: http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=3328. I have the following comments and questions. 

Family view

One problem I saw was at 10:10 when Bruce showed the Family view window. It looks like for families with many children, RM 8 family view will show only 6-7 children names. One would need to scroll down to see more children's names. I hope there will be a way to see all children without scrolling. Many of my families have more than 6 children. In RM 7, I can see 13 names before having to scroll. 

The other concern with family view is that it doesn't look like I will be able to tell at a glance where the children were born and died, or whether or not I'm missing a birth/date place for a child.

Sources

At 25:20, the Sources window was shown. Is that window supposed to compare with the Citation Manager in RM7? Or does that compare with the "Master Source List" found under List > Source List?

In RM 7, Citation Manager, there is the Master text tab with space to fill in "Source Text" and "Source comments." In the Detail text tab, there is space to fill in "Research notes" and "Comments." Do these two different tabs exist in RM 8?  

~ Debbie

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: RM8