• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 emkaysmith

emkaysmith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 11:43 AM

I'm a longtime TMG user -- I was part of the original DOS-version design group in the early '90s -- now a refugee like so many others, and I've been gradually convincing myself to switch all my TMG datasets to RM. (I especially like that the direct import fuction appears to preserve all the oddities from TMG that don't get picked up by GEDCOM.)

However: I have a number of different TMG datasets for ongoing research projects -- "whole population" studies and such -- and I make heavy use of Focus Groups to keep track of subgroups within those projects. (Like church congregations, Civil War companies, and so on.) Some of those datasets have several thousand individuals in them, and some of the Focus Groups in those large datasets run more than 800 persons each. But when I do the direct import of the TMG dataset into RM, it doesn't pick up those Focus Groups at all.

I know that RM has its own version of groups, and I've played with those experimentally. But I really don't want to have to re-create a large group from scratch by going down the list of people in RM and check-marking hundreds of them, one at a time, to create a new group. Nor do I see any way to add people to RM's groups by specifying "add all descendants" of a person, or anything like that.

Does anyone have a suggestion of some way to accomplish this construction of groups that wouldn't take months to do? Something I may have overlooked?

I would also really like to recommend that this translation of TMG Focus Groups into RM groups be included in the new version of RM!

Thanks---

Mike

#2 Vyger

Vyger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3499 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 12:50 PM

Does anyone have a suggestion of some way to accomplish this construction of groups that wouldn't take months to do? Something I may have overlooked?

I'm not familiar with the dataset of TMG or it's workings, there is a user here called TomH who I believe got well involved with TMG migration at the time and I believe he would be your best hope.

Customers should never be frustrated by things they cannot do - demand better

User of Family Historian 6.2.7, Rootsmagic 7.6.3, Family Tree Maker 2014 & Legacy 7.5

Excel to Gedcom conversion - simple getting started tutorials here

Root

#3 Jim Byram

Jim Byram

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 14 November 2019 - 12:56 PM

I recreated my TMG focus groups in RM. There are simple filters that can be used to add many of the people but others will need to be added manually.

The focus groups are stored in the O and B tables and could be imported to make RM groups. The O table has the focus group definitions and the B table has the members of each focus group.

This is something that didn't come up while we were working on the TMG import. Add a wishlist item for this to be added to the TMG import.

#4 JimDavis79

JimDavis79

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 06:58 AM

emkaysmith, there is a way to do at least some of what you want to do.  Click Search > Named Groups > Manage Groups.  Click the green plus sign for a new group, then click Mark group.  You'll see a list of preformatted choice, plus one that says "Select people by data fields."  That brings up a window where you build a query based on info in various data fields.  If, for example, you've got "Church XYZ congregant" in a field, you can create a list based on that and give it a unique name.

These groups are not live, i.e., adding new people to the database that meet the criteria does not automatically add them to the group.  However, you can refresh the group, or add people singly as you work the data.

Like you, I'm a TMG emigre!

Best regards, Jim

"When you shake my family tree, nuts fall out."

#5 emkaysmith

emkaysmith

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 07:27 AM

Thank you to both Jims! Yes, I've spent most of this morning exploring the ins and outs of groups in greater depth, and I'm figuring out ways of identifying subgroups of people in a dataset so I don't have to add them to the group only one at a time. I'm an experienced end-user but not a techie (librarian/historian/genealogist), so building queries and such is slow going for me -- but I'm getting there.

Mike